Suggestions Please (1 Viewer)

Cellie

HSC
Could someone please help me in suggesting some courses that is great to study when i go off to university, one that combines business and visual arts together. I'm in yr 12 atm and i want to know if there is a course i could study in uni. I like to do something in the business area, but i also love my visual art.

Also, with my BOW, could someone please direct me to where i could find some really good pictures on facial expressions in showing strong emotions.

Thanks

up_in_surfers

HSC
well there is a thread at the top of the Visual arts forum suggesting some art websites, the only thing i can sugest is looking through books/websites to find what your looking for. Same thing for the bussiness/art study, look through uni's course list, also try posting something in the uni forum asking the same question, someone there might be able to help. hope this has help

winicat

HSC
some courses allow you to do "electives" at uni, or you could do arts or something. check the course details for the business thing you want to do, it should tell you how many electives you can do.

Cellie

HSC
Thanks for your replies...

at the moment, i am talking to my career advisor and she gave this book to see if i am interested in doing the types of courses available and to see whether i was more interested in doing more of visual art than business and vice versa.....

Thanks for the suggestions as well and i am going to look into the sites and i've also heard about 'electives' in uni..........

Cellie

HSC
What do you members think of doing advertisements for companies and such? There should be a course like that wouldnt there? But shouldnt there something thats a step further than doing advertisements for companies........?

chookyn

poulet de montagne
HSC
as in, writing advertisements and managing an advertising campaign (advertising account executive) or designing layout of advertisements e.g. for print? (graphic designer)

step further of doing advertisements: designing/implementing/managing an entire marketing campaign for a product/service, advertising is just a part of a marketing campaign.

by the way, BA (Visual Communication/Graphic Design) or (Visual Arts)/BBus (Marketing) combined degree is the sort of thing you might be after... anything along those lines would be useful.

i'm doing business (advertising) only as a cert IV at this stage because i'm not a huge fan of business studies :) (although i could've done a combined degree with bbus marketing) but this way allows me to concentrate on design and art whilst gaining some marketing/advertising skills, always a useful thing for a graphic artist to have.

good luck :)

:edit: sees profile - you're doing adv eng, visual arts, business studies and IT? i had those subs also :)

Last edited:

Daemontreu

What.
HSC
N/A
chookyn said:
by the way, BA (Visual Communication/Graphic Design) or (Visual Arts)/BBus (Marketing) combined degree is the sort of thing you might be after... anything along those lines would be useful.
I'm doing B. Vis Comm this year, and at our Intro yesterday, they told us that later on we could pick up electives - like Business, or Marketing - (year 2 or 3 I think it was). So there's really no urgent need to do a combined degree if Vis Comm fulfils your Design/Art needs. Then again, I am biased. :D

winicat

HSC
think about maybe doing some work experience in the type of agency you wanted to work in, or at least doing an industry study of it. this was one "career" i considered until in IT (multimedia) we had to do an industry study and i was just, like, "nuh, sooo not what i wanted to do at all!" by the end of it.

Cellie

HSC
You members are really helpful. Thankz heaps :)

Well, when i went to the open day of the coffs harbour southern cross uni with my school, i went to one of the talks they had for business studies. the thing that most appealed to me was Marketing because the guy mentioned about visual elements involved with it and plus its a businees thing...so that was kinda of a bonus.

i dont know much about marketing though, like the kinda of things it involves on what you have to do and things like that. do you need a high uai for it?

these BA, B. Vis, BBUS and others, how do i find more information on them?

thank you so much for your help :)
much appreciated

winicat

HSC
basically you just have to look at the course outlines on the uni homepages. as well as this, talk to people who have undergone (or are undergoing) these courses. talk to your careers adviser too, cause they will be able to provide you with lots of details about it all. perhaps even contact certain members of the uni's to ask them about the courses and the expected career paths (people like lecturers, head of school, etc).

sleepy_tania

HSC
I also want to study business and art in UNI. I was ganna try for a double degree of Commerce- marketing with Creative Art- Graphic Design and new media... Also look into an arts course in marketing and advertising... also their are marketing electives that you can choose in Graphic design. Well thats what im lookin to do in Uni lol hope it helps....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)