Syllabus development (1 Viewer)

Templar

P vs NP
HSC
Perhaps Schoey could be best seen as the 'Playstation kids in Twenty20 cricket'. They just want to smash the ball because it is fun, but has no interest in footwork and shot selection that are vital in the game.

All HSC mathematics other than general does is provide a foundation for the real, abstract mathematics in uni (whether it does this successfully is another matter). The calculus theme dominating the course is because in the physical would, it is calculus that will solve your problems, like maximising profits or minimising costs. It is a cornerstone of applied mathematicss.

While uni maths might seem interesting and fun, it is based on the foundation set in earlier years that allow us to tackle these problems. Without groundwork in mathematical rigour, we cannot prove anything in analysis, algebra, or indeed any mathematical subjects. Even applied mathematics come from theorems involving what used to be abstract concepts. Mathematics was always meant to be logical, deterministic, with an unambiguous answer. Logic is at the centre of mathematics, which is why Godel's theorems cause so many headaches because we can never prove that consistency exists. There are some things we cannot compromise on, because without logic and rigour, there would be no mathematics.

I suggest you listen to those who have experienced what real mathematics is like. You are just at the beginning of your mathematical education. Real mathematics holds surprises and rewards far beyond what your average high school students can imagine. It is easy to talk about these topics, but to really understand what they are, requires hard work down at the fundamental level.

To quote from Hilbert, "wir mussen wissen, wir werden wissen". Mathematics is about the quest to know everything, and that should be the goal of doing mathematics.

kurt.physics

HSC
N/A
Actually, I LOVE Mathematics, so please do not make outright ridiculous assumptions. I do not "clearly" hate maths. What I do hate is HOW MATHS IS TAUGHT is high schools.

With the exception of, perhaps, Mathematics Extension 1 and Mathematics Extension 2 (or "Maths C" if you live in QLD, or "Calculus" if you're from WA), the "mathematics" taught in Australian schools is NOT true mathematics. It is what we call applied math, which is all well and good... but even applied math is not taught right in NSW schools.

Mathematics is, from my understanding, about PROCESSES. It is NOT what answer you get that counts, but instead it is HOW YOU GOT that answer. Mathematics is about the imagination, it is a game, not a science, it is creative, not logical.

Clearly, Kurt... you do not even understand what true mathematics is! :)
If you love mathematics so much, as you claim, and the extension courses are true mathematics, as you implied, then why are you not going to do them???

I do agree that real mathematics is not being taught properly in NSW schools, but it is not going to deter me from pursuing real mathematics (which is found somewhere in higher education). If you have love for real mathematics, then you have to really grit your teeth and hold on to get to real maths.

And what the hell is your obsession with saying mathematics is not logical? WTF? Logic is the foundation of mathematics!!! If you cannot understand this, how can you claim to understand true mathematics.

So stop telling me how to behave and telling me to grow up. And "Tommy-kins" ... how I behave on an Internet forum has absolutely NOTHING to do with how mature I am, that's for you to judge if we ever meet in person (and I bloody well hope we don't, if you're anything like your Internet persona; if I were to judge you on that, you are an arrogant know-it-all prick!).
What do you mean? How you behave on forums has absolutely everything to do with how mature someone is! The mere fact that you think that you can parade around the virtual world doing what ever the hell you want just proves your immaturity! Not only this, but the fact you feel the need to insult someone with obscene language and make ridiculous statements just further suggests your level of maturity.

kurt.physics

HSC
N/A
Kurt, how I am in real life is completely different to how you perceive me based on the written word. For one, I am more likely to say stupid things on the Internet without realizing because I cannot see your facial expression to gauge the reaction to what I have said.
It seams that you are suggesting that you hide your real self and pretend to act different in the real world to suit the personality of others "...because I cannot see your facial expression to gauge the reaction to what I have said"

In such a case, it would seam that you act more like yourself on the forums as you cannot really react to peoples facial expressions. This would only imply that you are really a silly immature person whom hides their immaturity behind a fake smile?

