Summer Sesh. (1 Viewer)

idunnoman

HSC
How many subjects can one do in the summer sesh? i wanna change my major, and i dont wanna have to waste another 6 months.
Thanks

EdmondDW

HSC
Me too...I also changed my programme to advanced sci...I wanna do physics... is it avaiable in summer:graduate: course?

darkwolfzx

HSC
N/A
EdmondDW said:
It is not good...I can't find physics 1A on it....hm...
Then you're gonna have to wait till next year. They can't pay lecturers to teach all courses every session.

Rekkusu

Currently: Away
HSC
You'll only find Gen Eds and courses (usually 1st year) with high failure rates shown in Summer Sem

darkwolfzx

HSC
N/A
Rekkusu said:
You'll only find Gen Eds and courses (usually 1st year) with high failure rates shown in Summer Sem
Reason for high failure rates is because we're kiddy first years? :p

EdmondDW

HSC
Actually...It is really hard to fail in the first year...HOHO
darkwolfzx said:
Reason for high failure rates is because we're kiddy first years? :p

darkwolfzx

HSC
N/A
really? I was under the impression that failure rates in first year were around 10% and 5% for the other years

Rekkusu

HSC
Lol Edmond must have cruised through first year.

Yes lol First Year courses are extremely hard. Not because the content is hard to understand, but because UNSW co-ordinates these courses quite badly in comparison to some 2nd year courses such as MICR2011.

After almost completing my 3rd year I can assure you that anything you learn in first year is irrelevant and useless. It does not help you at all for 2nd/3rd year courses. Survivor can surely attest to this haha.

Jago

el oh el donkaments
HSC
First year is easy content wise but really hard to cope with after being spoonfed information and virtually forced to do homework consistently for 12 years. You really don't get that at uni.

Second is was ridiculously difficult content wise (sup Microeconomics 2) but you start learning how to study properly so it's all good.

Third year is even harder content wise but by now you're pretty pro at study so you can get through it without it hurting your marks too much.

Rekkusu said:
After almost completing my 3rd year I can assure you that anything you learn in first year is irrelevant and useless. It does not help you at all for 2nd/3rd year courses. Survivor can surely attest to this haha.
I can say for a fact that this isn't even close to true for Econ courses. Micro and Macro 1 are the building blocks for ALL higher level econ courses and without fully grasping the concepts you learn there will almost definitely affect your ability to understand later courses.

imo.

EdmondDW

HSC
For chemistry, in first year, u can get some exercises provided by the chem school...
If u finish and understand them, the exam is really a piece of cake for u...
But for second year chemistry like inorganic and structure chemistry...u will not be provided any extra exercises...and actually I can't understand anything in the lecture...u must read text book soooo carefully and finish all exercises on the textbook....So it is really hard, since the cambridge text book is soooooo thick...
And this is the only way to get high mark for this course...

er...
Rekkusu said:
Lol Edmond must have cruised through first year.

Yes lol First Year courses are extremely hard. Not because the content is hard to understand, but because UNSW co-ordinates these courses quite badly in comparison to some 2nd year courses such as MICR2011.

Rekkusu

HSC
Jago said:
First year is easy content wise but really hard to cope with after being spoonfed information and virtually forced to do homework consistently for 12 years. You really don't get that at uni.

Second is was ridiculously difficult content wise (sup Microeconomics 2) but you start learning how to study properly so it's all good.

Third year is even harder content wise but by now you're pretty pro at study so you can get through it without it hurting your marks too much.

I can say for a fact that this isn't even close to true for Econ courses. Micro and Macro 1 are the building blocks for ALL higher level econ courses and without fully grasping the concepts you learn there will almost definitely affect your ability to understand later courses.

imo.
Interesting! Well I can attest that fact only for Science students then.

To be honest, Chemistry 1A & 1B was bitchy and coordinated so badly. Unless if you had a good solid foundation in HSC chemistry, and actually understood the material in McMurry's Organic Chemistry it's almost impossible to get a credit or above. For those wondering, none of the organic chem books give full solutions to problems, they just give you the final answer. It's almost like giving you a ridiculously complex math question and only providing 1.98 x 10^11 as the final answer.

But anyhow getting good marks is somewhat attributed to your interest. In terms of Edmond, I'm sure he loves chemistry to the brink. But microbiologists have no need for organic chemistry. :D And thank god for that hehe

Omium

Knuckles
HSC
Rekkusu said:
Interesting! Well I can attest that fact only for Science students then.

To be honest, Chemistry 1A & 1B was bitchy and coordinated so badly. Unless if you had a good solid foundation in HSC chemistry, and actually understood the material in McMurry's Organic Chemistry it's almost impossible to get a credit or above. For those wondering, none of the organic chem books give full solutions to problems, they just give you the final answer. It's almost like giving you a ridiculously complex math question and only providing 1.98 x 10^11 as the final answer.

But anyhow getting good marks is somewhat attributed to your interest. In terms of Edmond, I'm sure he loves chemistry to the brink. But microbiologists have no need for organic chemistry. :D And thank god for that hehe

I freak'n LOVE CHEMISTRY Thats why im Doing a Chemical Engineering / Chemistry Double degree :).

Chem1A seems pretty straight forward, However at times they dont really explain things properly. and i sit there wondering "If i didnt have a background in Chem would i understand what the heck is going on?"

Edmond said:
But for second year chemistry like inorganic and structure chemistry...
You talking about stuff such as "sp3d2 Hybrid orbitals, Quantum Chemistry?, Hybridisation, Shapes such as "Trigonal BiPyramidal", "See-Saw" etc" ?
Im doing that in a subject called "CEIC1001"
If you are, That stuff is freaking awesome, it really changes the way you look at chemistry.

EdmondDW

HSC
Not really...these stuff look like content from chem1B...
Actually the course I mentioned is much higher than those...Just like wave function, antibonding, bond strength content, and the second part is about the lattice. U caculate the lattice energy and use math knowledge to get the distance between different central atoms... something like that, pretty hard but quite interesting...
The lab is also interesting, except after reaction u will get a test...Hehe...

Last edited:

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
Omium said:
I freak'n LOVE CHEMISTRY Thats why im Doing a Chemical Engineering / Chemistry Double degree :).

Chem1A seems pretty straight forward, However at times they dont really explain things properly. and i sit there wondering "If i didnt have a background in Chem would i understand what the heck is going on?"

You talking about stuff such as "sp3d2 Hybrid orbitals, Quantum Chemistry?, Hybridisation, Shapes such as "Trigonal BiPyramidal", "See-Saw" etc" ?
Im doing that in a subject called "CEIC1001"
If you are, That stuff is freaking awesome, it really changes the way you look at chemistry.
omg woulda like to do that but it would CLASH.

joshuaali

HSC
Lol, you love chemistry? You should've done CHEM1031/CHEM1041 High Chemistry 1C/1D =/

Omium

Knuckles
HSC
joshuaali said:
Lol, you love chemistry? You should've done CHEM1031/CHEM1041 High Chemistry 1C/1D =/
Yer i wanted to do them. but they dont offer 1D in Summer School....
They offer CHEM 1B in summer... so i wanted to finish it quicker :)

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
joshuaali said:
i was going to do MMAN1300 as my elective but nah fuck it i dont wanna go to tafes lol so i tried to do a chem elective but no it clashes with my other ones ...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)