Supplementary Material: Postmodernism (1 Viewer)

hula girl

HSC
I've used the Jasper Fforde books, Andy Warhol's work and probably one by Damien Hirst, The Mezzanine by Nicholson Baker
Someone suggested i use the donnie darko website

Lots of people in my class have used movies
eg Donnie Darko, Run Lola Run, Pulp Fiction, Sin City, I [heart] Hucklebee, American Beauty, Amelie

The Raven episode of The Simpsons, the music of the Pixies

Quilan

HSC
just some potential ones, that aren't mentioned (i think)

Movies:

TEAM AMERICA!
Monty Pythons
Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
Tristam Shandy (book also, but its out atm [kinda])

Music:
Frank Zappa,
most other prog./experimental groups (if u can find techniques)

Books (not 'real'/good suggestions):

i think a few of the 'sci-fi' authors can be used
e.g. Phillip K Dick, but i think that only if u are desperate or want to not get the best possible marks, unless u use many of his movie adaptions, i'm thinking a Scanner Darkly when it comes out

lapin.mignon

HSC
I received a recommended text list from school.

Prose:
  • Byatt, AS. Possession
  • Calvino, Italo. If On A Winter's Night A Traveller
  • Fowles, John. The French Lieutenant's Woman
  • Rushdie, Salman. Midnight's Children (and others)
  • Garcia Marquez, Gabriel. Love in the Time of Cholera (and other novels and short stories)
  • Carter, Angela. The Bloody Chamber (and others)
  • Allende, Isabelle, The House of the Spirits (and others)
  • Short stories by Nick Earls and Peter Carey
Drama:
  • Williamson, David (recent plays)
  • Pirandello, Luigi. Five Characters in Search of an Author
  • Fo, Dario. Accidental Death of an Anarchist
  • Beckett, Samuel. Waiting for Godot
Film and Visual Arts:
  • Works by Andy Warhol
  • Potter, Sally (dir), Orlando, 1992
  • Jonze, Spike (dir)
    • Adaptation, 2002
    • Being John Malkovich, 1999
  • Von Triers, Lars, Dancer in the Dark, 2000
  • Coen Bros., Barton Fink
  • Arau, Alfonso (dir), Like Water for Chocolate, 1992
Poetry:
  • Dawe, Bruce
  • Plath, Sylvia
Criticism and Theory:
  • Baudrillard, Jean. The Illusion of the End, Verso, 1994
  • Borges, Jorge Luis. Labyrinths, Penguin, 1991
  • Derrida, Jacques. Writing and Difference, 1981
  • Barthes, Roland. Image-Music-Text, 1977
  • Lacan, Jacques. Ecrits: A Selection, 1977
  • Kristeva, Julia. The Kristeva Reader, 1986
  • Foucault, Michel. Discipline & Punish, (and others)
  • Lyotard, Jean-François. Postmodern Condition: a Report on Knowledge, 1979
  • Phoca, Sophia and Wright, Rebecca, Introducing Postfeminism, 1999
  • Jencks, Charles, What is Postfeminism?, 1986
  • Connor, Steve, Postmodernist Culture, 1991
  • Foster, H (ed), Postmodern Culture, 1985
  • Doherty, Thomas, Postmodernism, a Reader, 1993
  • McHale, Brian, Postmodernist Fiction, 1987
:read:

Dan k

HSC
I'm suprised nobody has suggested Fight Club. Both the film and the book work well as Pomo texts, although the film does work decidedly better - I've been using the film since the start of the year, and have been consistently getting top band marks for my essays. There is a lot you can use in it, and it's a good film, so its not too hard to study ;)

zangetsu.xo

BANGSAT LOOO
anywhere with a bowl of rice and chopsticks in han
HSC
i got 18/20 for my english extension yearly using run lola run, buffy the vampire slayer: prophecy girl (both of which were compulsory texts) and the first matrix movie (my chosen text).
i guess you could use the entire matrix trilogy but i just used the first coz i already studied it in year 10 as part of the philosophy elective.

egarrz

HSC
Yeah I've been using Fight Club, although I have done the novel as I have also been doing the Matrix and wanted a variety of text types. I think I might drop it for the hsc though.

HSC
i know some of the following have already been stated.. but yeh.. these are what i've heard people have used, are using or i'm going to use :D

- Run Lola Run
- Being John Malkovich
- The Matrix
- The Butterfly Effect
- Sliding Doors
- Kill Bill 1 & 2
- Pulp Fiction (my text!!)
- Mulholland Drive
- Sin City
- Adaptation
- Moulin Rouge

i know some were definately repeated.. and theyre pretty mainstream texts, which is a good thing in the way that there would be a fair amount of notes for them floating somewhere, but also means the markers probably know these films inside out.. oh well.. theres my 2 cents

good luck everyone

nic32421

HSC
i am using the Beck album The Information. its good because the audience makes their own album cover. the music is also arguably postmodern (but im not going into that here)
i was also considering using Triple J news with Michael Turtle but i think its a bit weak.

