Survey (1 Viewer)

mylegshurt

HSC
are there any others out there doing German continuers who aren't native speakers, have a German speaking family member or at least havent actually been to Germany?

Dreamerish*~

Love Addict - Nakashima
HSC
Oh, I do German Extension, and I don't have any of those. :p

Actually, I do, but they're not of much use. I am 0% German, but my parents know a little bit of german. However, they have never helped me with my homework, because they're worried that their german isn't always grammatically correct, and don't want me to learn the wrong things. I've been to Germany, and trust me when I say that unless you put 200% effort into communicating with anything that speaks, it doesn't help a great deal with language. What the Germany-trip did was to improve our knowledge and experience of german history and culture, which is more relevant to the extension course.

If you're worried, here are some tips:
  • Keep your language simple - do not attempt complicated sentences or use phrases straight from the dictionary. Grammatic accuracy is more important than flaunting your language skills with uncertainty. :)t
  • When you're not sure of the genders of nouns, make sure you check them up.
  • Know all of your cases, and when to use them. Draw a table (or tables) if you're not sure. Memorise it, and at the beginning of your exam, scribble it down on top of the page for reference.
  • Build your vocabulary to minimise the use of dictionaries during exams - they take up a LOT of time.
  • Try read some german material, and listen to german music - although I'm not particularly fond of it... :p
Good luck!

Last edited:

elisabeth

HSC
Native speaker? No.
German-speaking family? Nope.
Been to Germany? Yeah, x4, Austria x3 and Switzerland once.

So even though these were just week long/weekend trips to German speaking countries, I found it really helped. Even if you're just reinforcing vocab you already know, actually thinking on your feet in a real life situation is harder and more important than reciting known exam questions in a practice situation. And I think I can say this with some authority, because I reckon it helped me get 99% in continuers' half yearly (OHS) :p

Anyway, I know it sucks that there's no background speakers' course, because it seems we have to work a hundred times harder to do half as well. But I guess all we can do is work our arses off and then revel in the glory of creaming the native speakers in the exams (hopefully!).

elsi

HSC
heres a dollap of consolation. I know a girl who, although she went to germany for six months, didn't have anything els to do with germany. But she was really really passionate about her german and got 98!!! in continuers, and 48!! in extension. I'm sorry, but those are good marks. She did have an amazig teacher though, who was also really passionate about it too. It shows that study can definitly beat native speakers who think they don't need to study because they're already good.

scoby_2000

HSC
Dreamerish*~ said:
Oh, I do German Extension, and I don't have any of those. :p
i as well....1 of 3 and the others are germans

the only real "advantage" i have is that i was in berlin for 5 weeks

however it has come to my understanding that having gone on exchange is nothing to be proud of as the majority of students seem to of gone (well...at this thing at the Goethe there was only 1 who hadnt....)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)