And:

• YES, logic is the FOUNDATION of Mathematics, but
  • My point is: Mathematics can be so much more; it is creative, a journey of the imagination, a myriad of utterly elegant thought processes.
  • Mathematics is so much more than "find the unknown sides and unknown angles in Triangle ABC". This is boring. This is logical - yet it is NOT mathematics. This is more general knowledge.
  • High School Mathematics should be called Memorization and Regurgitation Class as all you do in the class, with the exception of perhaps Mathematics Extension 2, is sit there learn formulae but rote (without BOTHERING at all to derive them!) AND PLUG THEM INTO EQUATIONS!
  • Well f*** me dead if that's maths.
  • It's like sitting down to teach an English class and saying: "Today's lesson will focus on nothing other than semicolons. Semicolons are a punctuation mark which indicate a long pause, slightly longer than the pause appropriate for a comma blah blah blah..." NO ONE CARES> no wonder so many people HATE, HATE, HATE maths.
  • It's garbage what they teach in Stage 5.3 Math, and Mathematics 2-unit, Extension 1 from what I've heard, is more of the same... 'tis such a shame!
I agree that mathematics can be so much more. It is an adventure, its not just formulas and memorization and it is an elegant process. But consider this, most people who go into school will not be mathematicians, theoretical physicists or anything as such, they do not need to understand the elegance of mathematics like the physicists do, they just need to add numbers or use pythagoras for their jobs as builders or at the shops.

Those of us who do the hard yards, who have the brains to find the elegance of mathematics are lucky, and those who don't have no idea what they miss out on, but that is just the reality. We are a society, and everyone plays their part.

And that is an interesting simile you have, but the fact is that you have to learn what semicolons, full stops, metaphors etc are before you can write like Shakespeare! Its just with mathematics, you have a bit more to cover.

HSC
N/A
It has come to my attention that the final BOS syllabus has been completed, bet has not been released yet.

Last edited:
HSC
N/A
The decision taken at the last Board of Studies meeting on March 31 regarding the implementation of new Stage 6 Maths curriculum is as follows.

The Board of Studies agreed:

(i) to endorse the Stage 6 Mathematics syllabuses.

(ii) to advise the Minister not to approve the Stage 6 Mathematics syllabuses for implementation at this time pending the outcomes of the national curriculum development.

(iii) that the Board use the Stage 6 Mathematics syllabuses as the basis of its advice to the National Curriculum Board concerning the national syllabuses.

(iv) that the issue be revisited at its December 2009 meeting to consider progress of the national Stage 6 Mathematics syllabus.

The Office of the Board wanted to hold off implementation indefinitely, pending National Curriculum development, however the teacher reps on the Board opposed this because: The current syllabuses were not reviewed in 1996 as others were and are therefore dated; the new syllabuses are ready and teachers want them – especially new courses; it is unknown when the National Curriculum will be implemented, especially in stage 6.

The result of the debate was that the Board decided to review the decision to implement in December.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
so...when is the national curriculum coming up?

Last edited:
HSC
N/A
Draft timelines for writing the national curriculum are set out below.

