Super-speed Internet satellite blasts off in Japan (1 Viewer)

chicky_pie

POTATO HEAD ROXON
HSC
Japan launched a rocket Saturday carrying a satellite that will test new technology that promises to deliver "super high-speed Internet" service to homes and businesses around the world.

The rocket carrying the WINDS satellite -- a joint project of the Japan Aerospace Exploration Agency (JAXA) and Mitsubishi Heavy Industries -- lifted off its pad at 5:55 p.m. (0855 GMT).

If the technology proves successful, subscribers with small dishes will connect to the internet at speeds many times faster than what is now available over residential cable or DSL services.

The Associated Press said the satellite would offer speeds of up to 1.2 gigabytes per second.

The service initially would focus on the Asia-Pacific region close to Japan, a JAXA news release said.

"Among other uses, this will make possible great advances in telemedicine, which will bring high-quality medical treatment to remote areas, and in distance education, connecting students and teachers separated by great distances," JAXA said.

The rocket was launched from Japan's Yoshinobu Launch Complex at the Tanegashima Space Center.

http://edition.cnn.com/2008/TECH/02/23/japan.satellite/index.html

I love Japan. :spam:

HSC
Sattelite internet = teh phail.

If you think you could p2p off that thing, you're wrong. And let's face it, there is absolutely no use for fast broadband, other than p2p.

wrxsti

Rambo
HSC
Starcraftmazter said:
And let's face it, there is absolutely no use for fast broadband, other than p2p.
QFT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

but 1.2 Gigabytes/second

thats bloody impressive.

Dumsum

has a large Member;
HSC
It probably wouldn't be good for games actually, despite being a "super-fast speed" that doesn't necessarily translate into fast pings. Satellite internet is notorious for being shit in that regard. EMR can still only travel at 300,000 km/s ...

Thekirk

HSC
Dumsum said:
It probably wouldn't be good for games actually, despite being a "super-fast speed" that doesn't necessarily translate into fast pings. Satellite internet is notorious for being shit in that regard. EMR can still only travel at 300,000 km/s ...
This man obviously knows nothing about fast internet speeds i mean come on. The stuff said about the pings is obviously made up in a crude attempt to have your opinion taken into account. Satelite internet although it has it's flaws is not regaurded as shit it's actually a lot better than what your using at the moment what are you using by the way?

So next people at least try to think before you say something you'll just embarress yourself otherwise.

Dumsum

has a large Member;
HSC
Thekirk said:
This man obviously knows nothing about fast internet speeds i mean come on. The stuff said about the pings is obviously made up in a crude attempt to have your opinion taken into account. Satelite internet although it has it's flaws is not regaurded as shit it's actually a lot better than what your using at the moment what are you using by the way?

So next people at least try to think before you say something you'll just embarress yourself otherwise.
Geosynchronous orbits (the most likely candidate for internet satellites, surely? If I'm wrong correct me) are around the 35,000 km mark. So in the ideal circumstance ping data would have to travel 140,000 km (your computer -> satellite -> other computer -> satellite -> your computer, neglect routers and what have you). EMR travels at 300,000 km/s and so in the VERY BEST IDEAL situation the fastest ping you could possibly have is 466 ms. Hardly worthwhile for gaming.

Download speed and the actual time taken for data packets to transfer between computers are two completely separate concepts. Maybe you should at least try to think a little bit, lest you embarass yourself.

HSC
Thekirk said:
I had to read this several times to make sure the poster was not being sarcastic, because the stupidity of his statements overwhelm me.

From wikipedia, in 30 seconds of searching:

Satellite transmission
Although intercontinental television signals travel at the speed of light, they nevertheless develop a noticeable latency over long distances. This is best illustrated when a newsreader in a studio talks to a reporter half way around the world. The signal travels from the newsreader via communication satellite situated in geosynchronous orbit to the reporter and then goes all the way back to geosynchronous orbit and then to the studio, resulting in a journey of over one hundred thousand kilometers . This time lag is easily noticeable. Even though the signal travels at the speed of light, it still requires about half a second to travel that distance[1] (not including the much smaller latencies inside the communications equipment).
tl;dr
Wired = Good Pings
Wireless = Bad Pings

Thekirk

HSC
Starcraftmazter said:
Satellite transmission
Although intercontinental television signals travel at the speed of light, they nevertheless develop a noticeable latency over long distances. This is best illustrated when a newsreader in a studio talks to a reporter half way around the world. The signal travels from the newsreader via communication satellite situated in geosynchronous orbit to the reporter and then goes all the way back to geosynchronous orbit and then to the studio, resulting in a journey of over one hundred thousand kilometers . This time lag is easily noticeable. Even though the signal travels at the speed of light, it still requires about half a second to travel that distance[1] (not including the much smaller latencies inside the communications equipment).

Although you did look up this wikipedia which is not the best source you cannot comapare the speeds of television comminication with super fast internet speeds. This is because when satelite internet is used the transmission travels from you computer to satelite, then from satelite to the source and then back to the satelite to you computer while television transmission travels from the reporter to the satelite to another reporter then back to the satelite to the receiving reporter which is then retransmitted to your tv screens with a standard 15 second delay. Television is transmitted in a wider range thus reducing the quality and speed of the information received while fast internet transmissions are sent in a burst towards your pc and not accross a country. Although there is still a time lag the technoligies are used in different ways.

Which poses the question as to what we were talking about TV transmissions or internet connectivity?

Dumsum

has a large Member;
HSC
Methinks thekirk either seriously underestimates just how high satellites orbit the earth, or is a troll (more likely).

HSC
Thekirk said:
Although you did look up this wikipedia which is not the best source you cannot comapare the speeds of television comminication with super fast internet speeds. This is because when satelite internet is used the transmission travels from you computer to satelite, then from satelite to the source and then back to the satelite to you computer while television transmission travels from the reporter to the satelite to another reporter then back to the satelite to the receiving reporter which is then retransmitted to your tv screens with a standard 15 second delay. Television is transmitted in a wider range thus reducing the quality and speed of the information received while fast internet transmissions are sent in a burst towards your pc and not accross a country. Although there is still a time lag the technoligies are used in different ways.

Which poses the question as to what we were talking about TV transmissions or internet connectivity?

I don't know why you brought up TV transmission, or what it has to do with what we were discussing.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
The japs have HDTV on mobiles, I want HDTV on my mobile :(

*Jezzza

HSC
Uni Grad
Well have any of your actually USED satellite for gaming? Living out in the middle of whoop whoop where I do, the pings on satellite are, to say the least, not impressive. That's why VoIP over satellite is so bad. Even with a satellite phone there is a delay of a few seconds. My friend has both satellite internet and phone and I have used both. It's not the mention the fact that satellite is damn expensive. $50 per month for 1GB downloads at 512k.

*Jezzza

HSC
Uni Grad
Got my friend on satellite to do some speedtests. Here are the results.

^ is using the recommended server.

So... I'd love to anyone play games on that sort of internet connection.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)