• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Subjects- 'What not to pick...' (1 Viewer)

Sparcod

Hello!
HSC
Please share with us which subjects you think, shouldn't be taken up- either because of nightmares you have about it, the high workload, your past experiences, because it's useless for your future.... or you regret taking it.

...also, tell us what, in your opinion, should be chosen.

Meldrum

Banned
HSC
I'm all for picking eng ext2, maths ext2 and (two sciences/ music and history - plus one ext from either). Even though the work's harder you always go well...if only I'd thought to do that.

meLoncoLLie

adores corgis
HSC
don't pick general maths. it's the most pointless subject ever. if you're bad at maths or you hate maths, don't pick it at all. general scales you down heaps and does not prepare you for uni.

avoid picking standard english too. imo, you should only pick it if you are practically dyslexic. advanced english has pretty much the same workload; yes it's harder and requires you to be more critical, but if you work hard enough you will still have a chance of getting band 5 or above. on the other hand, if you choose standard, you're basically placing yourself in the band 1-4 region.

edit: but if you're definitely not going to uni, general maths may be useful.

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
hmm...I think for starters, every subject is extremely different for each person and you must recognise this. IMO though the best and most enriching subjects would be the extensions whether it be for English, History, Math, Languages, VET or the NAS Visual Arts extension. This is simply because they focus and extend your natural talents in a way that the 2u courses wouldn't, and apart from the VET and NAS ones, they all make hefty UAI contributions. What you choose of course depends on the student and their interests and ambitions, for instance a humanities geared person may benefit from a combo like: 4u English, a performing arts subject, a history subject and a social science subject including an extension in another subject. Or a more rounded person may do say...English, Math, a language, a science, a social science or history subject with one or two extensions included while the more scientific person may go for English, 4u maths, and either 6u of science or 4u of science with a computing or engineering subject...and they're all good combos.

EDIT: I would like to add something since I am in a candid, and crabby mood - physics sucks, well and truly sucks as it is the watered down love child between ext math and chemistry with none of the enjoyable bits of its "parents". I also think VET subjects are absolutely yucky as is business and the computing subjects. I also loved bio,*loved* english, and have found some enjoyment in maths and chemistry,I also would have loved to do Legal, Ancient +Ext History, Drama or another language. That said, the bits in this edit may not apply to you in any way, shape or form so meh.

Last edited:

Emma-Jayde

Muahahahaha
HSC
Ext 1 maths, ext 2 maths, chemistry and physics. Best subjects on the face of the planet!!!
I would say don't pick english.....But hey, we don't have a choice do we?!
But do advanced.
Like meLoncoLLie said, picking standard is pretty much putting yourself band 4 or lower

fine ambiguity

almost there
HSC
Do not choose Ancient History. Huge workload. Little reward. Bad.

But maybe the new syllabus is better.

And as chamelia said, don't do two major works. Also bad.

Sweets

objective subjectives
HSC
Modern History. Unless you know you're going to have a fab teacher, then pick it by all means.

Bio- one word, boring

Deffinetly pick Ext subjects they are so great.

NightShadow

HSC
dont pick drama, ext2eng, art all at once..my friend did it and he also cracked lol...(hyperbole but hey)...cause the assessment were all due at the same time

brilliance**

just a member.
HSC
N/A
Smart_Dunce said:
Please share with us which subjects you think, shouldn't be taken up- either because of nightmares you have about it, the high workload, your past experiences, because it's useless for your future.... or you regret taking it.

...also, tell us what, in your opinion, should be chosen.

[SIZE=-2]hrmmm....
do not pick legal studies. omg!!! biggest mistake I've ever made in my whole high school years.
it's nothing more than bs... and all you do is discuss what's moral and what's not.
seriously... extremely uninteresting~ and not to mention.... it's not really a pre requisite for anything... and I doubt law is anything like legal~ XD
hrmm...
if talking about sciences..... I would just pick chem and phys...
bio is a mixture of both... so, really there's no point~
lol -- it's pretty obvious I'm dropping both these 2 subs next year~

eng standard is pretty bad too -- not that I'm doing it... lol~ just... it's not goot~ hehe .... would rather do esl if I was eligible for it.
hrrm....

I'd pick math4 because of its massive scaling for the HSC... and math isn't at all that bad~ ^^;;
.. and eng adv.... I wish I picked up ext seeing everyone in my grade apart from 20 odd students are doing it~
lol~
for prelim, if thinking of going for 10 units in yr 12, I would pick subs which I enjoyed and wouldn't mind dropping~
...*Sigh* wish I did art ... or music~ >_<;;[/SIZE]

:D:D:D

glycerine

so don't even ask me
HSC
no, you are so wrong. yes, year 11 legal eats a dick and is uninteresting. however, year 12 legal is teh sex. don't drop it right away, at least start the crime topic and you'll see.

Libbster

HSC
DO NOT PICK ANCIENT HISTORY!!! :chainsaw: It is too much work!!!

If you enjoy science and maths pick chem, physics and ext maths. I think they are the best subjects because you are either right or wrong, it's not subjective like english

Sparcod

Hello!
HSC
-In my opinion, Chemistry and Physics is a dangerous combination (unless you really, really love science and are good at both)

-Choose 3u maths, in year 11, extension 1 builds on to 2u maths stuff which you can call the 'basics' for extension 1. Simply, extension 1 is like 2u but harder.

Jago

el oh el donkaments
HSC
glycerine said:
no, you are so wrong. yes, year 11 legal eats a dick and is uninteresting. however, year 12 legal is teh sex. don't drop it right away, at least start the crime topic and you'll see.
unless you get really shitty electives like FAMILY :chainsaw:

and workplace isn't too bad if you do economics (maybe business as well, i dunno)

HSC
It depends what you like and what you are good at. I don't think there are any subjects that you 'shouldn't pick'. Although I don't think it's a good idea to do mainly creative/performing arts subjects and other subjects that require major works.

Also that general maths thing is crap. It doesn't scale you down if you do good in it. My sister did it and got 90 something in her HSC and still got a 90 UAI. And her other subjects were Adv. English, Bio, Dance and Society and Culture.

But then I also think the whole scaling idea is crap. As long as you do good in a subject and you get a good mark.. then you won't get scaled down.

glycerine

so don't even ask me
HSC
family's okay, it's interesting on some levels, just really boring on others :p and tedious

personally, i dislike world order, but everyone else seems to like it

stainmepink

HSC
in my opinion, i would avoid picking those subjects that have major works attached to them. If you have more than 2 subjects that require you to hand in major works, like history, art, music, drama, ext 2 english, you are going to have a hell of a hard time handing in the work especially when the due dates are set so close to trials.

I would instead pick subjects which need you to be able to perform tasks using skills, such as maths ext, phys, chem, music 2 rather than just regurgitating crap from a textbook, IE IPT.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)