Summer Holidays HSC (1 Viewer)

Anthel

HSC
N/A
Hey guys!

So my HSC journey (like most of you) has already begun. And to be honest so far I didnt do as well as I hoped, because of my very poor organisation skills.

I really want to make out the most of my holidays so what have you guys done to prepare for yourself for the next year
my subjects are:

General Maths
Biology
Chemistry
Advanced English
Ancient History
Studies of Religion

astroman

HSC
start making notes if u haven't already, revise regularly and do past papers.

Anthel

HSC
N/A
Yeah Im looking to try some James Ruse Practice papers - i go to st marys cathedral college ranked 100-200.

sheldogge

HSC
No need. Relax and enjoy your holidays (this goes for all holidays excluding right before the HSC). Trust me

Anthel

HSC
N/A
I don't intend to bludge through my holidays, I never have really. I'm NOT going to burn myself out lol... Of course im going to enjoy my holidays, I just need to some considerable amount of work so I can feel confident and ready for half yearlies. Thanks astroman for your advice as a fellow 2015'er, good luck.

Last edited:

Immortality

Rekt by Adv. English
HSC
Trust me in making as much notes as you can in the holidays. Of course pace yourself to do a bit everyday and use this time to have fun. If you think about it and plan your entire day really well, you can have fun during the day with friends, then at night say 6pm-11pm, you can pull a solid 5 hours (which I assume people do during the school term anyways). If you are able to do this everyday with a few days of no work, you will easily be able to make notes for all subjects beyond the HY + practice sufficient maths (~1hrs a day minimum). Go hard or go home. You have 24 hours in a day, no school to waste your time in your holidays, get that time management game on

Essentially you will not regret this as whatever you don't do now, you will do later. Everyone has their periodic phases of absolute ceebness where they are just inefficient and can't be bothered doing anything. By doing things early, not only can you consolidate knowledge during classes, you are able to take a breather when you are feeling 'burnt out'.

Having what people call 'burnt out' or 'HSCeebs' only exacerbates a hopeless situation where they aren't prepared and can't be bothered working. This is mainly because they are overwhelmed by the sheer amount of work they have to do. If a major bulk is already done, you are more inclined and more motivated to keep nudging on.

Another reason of doing a lot of things in the summer holidays is that whilst you may be feeling crap during your break, trust me that you will be the one feeling relaxed and organised when it comes to term 2 - term 3 exams/trials where it is essentially exam after exam. You will no longer have time to write notes and it is just a viscious cycle of unpreparedness where you are trying to tackle exams while learning ahead or keeping on top of things, a very strenuous and difficult task.

tl;dr DO WORK DURING HOLIDAYS, HAVE A TO-DO-LIST, PACE YOURSELF, YOU WILL NOT REGRET IT, WHATEVER YOU DON'T DO NOW, YOU WILL DO LATER

Last edited:

Anthel

HSC
N/A
Yes! That gave me a confidence boost xD! Thank you very much for that great advice :)

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
For general mathematics look for Riverview pastpapers..

sadgal

HSC
I just finished my HSC with an ATAR of 98.25 and all I did during the summer hols was to make notes on what we had already done in class. Didn't take too long and then I relaxed for the rest of the time. Also I noticed that another person said to relax during every holidays besides the one before HSC and that's actually good advice- I didn't do anything at ALL during the easter holidays after half yearlies, but we had holidays before trials and the HSC and THAT'S where you really hit the books. All will be well :) don't stress at this stage

BlueGas

HSC
N/A
I just finished my HSC with an ATAR of 98.25 and all I did during the summer hols was to make notes on what we had already done in class. Didn't take too long and then I relaxed for the rest of the time. Also I noticed that another person said to relax during every holidays besides the one before HSC and that's actually good advice- I didn't do anything at ALL during the easter holidays after half yearlies, but we had holidays before trials and the HSC and THAT'S where you really hit the books. All will be well :) don't stress at this stage
How do I make my own notes? Simple question but I just want a clear explanation if you don't mind.

BlueGas

HSC
N/A
Just a question, why do I have to start making notes when I already have teacher's or BoS notes? Like what difference does it make if I make my own?

photastic

HSC
Just a question, why do I have to start making notes when I already have teacher's or BoS notes? Like what difference does it make if I make my own?
Making your own notes allows yourself to process and understand the information better and drift away from pure memorisation. However, some prefer using other's notes so your call.

BlueGas

HSC
N/A
If I were to write my own notes, how would I know that they are correct?

enigma_1

~~~~ Miss Cricket ~~~~
HSC
If I were to write my own notes, how would I know that they are correct?
Tbh you can pretty much copy down the main points or reword some things from the textbook/other notes. Overall though, you're just trying to look for the relevant points/details so your notes will obviously be correct.

colinrocks95

HSC
For chemistry I found the Sci School holiday lectures really good. We went through all of Production of Materials in half a day (ethanol + polymers became so much clearer for me). Second half of the day was getting ahead on Acidic Environment

DepressedPenguino

HSC
You should definitely write notes on the blueprint of life by the end of this holiday because the content requires some thinking (unlike maintaining a balance which was pretty straight forward) and analyse your english prescribed text as your school, at least for my school, will be starting our modules next term

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)