Suggest a new game to buy. (1 Viewer)

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
So can someone suggest a new game for me to buy? I have only ever owned two games in my whole life (Doom & Battlefield 1942) because I have never really been interested in them. I have played a few others though (Wolfenstein, Settlers II and III, Command and Conquer, Warcraft II, Age of Empires):).

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
LOMAC, Call of Duty, Need for Speed: Underground, Command and Conquer:Generals etc.

Collin

HSC
N/A
Doom 3, when it comes out. You won't regret it. Similarly, Half Life 2.

However you may need a PC with reasonable amounts of processing power and primary memory aswell as a pretty decent graphics card (ATi Radeon 9700+ or Nvidia Geforce FX+) to be able to run it at decent quality.

Here's some Doom 3 pics.

It really depends on the type of games you prefer though, you may be into real-time strategy, as opposed to First Person shooters. A good place to look is on Gamespot, on their top reviews list.

RUB!X

Bergkamp 10
HSC
doom 3, WOW, fifa 2004, cs cz, ut2004 ...

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
Originally posted by Person
i assume you mean pc only

try
Unreal Tournament 2004
or
BF:vietnam
Yes, I meant computer games only. I have heard that Unreal Tournament 2004 is good, so I might have a look at that. I am sick of Battlefield 1942, so I won't bother with Vietnam:).

Originally posted by Xayma
LOMAC, Call of Duty, Need for Speed: Underground, Command and Conquer:Generals etc.
What is LOMAC? I will have a look at Call of Duty. I have played heaps of Racing games before (including Need For Speed: Underground), so I am kind of sick of those, I get bored with them easily. I will also have a look at Command and Conquer: Generals:).

Originally posted by JKDDragon
Doom 3, when it comes out. You won't regret it. Similarly, Half Life 2.

However you may need a PC with reasonable amounts of processing power and primary memory aswell as a pretty decent graphics card (ATi Radeon 9700+ or Nvidia Geforce FX+) to be able to run it at decent quality.
I know about Doom III, but my computer will unfortunately not be powerful enough (Radeon 9000 Pro and 512 MB RAM PC2700):(.

It really depends on the type of games you prefer though, you may be into real-time strategy, as opposed to First Person shooters. A good place to look is on Gamespot, on their top reviews list.
I think I am looking for a First Person Shooter this time around:). I will have a look at Gamespot though, thanks:).

Originally posted by RUB!X
doom 3, WOW, fifa 2004, cs cz, ut2004 ...
What is WOW and CS CZ:confused:?

HSC
CS CZ- counterstrike condition zero

if you're into driving games, (as i am), you should get colin mcrae rally 4, NFS: underground, WRC...

Collin

HSC
N/A
What's your processor speed? 512MB DDR PC 2700 isn't bad, it's exactly what I have now at the moment too actually, and it will do for most games.

Your graphics card will be fine for many titles, but for most new FPS's.. it'll struggle unfortunately.

If you've got some cash, it would be worth it in my opinion to invest in a Radeon 9800 PRO. Pretty cheap nowadays for a card with pretty good performance. Never buy the SE version of Radeons, they're like the Nvidia MX versions of their Geforce 4s.. = crap.

Unreal Tournament 4 certainly is a hella fun game. Don't really want to speculate how well you'll be able to run on your computer, but it's always worth giving a go.

Another pretty old game now is Quake 3 Arena. Pretty good graphics, will run pretty well on your card, and provided you download some hell fun mods such as Rocket Arena, you'll be having a fantastic time fragging online.
I got addicted to this game on my Geforce 2, and played online for 8 months.. on my DIALUP. Sure the ping was crap, but I fell in love with this FPS.

As people have suggested Half Life is a true classic. It will run very well on your computer I speculate, and multiplayer rocks.

If you're into Real Time Strategy, I'd even give Starcraft a go if you haven't. Won Game of the Year for a few PC sites/magazines 5 years back, and still addictive.

Mmm.. can't think of anything else right now. :)

RUB!X

Bergkamp 10
HSC
Originally posted by Merethrond
What is WOW and CS CZ:confused:?
wow = world of warcraft
cs cz = counter strike condition zero

for fps games look at project igi 2, dues ex 2 (the invisable war) and halo 2 (when its released)

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
Thief 3.