GMK

HSC
Some good Sci-Fi books that you could use:

Hitchhiker's Guide books
The Ilium
Colony/Red Dwarf by rob grant

Mostly good for Postmodern.

SpunkT

HSC
i like tom stoppard, he and samuel beckett write wonderful pieces that can be used in postmodernism, because ideally absurdist theatre and postmodernism accomplish the same thing, a confused audience who have been told that NOTHING REALLY MATTERS, except...knowing nothing matters, and knowing nothing matters having as much fun as they can.....

if that makes any sense....i guess youll just have to trust me then, but absurdist theatre can be an extremely postmodern thing [ thats not to say it all is postmodern remember that part ladies and gentlemen]

---

just on another note, has anyone read "the picture of dorian grey by oscar wilde?" because i find that the character "Lord Henry Wotton" has a very sort of postmodernist, view.... not that that is really useful.... *blush* sorry!

anyways ....three years too late i know, but yeah.... i thought id say my piece about tom stoppard and such...

Emster

HSC
this might sound like a bit of a stupid question but what postmodern concerns does moulin rouge deal with?
i adore the movie and would love to use it as one of my supplementary texts!

also

i'm having a bit of trouble finding extra supplementary texts that link with my core texts:
- dead white males by david williamson
- if on a winter's night a traveller by italo calvino
- poossession by a.s byatt

can anyone recomed any that would link well? i'm looking at doing 'life of pi' because apparently it links with 'possession' but i still need at least two more texts.

any suggestions would be great :)

pkpkpk

HSC
films: dogville,
art: keith haring
novels: look at thomas pynchons works - gravitys rainbow, the crying of lot 49

a quick question becuase Memento is studied in the Advanced course does that still make it viable as a related for the ext course ?

rdevlin

HSC
I would avoid using texts in Standard or Advanced courses, even if they are not part of your study. The marker won't know that, and will assume that you simply don't have your own supporting texts.

If you're going to use Dogville, make sure you talk about Brecht (a theatre practitioner), if don't know about him already. The transparent walls are a very Brechtian technique. Even if you just do a Wikipedia search, that will be a sufficient background for you to support your response.

Another potential suggestion is looking at YouTube parodies of classic films - there are plenty out there, and could lead you on a discussion of subverting the typical 'film' text. Of course, use your judgement, and only use ones which are relevant and stand up to the test of critical analysis.

For students who are after authors who write a little bit differently, here are some on the postmodernism course at the University of Sydney, and some I've added myself:

NOVELS/POETRY:
- Dennis Cooper (Closer, and anything else by him)
- Jonathon Franzen (The Corrections)
- Thomas Pynchon (The Crying of Lot 49)
- E.L. Doctorow (Ragtime)
- J.B Ballard (Crash)
- Lyn Hejinian (My Life)
- Harryette Mullen (Sleeping with the Dictionary)
- Don DeLillo (White Noise)
- James Ellroy (My Dark Places)
- DBC Pierre (Vernon God Little, Ludmilla's Broken English)

FILMS:
- Happiness
- Magnolia
- Mysterious Skin (there is a novel as well)

As a teacher, I would recommend (especially at this stage, with trials and whatnot) to go with the texts you are most familiar with, as they will help you create the strongest argument. Of course you can change texts between now and the HSC, but make sure you are completely knowledgeable in whatever texts you choose.

All the best for your exams!

killyridols

HSC
i'm doing the novel 'a heartbreaking work of staggering genius' by dave eggers which is an awesome text for PoMo. it's full of techniques and not that obscure, but not one of those things that every second person is doing.
other stuff:
-eraserhead
-artworks by morimura
-stuff by the YBA eg. Damien Hirst, Tracey Emin etc.
-middlesex if you cbf reading it. it's perfect for postmodernism because it ties in so nicely with orlando- it's also about someone who changes sex and lives for a long time

mad-triste

HSC
Don't use Blackadder. I tried to, but really it's not constructed as a postmodern text and it's hard to construe it that way without sounding really stupid. My teacher also told me that it's a bad choice.

"Tristram Shandy: a Cock and Bull Story" (the recent film) is excellent. Anyone else doing that?

cleoboulevard

HSC
our class is focusing on:
possession - a. s. byatt (which i probably won't end up reading as a whole cause i've put so much into the other two texts that i'll use in trial and hsc)
if on a winters night a traveller - italo calvino
orlando - sally potter

my chosen texts are:
life of pi - yann martel (novel)
waiting for godot - samuel beckett (drama)
vincent - don mclean (song lyric)

jeahsen

HSC
Stranger than Fiction- Will Ferrell movie...its sweet
heaps of references to pm theorists..in fact, the last names of all of the characters are based on great intellectuals of the century (Crick, Pascal etc etc)

jemb0t

HSC
My related texts include
Fight Club by Chuck Palahniuk - a common text, but still an effective one
Mary Harron's 2001 film American Psycho - it address the pm obsession with aesthetics and the idea of a culture of 'fakes'

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)