Supplementary Texts (1 Viewer)

Cerry

HSC
I've got half-yearlies in second week back (ie, about 3 weeks from now), and I have to have two supp texts. I have one, and am in the process of getting my second one.
However, I'm completely lost about what I'm supposed to do with said texts in the exam. I know that I have to link them to my prescribed text, but do I need to have analysis of techniques in the supp texts, or do I just need to be able to link them to the prescribed texts with common themes (or juxtaposing themes) and stuff? Help would be really appreciated, since I don't really want to get to school and discover that I've got to learn all new stuff about my texts in a week before the exams.

HSC
do you have any ideas/information you can share to help determine what the question might be? because it may be different for different schools, but in my half-yearlys we didn't have to link the actual TEXT, we had to link them to the concept of journeys i.e.

extremely basic example: a prominent technique in text 1 is *insert tech*, used in the quote *insert quote*. it conveys the concept of journeys by blah blah blah.

i use the TEE format: technique - example - explanation of technique and how it conveys the concept of journeys.

hope that helps...

ala7923

HSC
You definately need to analyse your supplementary texts with techniques and all. It's best to integrate your prescribed with your supplementary through concepts, but also try to discuss similar techniques (but that is not absolutely necessary).

For example:

Concept 1:
Prescribed text has juxtaposition reflecting on the concept
Supp text 1 also has juxtaposition reflecting on the concept
Supp text 2 explores the concept through a metaphor .....

Concept 2:
etc....

Also, spend an equal amount of time on each text, but it's best to discuss the prescribed first, and then bring in supplementaries.

Hope that helps :)

Cerry

HSC
Thanks guys. I think I've got my head around it now, and I'll double check with my teacher when we get back, so it should be all good.

Rekkusu

Currently: Away
HSC
Supplementary texts are actually bonus marks in English.

Basically the strategy is to first identify the main idea of the Essay Question. Once identified, state where this is found in the prescibed text.

Para 1: Prescibed text - Theme followed by Technique and quote.
e.g. In the movie "Seven Days in Tibet", "it is said that the longer your journey is, the more cleansed you would be in Tibetan Spirituality," as the camera spans over the almost endless mountainous regions, revealing that much can be learnt not only about the journey but also oneself.

Then link that to your supplementary text.

Para 2: This is also ideally reflected in Princess Diaries, where Anne Hathaway grows in terms of her personal stamina and ability to deal with the situation, and not just be "invisible".

Then link to your 2nd prescibed text.

Then link back to 2nd Supplementary text.

By the time of your HSC, this will be like clockwork. Seeing the theme and letting your mind click straight into that mode is the key to a successful essay.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)