It's very addictive if you can get into it. I played parts 1 and 2 many years ago. It was awesome.

Note: Requires patience, which many gamers don't possess ;)

Or you can just play Frozen Throne and backstab your allies like me :D

*remembers when I picked undead, unsummoned my goldmine and told my allies "Why won't my acolytes going inside the mine like your peons?"*

muahaha they were pissed :D

Collin

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Ragerunner
*remembers when I picked undead, unsummoned my goldmine and told my allies "Why won't my acolytes going inside the mine like your peons?"*

muahaha they were pissed :D
LOL, remind me not to ally with you if I ever see you online. :p

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
What's your processor speed? 512MB DDR PC 2700 isn't bad, it's exactly what I have now at the moment too actually, and it will do for most games.
My processor is a P4 2.4GHz, which will hand everything fine:). I have heard the Doom III etc. will need 1024MB of RAM to run smoothly though:(.

Your graphics card will be fine for many titles, but for most new FPS's.. it'll struggle unfortunately.
I know:(.

If you've got some cash, it would be worth it in my opinion to invest in a Radeon 9800 PRO. Pretty cheap nowadays for a card with pretty good performance. Never buy the SE version of Radeons, they're like the Nvidia MX versions of their Geforce 4s.. = crap.
How much for a Radeon 9800 PRO? What my graphics an SE or something:confused:?

Unreal Tournament 4 certainly is a hella fun game. Don't really want to speculate how well you'll be able to run on your computer, but it's always worth giving a go.
I would never pay out $100 and then not have my computer able to play the game:).

Another pretty old game now is Quake 3 Arena. Pretty good graphics, will run pretty well on your card, and provided you download some hell fun mods such as Rocket Arena, you'll be having a fantastic time fragging online.
I got addicted to this game on my Geforce 2, and played online for 8 months.. on my DIALUP. Sure the ping was crap, but I fell in love with this FPS.
I will have a look at this one too:).

As people have suggested Half Life is a true classic. It will run very well on your computer I speculate, and multiplayer rocks.
I have heard about Half Life, but I am thinking it may be a bit old:).

If you're into Real Time Strategy, I'd even give Starcraft a go if you haven't. Won Game of the Year for a few PC sites/magazines 5 years back, and still addictive.
I am more after First Person Shooter this time around:).

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
Originally posted by ToO LaZy ^*
if you're into driving games, (as i am), you should get colin mcrae rally 4, NFS: underground, WRC...
I have played a few driving games in the past, and I tend to get bored with them too quickly:(.

wow = world of warcraft
cs cz = counter strike condition zero
Thanks, I will have a look at these too:).

for fps games look at project igi 2, dues ex 2 (the invisable war) and halo 2 (when its released)
These too, except I won't be able to play Halo 2:(.

Originally posted by Ragerunner
Thief 3.

It's very addictive if you can get into it. I played parts 1 and 2 many years ago. It was awesome.

Note: Requires patience, which many gamers don't possess ;)
This too:).

Collin

HSC
N/A
Actually, when I think about it, the Radeon 9800 PRO isn't so cheap, lol. $400. But if you can afford it, it'll absolutely kill off your games and you'll be ripping.

Don't worry about the RAM, 512 DDR 2700 really isn't that bad. Processor isn't bad either. With games these days, alot of the load is on the GPU, so a good video/graphics card is very very important. I don't think your 9000 is a SE, probably just a normal one.. you can always go to the hardware specs of your PC to see if it says SE.

For the ATi cards, for each number (e.g Radeon 9600), you have usually 4 'classes'.. SE, normal, PRO, XT. SE being the worst. Similar to the Nvidia Geforces, you have the MXs (crap ones) and the Titaniums (good ones). The PRO and XT really are pretty good, so if you can afford one above the Radeon 9700.. you'll be sweet.

Your Radeon 9000 should be fine for alot of games, but the main thing I'm worried about when it comes to newer action/3D games is it's lack of rendering abilities, such as good pixel, stencil shaders etc. That's one reason why people tend to for example, prefer Geforce 3 Titaniums over Geforce 4 MXs. The MXs totally lack in the pixel shading department (from my knowledge..) infact, the ability is totally absent from the video core if I'am correct.

