Sydney Technical vs Hurlstone Agricultural (1 Viewer)

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
has anyone received an authority to enrol letter for getting into a selective school? lil sister is nagging ==' painful being a sister.
Received it from Hurlstone but no response from tech yet D:

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
I think I've come to a 95% (very near certain) decision that I'm going to Sydney Tech next year...
I don't think I'll regret it because being able to choose ALL my subjects is something that will definitely help me for my HSC and possible ATAR...
Flexible HSC Subjects > Stronger Cohort (unless it's James Ruse xD)
I mean, I always hear sefton having ALOT of TBs/gangsters and everything and look at its ranking (probably one of the best, if not the best, partial selective school).
But I'm always open to any opinions either for or against my decision for around one more week... All opinions about both schools are still welcomed!
Also, can anyone tell me anything about the principal of Syd Tech?

deswa1

HSC
I go to Tech and I think its a good school (Year 12 2012). In regards to the principal, what specifically did you want to know. She rambles on a lot at assemblies about random things but apart from that I don't have a problem with her...

such_such

HSC
Good on ya. I would've chose Sydney Tech as well if I was in your position and I was a boy 8)

sometung

HSC
I logged on merely to tell you how much i hate the Sydney tech principal.
She is generally hated.
However after year 12 mock assembly she has not rambled on at any assembly (cause we basically abused that)
however she really has nothing to do with anything

And about your questions about rankings id say postively that we are going back in the upwards direction.
Also i really think tech has the best attitude around. Good Bunch of fellas.

However another think that id note is if Hurlstone is closer travel wise go there. Cause otherways continous travel would become a bitch

JustAnotherGirl

HSC
I started in Hurlstone this year for year 11, its a great school, yes there is the downfall of having to do Ag for the 2 years but yes there is the 12 unit thing so it can always be the subject that doesnt count at the end of the year. And in all honesty is is pretty easy, I mean you got into the school so you are smart already

slyhunter

Retired
HSC
I started in Hurlstone this year for year 11, its a great school, yes there is the downfall of having to do Ag for the 2 years but yes there is the 12 unit thing so it can always be the subject that doesnt count at the end of the year. And in all honesty is is pretty easy, I mean you got into the school so you are smart already
Yay, another HAHSer

Treegirl

HSC
N/A
I graduated from Hurlstone in 2010 and it was an awesome school. Very relaxed atmosphere. Some very competitive aka note-hogging students. Mehs. If you are a 1337 student it doesnt matter what your peers are up to, because in the end the better man wins. On a related note, I dont really get why all the asians keep complaining and stigmatising Ag. It was a wonderful subject. All that talk about scaling is irrelevant. 10 units count. If you believe that Ag's crappy scaling is going to affect your ATAR that much then you also need to consider your performance in your other subjects. Yes, I did Ag and I loved it and I did well in it. No bias intended. Lol. Just never really got why some of my peers looked down on Ag. Also, it doesnt really matter how your cohort is. If you rank 1st in a subject and you have what it takes to top it again in the HSC exam, you will end up with a great mark for that course any ways. Its a bit unrealistic to think that one can rely on their cohort seeing as from my experience, no-one really shared notes with each other; it was only after the trials that notes were shared. I mean, the ranks were set. I mean even amongst friends, there was that implicit rivalry. The HSC is, at the end of the day, about self-confidence and individual performance. Rankings really only show overall performance, they dont account for individual factors. Having said that, with both schools' cohorts being focused on academic performance, this factor doesnt really matter.

I hope this makes sense. Correct me for any undue assumptions. I just happened to be quite a competitive student who enjoyed doing non-asian subjects. Lol.

such_such

HSC
There's also a compulsory 12 unit no-more-no-less rule that just got introduced this year for both year 11 and year 12.

Treegirl

HSC
N/A
Well, only 3 kinds of people do more than 12 units: those who really enjoy the extra subjects they take up, those who either cannot decide or are unconfident, and then you have those who do it for the lols. Though, I guess the dilemma of doing Ag seems to still weigh quite heavily here.

slyhunter

Retired
HSC
Lol, we probably know eachother..
Hello

I graduated from Hurlstone in 2010 and it was an awesome school. Very relaxed atmosphere. Some very competitive aka note-hogging students. Mehs. If you are a 1337 student it doesnt matter what your peers are up to, because in the end the better man wins. On a related note, I dont really get why all the asians keep complaining and stigmatising Ag. It was a wonderful subject. All that talk about scaling is irrelevant. 10 units count. If you believe that Ag's crappy scaling is going to affect your ATAR that much then you also need to consider your performance in your other subjects. Yes, I did Ag and I loved it and I did well in it. No bias intended. Lol. Just never really got why some of my peers looked down on Ag. Also, it doesnt really matter how your cohort is. If you rank 1st in a subject and you have what it takes to top it again in the HSC exam, you will end up with a great mark for that course any ways. Its a bit unrealistic to think that one can rely on their cohort seeing as from my experience, no-one really shared notes with each other; it was only after the trials that notes were shared. I mean, the ranks were set. I mean even amongst friends, there was that implicit rivalry. The HSC is, at the end of the day, about self-confidence and individual performance. Rankings really only show overall performance, they dont account for individual factors. Having said that, with both schools' cohorts being focused on academic performance, this factor doesnt really matter.

I hope this makes sense. Correct me for any undue assumptions. I just happened to be quite a competitive student who enjoyed doing non-asian subjects. Lol.
Your grade brought us out of the top 20 boooo

But yeah, I agree with the whole lack of note sharing, our grade in particular had a thing for demanding people share notes etc. but never doing it themselves.

Aesytic

HSC
Hello

Your grade brought us out of the top 20 boooo

But yeah, I agree with the whole lack of note sharing, our grade in particular had a thing for demanding people share notes etc. but never doing it themselves.
I know of a few people in my grade as well who ask for notes/help from others yet never returning the favour in any way, but it's mostly a small issue for me as my friends and I tend to share our ideas/notes. I think our school is a lot more competitive than other schools...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)