Success One HSC... (1 Viewer)

kow_dude

HSC
For those who have the lastest Success One HSC Biology (green book),

- Is the answer to 2002 Question 22 (page 255) correct? The answer seems too easy to obtain 4 marks. Plus, i asked my teacher and he gave me a different answer.

- The answer to 2003 Question 16(a) is ECTOthermic. Shouldn't it be ENDOthermic since organism (I) maintains a relatively constant internal temperature over the change of ambient temperature?

Thanks...

Zarathustra

Dasein
The ficticious world of subject, substance, "reaso
HSC
My teacher went through Q 22 and gave the answer in the success one book - its just that its before division - which doesn't matter as its after ratios so its just 4*EBG, 4*EbG, 4*EBg, 4*Ebg

I think it was 2 marks for the table headings etc. and 2 marks for the information. Tables:chainsaw:

What answer did your teacher obtain - I'm interested.

The graph isn't that clear - organism II is definitely ecto - but organism I also fluctuates with ambient temp. - I might post the diagram for others opinions.... or you can:p - or people can either 1) buy the book or 2) go to the official board of studies

Kow_dude - I heard that if you became a member before june 2003 you can have custom status at any time - have you tried?

Last edited:

kow_dude

HSC
I didn't understand what my teacher said for Q22.

For 2003 Question 16(a), i agree that organism II is definately ectotherm. If the textbook says organism II is also ectotherm, wouldn't that be bizarre to have two ectotherms in which the two lines look quite different.

As you said how " organism I also fluctuates with ambient temperature", i think this is so because as ambient temperature gets too high ... the organism is no longer able to maintain constant internal temp, and therefore denature. So the dead body's temperature increases as environment temperature increases... you get i'm trying to say ?

And yea... i didn't know about the custom status, so thanks ~

Zarathustra

Dasein
HSC
As the temperature isn't given any numerical value your explanation seems correct - it would be stupid to have 2 ectotherms - the incapacity for homeostasis to occur at extreme temperatures is well noted.

Question 22 was difficult for me as well - my teacher said it was simple and when he explained (about 3 times:D ) - it did seem simple. Have a look at the markers comments to this question - I will soon. Just work out the combinations of genes without crossing over - I think :confused: - :. one chromosome for every gene (as per diagram) - then just work out the frequency - which happens to be 25%.

If you have done the 2003 paper already (I just did this one question) you should be well prepared for the HSC.

kow_dude

HSC
Also... the graph is labelled as "Body temperature in two DIFFERENT organisms". Since we both agreed on organism II being Ectotherm, organism I must be endotherm.

If you have a look at the next question (b) Name... animal that would exhibit a response similar to curve II, the answer says ..."Australian ectotherm".

Oh... and are u saying that i should be well prepared after completing the 2003 paper??? That sounds insufficient. By the way, are u also in grade 12?
The Book is saying both organisms are ectotherm while the graph is labelled as "two different organisms" :confused:

Last edited:

Zarathustra

Dasein
HSC
Yeah, I'm also in Year 12.

I just assumed that if you did the 2003 paper (which is at the back of the success one book) you would also have done the earlier ones...

What other subjects do uo do?

I've heard that some success one responses are less than Band 6 material and, as you have pointed out, some are just plain wrong:mad:

kow_dude

HSC
Nope, i haven't done the earlier ones.
Yea... some answers are not band 6 material. But that's okay, we can just refer to textbooks etc... that's part of learning isn't it?

My other subjects are: Chemisty, standard english and 4u maths. What about you? And what school are you from ?

Zarathustra

Dasein
HSC
Besides bio, I do chem, ecos, English (adv.), physics and 3U maths - and I go to St Marys Senior High - a comprehensive school:( - but it is #1 school in the Mt Druitt area and #2 in Penrith:p

This is just a conversation between us two, this thread will probably get deleted:mad:

04er

HSC
is the success one book good? I think I've heard Timmy complementing it before, but I dont think I've ever seen it before. Is it available for chemistry and physics?

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
yea, there's a success one for each of the science... i got bio and phys... ironically, not chem, cuz i heard chem success one is abt the best around the three...

kow_dude

HSC
How do you answer this dot point:

- process, analyse and present information from secondary sources to evaluate the effectiveness of vaccination programs in preventing the spread and occurrence of once common diseases, including small pox, diphtheria and polio

It is obvious how vaccinations have prevented the spread and occurence of these diseases... how do we write an extended response to this question?