So even if your 9000 is able to run modern FPS to good frame rates, it's an impossibility to experience the game to it's full in terms of rendering, texturing, shadowing etc.. simply because your card completely lacks the ability.

Just referring to what others suggested:
War of Warcraft is a spin off role playing game based on the world of Warcraft. No real time strategy this time, from my knowledge.. instead just a big adventure game where you play as one particular character.
My personal opinion on the game isn't too high.. but that's probably because the graphics kind of put me off, and I'm not a big RPGer.
Counter Strike Condition Zero.. I don't know much about this.. is it just another expansion pack for CS? :confused:

Some good FPSers out or coming out in the next year which will absolutely knock your socks off in my opinion is:

Doom 3 (release sometime late July to August)
Half Life 2 (release sometime July, I think)
F.E.A.R (download the 320 MB movie demo off Gamespot if you can, this game is fucking amazing) (release next year or later)
Far Cry
Unreal Tournament 2004
Unreal 3
Probably others I've forgotten...
I'm building myself a killer $4,500 system in the next few weeks.. this year is too good a one for FPS lovers to miss. :)

Anyway, here are some Far Cry pictures running on the best ATi card on the market, the recently released Radeon X800XT.

Breathtaking, is it not?

RUB!X

Bergkamp 10
HSC
I'm building myself a killer $4,500 system in the next few weeks ...
:mad: :cool: :chainsaw:
damn u *drools*

Collin

HSC
N/A
Yeah, it's gonna be pretty sweet. I've waited for this for so long. I've bought 3 PCs in the past 8 or so years.. but none of them with a high budget. Finally I'm able to live a dream and splurge on a dream system.

Currently the highlights of my system will be:
- Athlon 64 3000+
- 1GB Corsair PC3200 RAM
- 160GB Hard disk (will def need that)
- Nvidia 6800 ULTRA (arguably the best graphics card on the market, not even released yet in Australia.. in competition with the ATi Radeon X800XT for the video card crown.. it takes up 2 bloody PCI slots, lol) $900
- Creative Audigy 2 ZS Platinum (high end sound card, supporting Dolby Digital 7.1) $420
- Logitech 640THX $460 (high end high powered 5.1 surround speakers)

What prompted me to purchase all of this? All the glorified new FPSes coming out in the next year, most prominently Doom 3, of course. Imagine playing it at night with all the lights out, with 5.1 surround speakers on loud. Can't fucking wait.

(PS, this post wasn't intended to flex my hardware ego.. or to 'show' off what I'm getting.. I just thought that some people might have been interested. :))

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
Actually, when I think about it, the Radeon 9800 PRO isn't so cheap, lol. $400. But if you can afford it, it'll absolutely kill off your games and you'll be ripping.
Yeah, $400 is way too much for me, how much does the Radeon 9600 PRO sell for now:)?

Don't worry about the RAM, 512 DDR 2700 really isn't that bad. Processor isn't bad either. With games these days, alot of the load is on the GPU, so a good video/graphics card is very very important. I don't think your 9000 is a SE, probably just a normal one.. you can always go to the hardware specs of your PC to see if it says SE.
I still think I would need 1024MB RAM to play Doom smoothly though. Yeah, my Radeon is definitely the 9000 PRO:).

Your Radeon 9000 should be fine for alot of games, but the main thing I'm worried about when it comes to newer action/3D games is it's lack of rendering abilities, such as good pixel, stencil shaders etc. That's one reason why people tend to for example, prefer Geforce 3 Titaniums over Geforce 4 MXs. The MXs totally lack in the pixel shading department (from my knowledge..) infact, the ability is totally absent from the video core if I'am correct.

So even if your 9000 is able to run modern FPS to good frame rates, it's an impossibility to experience the game to it's full in terms of rendering, texturing, shadowing etc.. simply because your card completely lacks the ability.
:(.

