Summarising the textbook! (1 Viewer)

slowjam10

HSC
Does anyone else find it really annoying summarising the textbook all the time?

I have an exam in about a week and a half on the functional properties of food which is made up of three topics and writing notes has been torture. I ended up giving my notes to the teacher and she went through and highlighted the stuff i need to know. She cut them down alot.

Does anyone have any suggestions about how to summarise the textbook more effectively, because i have noticed that the text gives alot of detail they the teacher says we don't need to know, but the problem is when writing notes i don't know if we need to know it.

Thanks for your help:):):)

VuongstER_boi

HSC
use syllabus dot-points. You can print them off board of studies. It's actually really goo d dea..many ppls do it for the sciences..i do it for chem..:)

alcalder

Just ask for help
HSC
N/A
Wow, summarising a text book! OK.

1. Get your syllabus dot points sorted

2. Write the chapter headings that are relevant for that dot point and then the sub headings.

3. Do a mind map of the headings and sub-headings and try to get a good overall picture of the subject and the links. You may need to do a couple of drafts. Perhaps a mind map per dot point or section of the syllabus.

4. Take very annotated, single line notes - not full paragraphs or even sentences, just the essence.

USE COLOUR! The mind will sort and remember things better if you use colour - different colour for headings and sub-headings and so on.

Hope that helps.

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
alcalder said:
Wow, summarising a text book! OK.

1. Get your syllabus dot points sorted

2. Write the chapter headings that are relevant for that dot point and then the sub headings.

3. Do a mind map of the headings and sub-headings and try to get a good overall picture of the subject and the links. You may need to do a couple of drafts. Perhaps a mind map per dot point or section of the syllabus.

4. Take very annotated, single line notes - not full paragraphs or even sentences, just the essence.

USE COLOUR! The mind will sort and remember things better if you use colour - different colour for headings and sub-headings and so on.

Hope that helps.
Apparently girls do better in their subjects because of their encouraged use of colour.
Males often do not see it as masculine with the use of colours.
I guess I'll start drawing sin, cos & tan graphs with colour from now on :)

LiLi.azndoll

HSC
N/A
in my class we dont need to summarise the textbook. We dont even work with it in class. Our teacher gave it to us to refer to it at home. She creates these stupid booklets and makes us copy overheads to fill in the information required in the booklets. arghh i would prefer summarising the text book, as i would learn more rather then copy information out. i agree with the previous posts on ways to learn.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)