Hey :),

In an extended response you would mention the obvious things, but with an evaluate it is important to include a judgement based on criteria. Mention the facts which make it an effective program. Basically, the practice of variolation has been in use for a long time (variolus matter [pus] was taken and injected to give people who haven't the disease an immune response - assumedly they survived and it was a weakened strain they got). Edward Jenner developed the vaccine when he realised milkmaids who have had cowpox didn't get smallpox or if they did it was a less severe case. The vaccination program was so effective that in 1960, the WHO declared smallpox eradicated. The only remains are stores in secure laboratories in a few locations, but there is some contraversy wether the former Soviet Union still has stores. There is a debate wether they should be kept for research or destroyed, but even if destroyed they would be able to manufacture vaccine from the vaccinia virus.

The giving of a vaccine prevents a more debilitating form of the disease and it also prevents death, but one in a thousand people who get the smallpox vaccine develop serious complications like allergic reaction/anaphylactic shock. But this is better than the 30% mortality rate of smallpox.

Long-lasting protection is also adding to its effectiveness - 10 years actually. And the ease of administering (using a biflurcated syringe) the dose is also positive, but it leaves a scar which is negative.

kow_dude

HSC
Oh thanks MaryTylerMoore, does that mean i also have to evaluate the effectiveness of vaccinations in diphtheria and polio too?... since it says "including".

Also... for the trials, are the teachers buying the exams papers or are they making it themselves?

The syllabus states "process, analyse and present information from secondary sources to evaluate the effectiveness of vaccination programs in reventing the spread and occurrence of once common diseases, including smallpox, diphtheria and polio."

I took that to mean to evaluate just one, but I am now thinking that you are correct.

For polio, the disease caused the paralysis of thousands of children who were infected. In the mid 1950s, like 1955, a vaccine was developed which was injected, however in the early 1960s, one was developed which could be taken by mouth. Although outbreaks still occur (due to varying views of immunisation), incidence are far less common. In fact, numbers are down by 80%. The ease of administering the innoculation made it very suitable. Polio is found in six countries in some major hot spots. Although the vaccine is effective, many countries have stopped performing preventive immunisation campaigns.

Six countries in the world were polio-endemic at end-2003, the lowest-ever number. They are Nigeria, India, Pakistan,
Niger, Afghanistan and Egypt.
• In 2004 (as of 13 April 2004), 89 cases have been reported, 63 of which are in Nigeria. Of note is the significant
decrease in cases in India - 8 cases have been reported in 2004, compared to 68 for the same period in 2003.
• Of further note is the absence of polio cases in Egypt in 2004 (last positive environmental sample on 6 January 2004).
• The majority of polio cases globally can be linked to just six states or provinces — Kano (Nigeria), Uttar Pradesh and
Bihar (India), North West Frontier Province, Sindh and Punjab (Pakistan).
• The goal of the Global Polio Eradication Initiative, spearheaded by national governments, the World Health
Organization, Rotary International, the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and UNICEF, is to interrupt
transmission of wild poliovirus by end-2004 leading to global certification by 2008.

However, diptheria is a bacterial infection. According to the WHO "it was a cyclical epidemic disease but, with rising immunisation levels in all countries, epidemics gave way to sporadic cases and intermittent outbreaks of low intensity. This change occurred in the 1940s and 1950s in most industrialized countries, coinciding with an increased use of DTP. No longer was diphtheria thought of as a child killer. Tropical countries are more likely to experience cases of skin infection than the outbreaks of diphtheria which, in cooler climates, tend to be nasopharyngeal infection.

"Recent large epidemics of diphtheria in several countries of Eastern Europe again called attention to this disease. They highlighted the need for the following five major activities in diphtheria control: adequate surveillance; high levels of routine immunization in appropriate age groups; prompt recognition, appropriate case management and the availability of adequate supplies of antibiotics and antitoxin; rapid case investigation and management of close contacts; outbreak management.

They continue in saying "The priority for every country is to reach at least 90% coverage with three primary doses of DTP as early as possible in the schedule. DTP is the core vaccine in childhood immunization services. Since 1990 the global coverage for this triple vaccine has only been around 80%.

Where resources permit, additional doses of DTP should be given after completion of the primary doses. However, the need and timing for such additional booster doses should be addressed by individual national programmes.

In countries where pertussis is no longer a public health problem, bivalent vaccine in its paediatric form (DT) may be used for booster doses in preschool children. The adult form (Td) should be used for booster doses in children aged seven years and over and in adolescents and adults. The following three DTP immunization schedules are in widespread use:

"Three doses: three primary doses of DTP vaccine given during the first year of life; four doses: primary series of three doses reinforced with a booster dose usually administered around the second or third year of life; five doses: primary series of three doses reinforced with a first booster dose in the second year of life and a second booster given before entering school at the age of four to six years."

In all these instances, a public health campaign was initiated by a global health organisation (WHO). They have reduced the incidence of once common diseases dramatically and instead they are just sporadic and usually isolated cases. Although side effects result from immunisation, this can be expected, but overall, vaccination programs are effective based on the above criteria.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)