summarising (1 Viewer)

philzy

HSC
are we aloud to summarise the textbook and use the info we summarise from the textbook in hsc exams or do we need to site the textbook in the hsc exam as well as using info from excel textbooks coz im not sure about it. also, are we aloud to use case studies statements or sentences we find on bored of studies e.g. Telstra is reported to have moved up to $5 billion in assets to a shelf - company which was establshed theough their alliance with Pacific Century Cyberworks to the tax haven Bermuda in 2000.

o.bi.sess

You feeling lucky, punk?
HSC
I never cited anything in the HSC. That doesn't mean that you can memorise word for word from the textbook and regurgitate it in the exam - that is plagerising. Unless you're writing something that needs citation (eg inflation figures or statistics) you usually will not need to cite the source. The only time you will need to do citation is in-school hand-in assessment type things. If you used someone else's idea or information from any source, you will need a bibliography, foot notes, etc.

Yes, you're allowed to summarise - how else are you going to make notes?

bubbly89

HSC
Unless it is a take home assignment generally you do not have to have any form of references. However it may vary on school policy, I know at my school we had to write page numbers for any quotes we used in our essays. However that's about it.

Of course you can summarise, in fact its pretty much encouraged, thats how I learnt, and after a while you'll realise that 3/4 of the textbooks are examples and random info that "facilitates your learning" (you don't need it :p)

philzy

HSC
are we aloud to use case studies statements or sentences we find on bored of studies e.g. Telstra is reported to have moved up to $5 billion in assets to a shelf - company which was establshed theough their alliance with Pacific Century Cyberworks to the tax haven Bermuda in 2000.

me121

Premium Member
HSC
o.bi.sess said:
That doesn't mean that you can memorise word for word from the textbook and regurgitate it in the exam - that is plagerising.
That's an interesting idea... But i think it is total bullshit. If you take a two marker from a physics exam, and just say that 10 000 people did the question, and just say that this question was asked on three different years papers, that means you have 30 000 answers to the the one question. The likelihood that out of those 30 000 answers any two will have striking similarities is insanely high. But you don't accuse those two people of plagiarising. You take it to be coincidence.

I believe that for the purposes of examination you should be allowed to plagiarise anyone as much or as little as you like. Unfortunately, the Board of Studies does not publish enough policies to know their view of this. However I have never heard of anyone who received a mark of zero for a question in an exam because it was the same as what someone else wrote in a text book.

Evilo

HSC
decypher said:
aloud -> allowed
site -> cite
you know, thats exactly what i thought when i read that note. Perhaps i'm getting old.

o.bi.sess

You feeling lucky, punk?
HSC
me121 said:
That's an interesting idea... But i think it is total bullshit. If you take a two marker from a physics exam, and just say that 10 000 people did the question, and just say that this question was asked on three different years papers, that means you have 30 000 answers to the the one question. The likelihood that out of those 30 000 answers any two will have striking similarities is insanely high. But you don't accuse those two people of plagiarising. You take it to be coincidence.

I believe that for the purposes of examination you should be allowed to plagiarise anyone as much or as little as you like. Unfortunately, the Board of Studies does not publish enough policies to know their view of this. However I have never heard of anyone who received a mark of zero for a question in an exam because it was the same as what someone else wrote in a text book.
Lol, that's not exactly what I meant and what I'm trying to say applies much more to assessments at school than the actual exam I suppose. I get that for 2 markers, most people are going to have the same answer or nearly the same answer, but when answers start being the same for those huge 6/7/8 markers than things start to get iffy.

Although (point to you), I've never seen people get penalised for having the same answer, our teachers were quite iffy in our tests. The HSC wasn't like that, I don't think. Either way, I doubt anyone is actually going to be bothered to memorise a whole figgin' textbook.

Or maybe I'm just paranoid? My school made such a big deal about plagerising during the year that it's become ingrained into my brain and I get really paranoid around copying stuff and repeating it word for word.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)