<table class="MsoTableGrid" style="border-right: medium none; border-top: medium none; border-left: medium none; border-bottom: medium none; border-collapse: collapse; mso-border-alt: solid black .5pt; mso-border-themecolor: text1; mso-yfti-tbllook: 1184; mso-padding-alt: 0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0" border="1"><tbody><tr style="mso-yfti-irow: 0; mso-yfti-firstrow: yes"><td style="border-right: black 1pt solid; padding-right: 5.4pt; border-top: black 1pt solid; padding-left: 5.4pt; padding-bottom: 0cm; border-left: black 1pt solid; width: 137.7pt; padding-top: 0cm; border-bottom: black 1pt solid; background-color: transparent; mso-border-alt: solid black .5pt; mso-border-themecolor: text1" valign="top" width="184"><p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt; line-height: normal"><b><span lang="EN-AU" style="font-size: 10pt; font-family: "><font color="#000000">Stage</font></span></b></p></td><td style="border-right: black 1pt solid; padding-right: 5.4pt; border-top: black 1pt solid; padding-left: 5.4pt; padding-bottom: 0cm; border-left: #ece9d8; width: 243.35pt; padding-top: 0cm; border-bottom: black 1pt solid; background-color: transparent; mso-border-alt: solid black .5pt; mso-border-themecolor: text1; mso-border-left-alt: solid black .5pt; mso-border-left-themecolor: text1" valign="top" width="324"><p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt; line-height: normal"><b><span lang="EN-AU" style="font-size: 10pt; font-family: "><font color="#000000">Activity</font></span></b></p></td><td style="border-right: black 1pt solid; padding-right: 5.4pt; border-top: black 1pt solid; padding-left: 5.4pt; padding-bottom: 0cm; border-left: #ece9d8; width: 77.95pt; padding-top: 0cm; border-bottom: black 1pt solid; background-color: transparent; mso-border-alt: solid black .5pt; mso-border-themecolor: text1; mso-border-left-alt: solid black .5pt; mso-border-left-themecolor: text1" valign="top" width="104"><p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt; line-height: normal; text-align: center" align="center"><b><span lang="EN-AU" style="font-size: 10pt; font-family: "><font color="#000000">Timelines</font></span></b></p><p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt; line-height: normal; text-align: center" align="center"><b><span lang="EN-AU" style="font-size: 10pt; font-family: "><font color="#000000">K - 10</font></span></b></p></td><td style="border-right: black 1pt solid; padding-right: 5.4pt; border-top: black 1pt solid; padding-left: 5.4pt; padding-bottom: 0cm; border-left: #ece9d8; width: 91.8pt; padding-top: 0cm; border-bottom: black 1pt solid; background-color: transparent; mso-border-alt: solid black .5pt; mso-border-themecolor: text1; mso-border-left-alt: solid black .5pt; mso-border-left-themecolor: text1" valign="top" width="122"><p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt; line-height: normal; text-align: center" align="center"><b><span lang="EN-AU" style="font-size: 10pt; font-family: "><font color="#000000">Timelines</font></span></b></p><p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt; line-height: normal; text-align: center" align="center"><b><span lang="EN-AU" style="font-size: 10pt; font-family: "><font color="#000000">Senior years (11/12)</font></span></b></p></td></tr><tr style="mso-yfti-irow: 1"><td style="border-right: black 1pt solid; padding-right: 5.4pt; border-top: #ece9d8; padding-left: 5.4pt; padding-bottom: 0cm; border-left: black 1pt solid; width: 137.7pt; padding-top: 0cm; border-bottom: black 1pt solid; background-color: transparent; mso-border-alt: solid black .5pt; mso-border-themecolor: text1; mso-border-top-alt: solid black .5pt; mso-border-top-themecolor: text1" valign="top" width="184"><p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt; line-height: normal"><span lang="EN-AU" style="font-size: 10pt; font-family: "><font color="#000000">Curriculum Framing</font></span></p></td><td style="border-right: black 1pt solid; padding-right: 5.4pt; border-top: #ece9d8; padding-left: 5.4pt; padding-bottom: 0cm; border-left: #ece9d8; width: 243.35pt; padding-top: 0cm; border-bottom: black 1pt