• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Swearing in Quotes (1 Viewer)

sc0tty101

Is this allowed? Frowned upon.
The quote I am using is from 'Donnie Darko'.
Its the part when he tells Charita to "Go back to china bitch".

Can I/Should I quote it like this, or censor it somewhat b**ch, or just not use it all together?

ujuphleg

oo-joo-fleg
HSC
i think that swearing in a quote is alright (and since i'm from Turramurra High where all that furore over the mayor swearing earlier this year is from i should know)

but i reckon its best to censor. You have to remember, that there is a human element to marking -- the marker is a person. And if its an old stuffy lady that doesn't like swearing then you could lose marks for nothing. Censor is best.

disco_dave

is the disco_king!
HSC
if it is a direct quote from you text it is fine to use it. I asked this many a times in english and the verdict was its allowed and they prefer it to be how it really is.

but if you dont fell comfortable using the words im sure there would be no marks deducted for using *'s. three of my english texts (prescribed and related) have swearing in it and its fine for quotes.

very good

ujuphleg

oo-joo-fleg
HSC
i still reckon when in doubt censor. you could have marks deducted for profanity from some stuffy marker and it would be a real shame...

sc0tty101

Yep that sounds like the way to go ujuphleg. I can't see myself being marked down because of the sensoring, but its a possibilitty (albeit. slight) that it may offend...and that just creates a bad impression. So...censoring it is.

Managore

HSC
hehehe... "You are a 'stupid idiot'(p30). I 'really hate you' (p19) and think you 'suck' (p3). Go to 'hell'(p12)."

jumb

mr jumb
HSC
This is the perfect time to ring up the advice line!

J

jhakka

I don't think you should censor a quote. It adds to the effect of the text, otherwise the composer wouldn't have used it. English teachers of all people should be able to see that, but just to be safe I suggest you comment on it.

disco_dave

is the disco_king!
HSC
jhakka said:
I don't think you should censor a quote. It adds to the effect of the text, otherwise the composer wouldn't have used it. English teachers of all people should be able to see that, but just to be safe I suggest you comment on it.
i am agreeing with you on this one. the word was put in there for a reason and effect. for this reason it should be included in the quote for full effect.

like jhakka said, english teachers (generally) know the meaning and context of such words. i will be using the words in my quotes... personal choice!

senso

Left BOS 11/04
HSC
N/A
I don't know for sure. I reckon it would be fine to put it in, especially since it's only bitch.
But.. best to be safe. I can not see them frowning upon you censoring it, whereas it is 'possible' they will for uncensored..

Assasinator_2

HSC
Just put it in. You are directly quoting a book that was given to you as part of the course material, and therefore it should be absolutely fine. If they didn't want swearing, they would not give you the book.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)