summer of the 17th doll (1 Viewer)

HSC
N/A
Can someone help me identify some themes in summer of the 17th doll. So far i have
- Jealousy
- The changing nature of friendship
- The way things were VS. the way things are
I need way more, and the ones i have arent too impressive. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

cmaddogz

Maddogz Productions
HSC
check the HSC Drama Links thread and look at the Summer of the 17th Doll links... Also look at the drama resources thread and llok at drama_god's website.... get the exemplar of the topic one which has an essay on sosd... Also - if u want to get notes and help - you have to post urs, or more links on the Drama Links site....

dramaticfanatic

Change is the key theme of summer of the 17th doll. It is reflective of australian society in that australia in the fifties was at the point of leaving the australian bush legend in the past and moving towards the city and the city values. What we see in the summer of the 17th doll is Olive living and clinging to the past and clinging to an ideal that can not remain - she fights the change. She is an iconoclast of the city ideals represented in Pearl, as she lives for "5 months of heaven every year" instead of the conventional marriage. Roo and Barney are of course the epitomy of the bush legend and whilst Roo represents the king and the boss, Barney is the Great lover. Their presence merges the bush into the city and shows while the bush and city can have a somewhat complimentary relationship it can not last and one must win out - in the case of australia, and summer of the 17th doll it was the city values. The bush legend still remaining of course, but not as a part of our lives, aside from the "mateship" of course.

dramaticfanatic

Thanks alot Alex!!! Just cos I beat you on last year's australian theatre essay...and given that you beat me on most other things, if Im a nerd what does that make you, huh???

cmaddogz

Maddogz Productions
HSC
Kayla seems like MEGANERD... MAHAI... Look at me, i'm the drama nerd - where are my goggles? MAHAI - I NEED MY GOGGLES. Oh no, the continium transfunctionor is suffering from an electrostatic bypass - NO. MAHAI! Stop it Jeeves!

TheBirdMustFly

Writer for hire!
HSC
Yes Kayla is CPAHS's NERD and I'm a major bludger and only do what I need 2 do, and I'd like 2 say I hate summer of the 17th doll with all my being I wish it along with all the other stereotypically aussie bush crap would melt into nonexistence

cmaddogz

Maddogz Productions
HSC
i think the doll is good... well was good when i did it... i prefered it to touch of silk...

Ashleet

HSC
if you get the chance go and see it performed live, it will totally clear up issues like these for you. If you cant get it live, try the closest uni. I do theatre studies at UNE and i believe they have a copy of a performance on vid.

cmaddogz

Maddogz Productions
HSC
if u want good comparison for your essays - try and get a copy of the doll as performed by the melbourne opera company... some great comparisons there...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)