Supplementary Material - Retreat From the Global (1 Viewer)

Cheap Thrills

HSC
any thing winton, oondatje and coetzee
they are all pretty prolific writers
christ i wish we did RFTG :(

bridgie14

Premium Member
HSC
I'm doing the film 'In the wild'
set in alaska, about a guy rejecting all aspects of the global world and living as simply as he can
check it out y'all

ForgetReality

HSC
Does anyone think that 'Invisible Monsters' would work well? Or perhaps 'Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas'?

lightning101

HSC
N/A
does anyone know of a good visual text that can be used for rftg??? i need something that isnt a film, already got one.

jess.amarillo.

HSC
hmmm.. the episode of black books - 'blood' is a good choice for rftg.. annnnd i'm thinking maybe 'long, clear view' from tim winton's collection of short stories in 'the turning'.

long, clear view - "you pine for the city, the spill of suburbs you left behind and the way the absorb you, render you ordinary and invisible"

it like, shows the opposite of retreat from the global. haha, hmm. i don't even know about that one, i get confused. all i know is that 'blood' is a good choice!

A295

HSC
Book: The Mosquito Coast

Movies: The Corporation (It's a Canadian Film, but really good if you want something on economics and 'anti global' (make sure not to lapse into binaries though)
Spotswood
Once Were Warriors
The Dish
The Man Who Sued God

maz5

HSC
I'm doing 'The White Masai'
brilliant independent movie about a Swedish woman who retreats from the global to marry a Samburu warrior, however has to retreat back due to the tribes inability to change and adapt to the changing way of the world.

Penguiny

HSC
Could we use anything from the Prelim course as related ?
I've found one that'd work hella.

jacofox

HSC
Im using the film Garden State for extra material. It's really good when linking to The Shipping News especially when comparing Quoyle to Zach Braffs character and using belonging as a dominant theme to how the Global may have affected a persons identity.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)