• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Summer VAC - info regarding the different service line (1 Viewer)

chocolates

HSC
Hi, Im applying for summer vac (based in melbourne) and i cant seem to find much info about their service line (the big 4s). Usually the info on the site they provide is kind of brief (big 4's website). I mean.. how can I answer questions such the one made by Deliotte's : why do you want to work in our service line? min.800 words....max 1000 words. PWC and the others also have similar questions :(

Can anyone help me find anymore info... maybe im not nagivgating their website correctly. Im currently choosing assurance for my applications right now..and maybe advisory.
Closing dates is creping VERY FAST in and im really DESPERATE to get a vac job..

Also is there any good mid-tier firms that is offering vac work in melb that i should apply for>? i dont mind working for any firms as long as its accounting /business related !!!!!!!!!

Also any tips for applying?? ...
On a side note; I have done a little bit of extracurricular activities such as student host leader, Edinburgh etc but have NEVER WORK BEFORE arrghh.. My academic result is good averaging close to 90's... Will the work experience cost me heaps??

Thank you..

Last edited:

velox

Retired
HSC
N/A
Do you know what service lines they offer? If you are desperate to get vac work then I would assume you already know what role the services lines engage in...

Work experience is important (especially for the interview) but your marks are pretty good. I would try to get some work exp regardless of whether you get vac work or not as marks dont mean that much. (as long as you aren't one of those introverted stereotypical straight commerce students you should be ok)

Pace_T

HSC
um what do you mean will the work experience cost you heaps?

are you sure its 800 to 1000 words? i think it might be characters.

go in the chartered accounting website and check up vacation positions available. they should have a search engine of some sort that shows all the vac positions currently open, not just the big 4.

velox

Retired
HSC
N/A

go in the chartered accounting website and check up vacation positions available. they should have a search engine of some sort that shows all the vac positions currently open, not just the big 4.
It's a figure of speech dude.

chocolates

HSC
OHHH stupid me.. I just check the Deloitte website and it IS 800 characters... not 800 words.. that makes sense now. I mean how am I going to write an essat of 800words of why i wanted to work in assurance!!. Application of Deloitte closes tomorow though so ugghh

velox: I have a rough idea of the service line they offered but not confident to write an essay of why i really wanna to work there. Also I understand that work experience is really important through reasearching around... Actually im feeling that there isnt really much point in keeping my grades really high without work..... im very outgoing among my friends.. maybe too outgoing and lazy thats why never consider working partime or fulltime previously like my friends did.. just study and having fun. I thought as long as I do well in my studies, thats all it matters lol

Now it kinda bites me when it comes to my future and employement. I mean Im kinda too old (20yr old) to be accepted at coles/safeway etc for my VERY first job.. and never been to interview before!! Now trying to redeem myself by being host leader for 1st years and maybe doing some community work in the future!!

In short, I NEED A JOB!

Last edited:

chocolates

HSC

Umm.. i mean that having not work previously at all before hinders my chance of getting a vac position by A LOT. Kinda a rhetorical question

And thanks for the tip ^^. Thats what im trying to do with no luck. Gonna try it again later

Pace_T

HSC
Umm.. i mean that having not work previously at all before hinders my chance of getting a vac position by A LOT. Kinda a rhetorical question

And thanks for the tip ^^. Thats what im trying to do with no luck. Gonna try it again later
i dont think its a big deal... in this industry they only care about accounting experience, not coles experience :haha: and even then, most people applying for vac work wont have ANY accounting experience. thats the whole point of it

John0

HSC
Don’t get so tied up about why u want to work in a particular service line, its only 1000 characters which you will use up in no time just introducing your thoughts. As Pace said the majority of us don’t have any accounting / professional service experience, after all we are applying for summer vac programs to get experience in these lines of work. I personally don’t have any real preference for any of the service lines atm. When i was doing the apps I just picked one based on what i found most interesting with the information presented on the website. I was speaking to a partner from Deloitte he basically said that summer vac programs are run just so graduates get the feel for the service lines, think of it as try before you buy.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)