superconductors, generation, transmission and transport Q (1 Viewer)

ske

actualli the meissner effect does not depend on lenz's law..its one explanation that makes perfect sense..but isnt always tru..coz we did the meissner prac by coolin ybco then placin the magnet over it (like u sed iz the eddy currents)..but we also did the whole thing again and had the magnet on the ybco before we cooled..and when we did cool it below tc the magnet levitated...magic!..they call it diamagnetism apparently...couldnt hav been lenzs law in this case coz there was no initial relative motion......what does it matter tho?..phyz iz ova!!

BlackJack

Vertigo!
HSC
Originally posted by ske
actualli the meissner effect does not depend on lenz's law..its one explanation that makes perfect sense..but isnt always tru..coz we did the meissner prac by coolin ybco then placin the magnet over it (like u sed iz the eddy currents)..but we also did the whole thing again and had the magnet on the ybco before we cooled..and when we did cool it below tc the magnet levitated...magic!..they call it diamagnetism apparently...couldnt hav been lenzs law in this case coz there was no initial relative motion......what does it matter tho?..phyz iz ova!!
lol. I think I might have a clue how that happens... but it prob isn't correct. We noticed also in our pracs that the magnet moved itself back into the middle of the superconductor wherever we tried to push it, which isn't suposed to happen if it's just Lenz's Law...

Ultimate

Unknown
HSC
Originally posted by superhubert
what did you guys put for this one? i thought it was a rather stupid q. with transport, were they refering to the transportation of electricity through lines and the energy benifits here, or were they talking about transport as in maglev trains etc. they could have worded it better......
I don't think they meant maglev trains otherwise they would have specified it (as they did in the syllabus). Besides they require an enormous amount of energy to keep the rails in the superconducting state. How is this a saving in energy? "Discuss" means positives or negatives or both, but in this q I mentioned the positives of transmission of electricity (energy savings), and how energy savings in transportation could be achieved via power storage (SMES).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)