Surviving hsc french (1 Viewer)

jordelizabeth

HSC
hey all,
oh gosh, its good to know HSC year is coming closer to the end, but I am really struggling with one of my subjects. I'm doing French Continuers, and can never seem to get the marks i need on the tests!!
anyone have any tips?

Thanks

powlmao

Banned
HSC
Ce qui semble être le problème. Le français est relativement simple, je veux dire je peux le dire, pourtant je suis un hardcore droit à ailes libérale.

Message personnel moi si vous avez besoin d'aide ou des documents du passé.

Aussi, ne vous allez à bord de la rivière?

Amleops

Perpetual Student
HSC
Well in terms of exam techniques, I'm sure you've probably been told to try and search for the general gist of topics, or even isolated words here and there, which would hopefully help to make the question seem less intimidating. In terms of developing your overall listening skills, all you can do is consistent practice really; unfortunately there is no magic formula or shortcut around this. If you immerse yourself in a lot of extra curricular French texts over time you start to develop your skills. French News is on SBS daily if you are able to record that, websites like Zut and Linguascope (providing your school has an account or you want to make one yourself) have a number of listening activities you can do as well. And if you are near to the city I believe the Alliance Francaise runs a few workshops throughout the holidays, so you may want to go check them out.

I had a similar problem to you, my reading and writing skills were really strong but my listening skills decreased since we left all the basic Year 9 and 10 stuff behind us. And I absolutely deplore unprepared speaking, not to mention the fact that the conversation exam is conveniently placed right in the middle of Trials. I didn't really have the time to commit as much as I should, so I dropped French last term. The thing is with any language subjects is that you are up against quite a few semi-native speakers to which the practical applications of language in listening and speaking come much easier to them, so if you want to succeed in HSC French, or indeed the language in general, you will have to make ample time to study in order to improve your marks.

Meshy590

HSC
Definitely agree with French News, it really helps. Not only because it improves listening skills, but it gives you knowledge about issues that may be asked in exam. If you can't record it, you can watch it here: http://www.france2.fr/jt/. And French Radio is on SBS radio everyday i think...

Also have a look at the VCE past papers. You can download the mp3 for the speaking exam, and that might help as well!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)