Summer Vacation Internship's 2017/2018 (1 Viewer)

Confound

HSC
I recommend applying to as many different places as you can tbh regardless

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
Got an offer for Tax with one of the Big 4.

Happy to answer any questions.

Also, it is probably helpful to have a bunch of firms you ACTUALLY want to work for and put a lot of effort in those application (by effort I mean network and definitely get to know someone who is name dropable). There is very little point in submitting 100 sub par applications.

All IBD/ER and other actually competitive roles open in july break.
I recommend applying to as many different places as you can tbh regardless
Just depends on what you want to apply for.

The Big 4 professional services firms and mid-tier accounting firms tend to be less tough on the initial stage(s) so it's fine to take the scattergun approach. The Big 4 don't require cover letters (with PwC even scrapping the need for CV and academic transcript too), but basically all the mid-tier accounting firms still require cover letters. Nearly everyone gets to online testing and a good amount get to phone interview/video interview so your ability to do testing/phone or video interviews is probably more important than your CV and things like your WAM/experience/extracurricular activities.

However, for law firms/consulting firms/IB where more people get culled in initial stages, it's best you don't submit 100 subpar resumes/cover letters (i.e. really need to research and tailor your cover letter) and things like your WAM/experience/extracurricular activities are more important.

RishBonjour99

HSC
N/A
Got an offer for Tax with one of the Big 4.

Happy to answer any questions.

Just depends on what you want to apply for.

The Big 4 professional services firms and mid-tier accounting firms tend to be less tough on the initial stage(s) so it's fine to take the scattergun approach. The Big 4 don't require cover letters (with PwC even scrapping the need for CV and academic transcript too), but basically all the mid-tier accounting firms still require cover letters. Nearly everyone gets to online testing and a good amount get to phone interview/video interview so your ability to do testing/phone or video interviews is probably more important than your CV and things like your WAM/experience/extracurricular activities.

However, for law firms/consulting firms/IB where more people get culled in initial stages, it's best you don't submit 100 subpar resumes/cover letters (i.e. really need to research and tailor your cover letter) and things like your WAM/experience/extracurricular activities are more important.
Congrats on the offer! Not easy to get it.

Yeah, even at big 4, your application (written ans which pwc etc removed) can't really be shit. Video interviews also require decent amount of prep. Scattergun approach doesn't really work that well esp given some people seemed to have applied to 100 grad programs and still come out with nothing while others will apply to 20 and come out with a few offers.

But yes, if you have time, apply to everything after properly applying for your fave roles.

Confound

HSC
I reckon if you have a solid standardised cover letter the "scattergun" approach should work for all similar firms without needing to change anything. It worked for me during internship season last year even for IB apps - i.e. the only thing I changed in regards to the content of cover letters were the firm names and addresses, everything else kept the same. Had interviews for most that I applied for and few final rounds, from there it was just performance on the day. Also worked this year for mc and bbib grad apps (in regards to getting to 1st round interview stages)

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
Congrats on the offer! Not easy to get it.
Thanks!

Yeah, definitely grateful for the offer and felt lucky to get it.

Like I didn't make it/haven't made it to AC or final interview for any other firm (received confirmed rejections from some of the Big 4 and some mid-tier firms too). Know Comm/LLB or Comm/ACTL people with D average WAM who didn't make it to ACs or final interview for most, if not all, of the Big 4 so honestly feel like luck is a big thing and also, I think phone interview/video interview delivery/online testing > WAM/experience/ECs for these firms.

I reckon if you have a solid standardised cover letter the "scattergun" approach should work for all similar firms without needing to change anything. It worked for me during internship season last year even for IB apps - i.e. the only thing I changed in regards to the content of cover letters were the firm names and addresses, everything else kept the same. Had interviews for most that I applied for and few final rounds, from there it was just performance on the day. Also worked this year for mc and bbib grad apps (in regards to getting to 1st round interview stages)
From what I've heard, like you've said, 'generic' cover letters work to some extent for MC and BBIB.

However, I don't think the same applies to Law firms.

Confound

HSC
Yeah it probably doesn't apply to law firms but I don't do law so wouldn't know

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
Of the Big 4, online testing I found Deloitte's the hardest.

BLIT2014

HSC
Uni Grad
Any tips for PwC's assessment day? (If anyone has gone before?)

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
Congrats for getting to PwC's AC! Personally didn't make it myself and know a lot (including Comm/LLB people) who didn't so really solid stuff.

I think just the typical advice applies:
- Group activities - (1) don't try to dominate and talk over others but make sure you don't stay quiet either; and (2) try to build on others' ideas and thoughts whenever possible.
- Interview - (1) you either get the on-the-book interviewer (i.e. they follow the script and ask all the questions) or the off-the-book interviewer (i.e. they may go off on a tangent and it becomes very casual and conversational); and (2) regardless, prepare for your personal questions (i.e. tell me about yourself), motivational questions (why PwC and why this service line at PwC), behavioural questions, situational questions and also, commercial awareness questions (e.g. challenges faced by PwC/PwC's clients and how the service line can address them).

Phaze

Pleb.
HSC
PwC values cultural fit quite a bit so make sure you do some research into the values of the firm and the firm goals over the next few years. Don't recite the values word for word because that becomes a bit too obvious but having them subtly embedded in your responses will always help.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
PwC values cultural fit quite a bit so make sure you do some research into the values of the firm and the firm goals over the next few years. Don't recite the values word for word because that becomes a bit too obvious but having them subtly embedded in your responses will always help.
yeah, like not stuffing up the oscars by handing out the wrong envelope

BLIT2014

HSC
Uni Grad
You mean I shouldn't say that I'm a believer in excellent teamwork based leadership?

But thank you for the help :)

BLIT2014

HSC
Uni Grad
Congrats for getting to PwC's AC! Personally didn't make it myself and know a lot (including Comm/LLB people) who didn't so really solid stuff.

I think just the typical advice applies:
- Group activities - (1) don't try to dominate and talk over others but make sure you don't stay quiet either; and (2) try to build on others' ideas and thoughts whenever possible.
- Interview - (1) you either get the on-the-book interviewer (i.e. they follow the script and ask all the questions) or the off-the-book interviewer (i.e. they may go off on a tangent and it becomes very casual and conversational); and (2) regardless, prepare for your personal questions (i.e. tell me about yourself), motivational questions (why PwC and why this service line at PwC), behavioural questions, situational questions and also, commercial awareness questions (e.g. challenges faced by PwC/PwC's clients and how the service line can address them).
Apparently (well for graduates at least) PwC is over two days so seems slightly different different from most of the Big 4.

BLIT2014

HSC
Uni Grad
Deloitte: Has done assessment centres, interviews and individuals have received offers.
EY: Are/have done ACs and individuals are receiving offers at the moment
KPMG: Have/are doing offers
PwC: Are doing ACs , Some graduates have received offers
Grant Thornton: Are doing ACs
KordaMentha: Are up for interviewing people
ShineWing: Are interviewing people
McGrathNicol:Are doing ACs

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)