• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Sulphate Content HELP!!! (1 Viewer)

imZerroo

HSC
Hey guys, could someone please help me with these questions?

1. The sulfate content of a fertilizer was measured by dissolving 1.63 g of the fertilizer in 300 mL water, then slowly adding a solution of barium chloride until no further precipitation occurred. After filtration and drying the mass of precipitate was 1.81 g. Calculate the percentage of sulfate in the fertilizer. In addition calculate the percentage sulfur in the fertilizer (assuming that sulfate is the only source of sulfur).

2. To determine the sulfate concentration in a liquid fertilizer (aqueous solution), an analyst first diluted 50 mL of the fertilizer solution to 250 mL, pipetted out 25 mL of the dilute solution, added 200 mL water to it then precipitated the sulfate with barium nitrate solution. The precipitate was filtered, washed and dried to constant mass. In repeated experiments the mass of precipitate was 0.728 g, 0.773 g, 0.722 g, 0.732 g. As accurately as you can, calculate the percentage sulfate in the original fertilizer solution. Justify the procedure you followed.

Gravimetric analysis:

1. The phosphate content of a laundry washing powder (detergent) was determined as follows. 6.92 g of the powder was dissolved in approximately 500 mL water. A slight excess of a solution of magnesium chloride in an ammonia, ammonium chloride buffer was added to this with stirring until precipitation was complete. The precipitate was filtered off and dried; its mass was found to be 1.83 g. The precipitate is pure magnesium ammonium phosphate hexahydrate of formula, Mg(NH4)PO4.6H2O.
Calculate the number of moles of phosphorus in the precipitate and hence the percentage phosphorus in the original laundry powder.
The package this laundry powder came in carried a large letter P, meaning that its phosphorus content was less than 5%. Is this labeling justified?

Any help will me much much appreciated.

K

khorne

How about you actually show us some attempt at them or some reasoning, or go fuck yourself with a 50ml burette.

imZerroo

HSC
Please read carefully.
As I said, any help will be much appreciated.
It's not just these questions, there are probably several others like these.
I need tips and guidelines as to how to do them. (my fault for not making THIS more clear)
I have worked solutions to these, and answers,
If I was a lazy bastard as you suggest, I wouldn't even bother posting up these questions.

Next time, think twice before posting/ accusing.

icyjai

HSC
"1. The sulfate content of a fertilizer was measured by dissolving 1.63 g of the fertilizer in 300 mL water, then slowly adding a solution of barium chloride until no further precipitation occurred. After filtration and drying the mass of precipitate was 1.81 g. Calculate the percentage of sulfate in the fertilizer. In addition calculate the percentage sulfur in the fertilizer (assuming that sulfate is the only source of sulfur)."

Hi imZerroo,

This question is not hard if you understand a few things. For Q1, you must first know that the white solid at the end is Barium Sulfate.
First of all you will need to work out the moles for this amount of Barium Sulfate.
1.81g of BaSO4
Use N = Mass/Molar Mass
This will give you the Moles of BaSO4 which would be the same as the Moles of SO4.
Now, convert this back to a mass of SO4 (will be a lot less than 1.81g as you have lost the Ba)

Use this mass as a percentage of the original 1.63g of the fertiliser.
Theres your answer.

This is a very brief explanation. If you arent clear about anything give me a message

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)