Suggest study tips, I'm failing! (1 Viewer)

rsingh

HSC
Hey guys,

I just started yr 12 and we started of doing the Motors and Generators topic. The problem is, I don't seem to understand anything in class. Like, I'll touch the "surface" of a concept, but that's it!

I failed physics prelim, but I have to admit I did nothing!

Could someone please give me tips and ideas on how to study for physics? I see so many people getting 80s and 90s and say it is not that hard? Is it really?

Thank you very much!

wanton-wonton

HSC
quit wasting your time on this forum...you already know what is expected of you when doing an hsc course, esp if its physics. that is, it requires a lot of time, esp if you're not bright.

Dash

ReSpEcTeD
HSC
I would get a private tutor if I were you...
It'll be the best way, one on one explanations...

mysteek

HSC
wanton, rsingh has 30 posts in the forum...i dont think thats as much time wasted on creating 237 posts!

Affinity

HSC
1.spend more time
2.spend more time
3.have a "I am not believing this shit unitl I am convinced" attitude

FinalFantasy

HSC
try to understand da stuff in a simple way... don't always think so complicated..
try to "imagine" sometimes, it will help in relativity and the motor maybe...
o_O

Linda N

HSC
N/A
I dropped physics in year 12. This was the subject that i didn't want to do but i have no choice and have to pick it coz of my stupid school timetable.

I was struggling and eventually passed my prelim exam like 60%. Hmm... rsingh, since u failed ur prelim exam, i advise you should quit. It depends, if you think u can cope physics, enjoy doing this subject or pursuing a career in science then don't drop it.

Personally, ur struggling in this topic “motors and generators”, try to find a tutor, use the macquarie revision guide and follow the syllabus.

Last edited:

JamiL

in the northen hemisphere (who saids australia is
HSC
god some of u physics students are evil... the maths ppl are so much nicer. neway physics isnt very hard if u do ur work. i suggest writing sylubus summerys.. get every dot poin turn it into a question (most are already in questions) and answer them. get plenty of sheet and jus work at it. u will find it so much easyer. Also use multipule sources not just 1, i use maquarie guide (or excel), if i dont like the way the phrase sumthing i go to spotlight or jacaranda (or any textbook u have), if i still dont think they answer the question well i thn go to (http://hsc.csu.edu.au/physics/index.htm) this site. and finialy if it still doesnt answer the question ask yur teacher. dont limit urslef. ps use revision guides lke maquarie or excel before text books cos they have what u need 2 know n some textbooks over do it with irrelivent crap

t-i-m-m-y

HSC
I wrote a thread about studying for physics, it might have a few basic starters.

Numero Uno

HSC
Linda N said:
I dropped physics in year 12. This was the subject that i didn't want to do but i have no choice and have to pick it coz of my stupid school timetable.

I was struggling and eventually passed my prelim exam like 60%. Hmm... rsingh, since u failed ur prelim exam, i advise you should quit. It depends, if you think u can cope physics, enjoy doing this subject or pursuing a career in science then don't drop it.

Personally, ur struggling in this topic “motors and generators”, try to find a tutor, use the macquarie revision guide and follow the syllabus.
Far out u ppl are pessimistic

if u want to succeed in physics just spend more time on it
its simple as that
practice makes perfect

specialjenny

HSC
I did do like THAT good, but I did ok.

I completely screwed my year 11 and screwed my year 12 as well. I did better in my HSC exam because I had a tutor and I spent so much time on physics, just reading the same notes over and over and over again.

Goodluck!

JumboKHS

HSC
JumboKHS's obvious theory of relativity states the following:
*The ammount of effort you put in will resemble your final results*
A.K.A *stop bumming around*

-do NOT assume that your teachers will give you all the information needed to prepare you for the hsc. You need to do your own study using other sources.
-use multiple references in study as some sources may leave things out or be missleading
-complete any past papers you can find
-IMPORTANT use the entire 2 weeks notice you are given for assesment tasks to prepare. DO NOT leave things to the last week, there is a mountain of information on everything out there and if you don't have the time to you wont go through it all and you are risking leaving mark scoring information.
-if your having trouble with any particular dot point or something in an assesment task dont be affraid to ask your teacher and/or bos forums.

HNCS

Fanatic
HSC
Be happy

My favourite top is to enjoy and be serious about everything you do. When you study, just enjoy it, and after all that hard work you still don't understand it, I choose to go around everywhere and ask, including every single teacher I know, until I get the answer.
Remeber, just be happy, it's the key to everything.

tomekz

HSC
rsingh said:

Could someone please give me tips and ideas on how to study for physics? I see so many people getting 80s and 90s and say it is not that hard? Is it really?
I also did nothing during prelim year oh and also nothing during the hsc still manged to get into the mid 80's naturally talented :D.. But umm best bet would be try some past papers or there are a couple of books around that go by chapter with questions just do them and over and over again i guess.... would be the best bet.

Moonlite

HSC
rsingh said:
Hey guys,

I just started yr 12 and we started of doing the Motors and Generators topic. The problem is, I don't seem to understand anything in class. Like, I'll touch the "surface" of a concept, but that's it!

Thank you very much!
1. If you don't understand anything in class, ask! Don't worry if its a completely stupid/pointless question - ask it anyway. Don't leave class until you understand everything that was taught - if that means asking a billion questions and thus annoying the teacher & students out of their minds - then be it. It's your HSC after all.

2. Go home and read your textbook, especially the part you learnt about in school. Try a few questions on it.

3. Forget about what happened last year - last year is over. A girl who did the HSC last year in my school came second last in Yr11, and first in yr12. So you can do it! Just change your attitude.

4. Make sure you're prepared for all your assessments. Leaving them to the last minute isn't a good idea, especially in physics which takes time to grasp. You can prepare for them by making notes, flow charts, mind maps, cards - anything that works for you! But make sure you understand your notes, not only memorise them.

5. If you still have difficulty, a private tutor is a good idea. Many people i know who do Physics have a tutor cuz its easier to remember if you go over the same thing twice.

Just work hard, and good luck!

devillian

HSC
get a private tutor
i nearly killed my phys tutor on motors and generators
haha
jsut dont seem to get anything
one months before the hsc, he spent a whole afternoon teaching me motors and generators saying that he wont go until i get it....
and i finally got it!!!!
the whole module seems so easy after you get it

zenger69

Bok Choyer
HSC
Easy tip for passing in HSC Physics:

-Listen in class and get the teacher to explain it to you until you understand (even stay back after class to see the teacher). Also refer to syllabus and make sure the teacher teaches you everything.

-For the maths in the course, do practise questions. The maths isn't very hard.

-MAKE SYLLABUS SUMMARIES. Because most of the Englishish Physics questions are from the syllabus and turned straight into questions.

Know your syllabus summaries well through study, don't really try to memorise them.

You should do well.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)