Just referring to what others suggested:
War of Warcraft is a spin off role playing game based on the world of Warcraft. No real time strategy this time, from my knowledge.. instead just a big adventure game where you play as one particular character.
My personal opinion on the game isn't too high.. but that's probably because the graphics kind of put me off, and I'm not a big RPGer.
Counter Strike Condition Zero.. I don't know much about this.. is it just another expansion pack for CS? :confused:

Some good FPSers out or coming out in the next year which will absolutely knock your socks off in my opinion is:

Doom 3 (release sometime late July to August)
Half Life 2 (release sometime July, I think)
F.E.A.R (download the 320 MB movie demo off Gamespot if you can, this game is fucking amazing) (release next year or later)
Far Cry
Unreal Tournament 2004
Unreal 3
Probably others I've forgotten...
I think I am just going to write down everyones suggestions and then go into the store and look around:).

I'm building myself a killer $4,500 system in the next few weeks.. this year is too good a one for FPS lovers to miss. :)
Yeah, I have been reading that other thread, sounds good;).

Anyway, here are some Far Cry pictures running on the best ATi card on the market, the recently released Radeon X800XT.

Breathtaking, is it not?
Nice, I like the first one the best I think:).

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
Currently the highlights of my system will be:
- Athlon 64 3000+
- 1GB Corsair PC3200 RAM
- 160GB Hard disk (will def need that)
- Nvidia 6800 ULTRA (arguably the best graphics card on the market, not even released yet in Australia.. in competition with the ATi Radeon X800XT for the video card crown.. it takes up 2 bloody PCI slots, lol) $900
- Creative Audigy 2 ZS Platinum (high end sound card, supporting Dolby Digital 7.1) $420
- Logitech 640THX $460 (high end high powered 5.1 surround speakers)
What made you choose Athlon over Intel? Has Athlon overtaken Intel:confused: and what do you need 160GB Hard Drive for:)? Also, what made you choose Nvidia over Radeon? Do you feel they have the edge:)?

Collin

HSC
N/A
I would estimate that the 9600 PRO would be selling around 200 something dollars.

And yes, you're right, you WOULD need atleast 1024MB RAM to run Doom 3 smoothly.. but I was just pointing out that at your current specs, the urgency to upgrade your video card is WAY higher than your RAM. Infact, you could even consider upgrading to 768MB, since 256MB RAM chips on PC2700 really are cheap nowadays, probably less than 70 bucks or so.. (maybe I'm wrong.. but I think I'm about right).

I really thought Far Cry was good, because in most FPSes, it seems everything was based on a 'level' system in some complex.. if that makes sense. Now this Far Cry game seems to be on a megahuge island with fantastic scenery.. and it just demonstrated the beauty of freedom.. I mean snipering off people over a kilometer away on the top of a exorbitantly high clifftop seems just my style lol.

Originally posted by Merethrond
What made you choose Athlon over Intel? Has Athlon overtaken Intel:confused: and what do you need 160GB Hard Drive for:)? Also, what made you choose Nvidia over Radeon? Do you feel they have the edge:)?
Well, I don't believe neither have overtaken either. First up, you must realise that I'm not one of those Intel/AMD, Nvidia/ATi fanboys who stick with their respective companies no matter how good or crap the products.

I chose AMD because they are generally cheaper. Notice that I'm not buying an AMD Athlon XP chip.. I'm purchasing the new Athlon 64 ones, which are 64 bit. Precisely I'm going for a Athlon 64 3000+, which in benchmarks tend outperform 10% more than the Pentium 4 at 3.0GHz. And it's around 30% cheaper.. so I reckon I would be an idiot to go with Intel there. Not because of the quality of course, just the price. But in my sincere opinion, I do believe AMD has the best chip out there at the moment with it's Athlon FX53 (which costs frikken $1500).

And with the video card, both companies are still very good and most probably equal. Infact, I was going to go with an ATi card until a week ago. The reason why I'm going Nvidia this time is because their cards in general have better OpenGL capabilities and stencil shading abilities, which is what I need for Doom 3. Similarly, if you're a bigger Half Life 2 fan, then you should go for the ATi Radeons. Again with the video cards, none of the companies are outstripping the other at the moment.. if anything it's up to individual games or just miscellaneous personal preference.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)