solid; background-color: transparent; mso-border-alt: solid black .5pt; mso-border-themecolor: text1; mso-border-left-alt: solid black .5pt; mso-border-left-themecolor: text1; mso-border-top-alt: solid black .5pt; mso-border-top-themecolor: text1; mso-border-bottom-themecolor: text1; mso-border-right-themecolor: text1" valign="top" width="324"><p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt; line-height: normal"><span lang="EN-AU" style="font-size: 10pt; font-family: "><font color="#000000">Confirmation of directions for writing curriculum for the learning areas of English, mathematics, the sciences and history</font></span></p><p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt; line-height: normal"><span lang="EN-AU" style="font-size: 10pt; font-family: "><font color="#000000"> </font></span></p></td><td style="border-right: black 1pt solid; padding-right: 5.4pt; border-top: #ece9d8; padding-left: 5.4pt; padding-bottom: 0cm; border-left: #ece9d8; width: 77.95pt; padding-top: 0cm; border-bottom: black 1pt solid; background-color: transparent; mso-border-alt: solid black .5pt; mso-border-themecolor: text1; mso-border-left-alt: solid black .5pt; mso-border-left-themecolor: text1; mso-border-top-alt: solid black .5pt; mso-border-top-themecolor: text1; mso-border-bottom-themecolor: text1; mso-border-right-themecolor: text1" valign="top" width="104"><p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt; line-height: normal"><span lang="EN-AU" style="font-size: 10pt; font-family: "><font color="#000000">April, 2009</font></span></p></td><td style="border-right: black 1pt solid; padding-right: 5.4pt; border-top: #ece9d8; padding-left: 5.4pt; padding-bottom: 0cm; border-left: #ece9d8; width: 91.8pt; padding-top: 0cm; border-bottom: black 1pt solid; background-color: transparent; mso-border-alt: solid black .5pt; mso-border-themecolor: text1; mso-border-left-alt: solid black .5pt; mso-border-left-themecolor: text1; mso-border-top-alt: solid black .5pt; mso-border-top-themecolor: text1; mso-border-bottom-themecolor: text1; mso-border-right-themecolor: text1" valign="top" width="122"><p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt; line-height: normal"><span lang="EN-AU" style="font-size: 10pt; font-family: "><font color="#000000">April, 2009</font></span></p></td></tr><tr style="mso-yfti-irow: 2"><td style="border-right: black 1pt solid; padding-right: 5.4pt; border-top: #ece9d8; padding-left: 5.4pt; padding-bottom: 0cm; border-left: black 1pt solid; width: 137.7pt; padding-top: 0cm; border-bottom: black 1pt solid; background-color: transparent; mso-border-alt: solid black .5pt; mso-border-themecolor: text1; mso-border-top-alt: solid black .5pt; mso-border-top-themecolor: text1" valign="top" width="184"><p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt; line-height: normal"><span lang="EN-AU" style="font-size: 10pt; font-family: "><font color="#000000">Curriculum Development</font></span></p></td><td style="border-right: black 1pt solid; padding-right: 5.4pt; border-top: #ece9d8; padding-left: 5.4pt; padding-bottom: 0cm; border-left: #ece9d8; width: 243.35pt; padding-top: 0cm; border-bottom: black 1pt solid; background-color: transparent; mso-border-alt: solid black .5pt; mso-border-themecolor: text1; mso-border-left-alt: solid black .5pt; mso-border-left-themecolor: text1; mso-border-top-alt: solid black .5pt; mso-border-top-themecolor: text1; mso-border-bottom-themecolor: text1; mso-border-right-themecolor: text1" valign="top" width="324"><p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt; line-height: normal"><span lang="EN-AU" style="font-size: 10pt; font-family: "><font color="#000000">2 step process for development of curriculum documents </font></span></p><p class="MsoListParagraphCxSpFirst" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt 36pt; text-indent: -18pt; line-height: normal; mso-add-space: auto; mso-list: l0 level1 lfo1"><font color="#000000"><span lang="EN-AU" style="font-size: 10pt; font-family: Symbol; mso-bidi-font-family: Symbol; mso-ansi-language: EN-AU; mso-fareast-font-family: Symbol; mso-bidi-font-weight: bold"><span style="mso-list: Ignore">·<span style="font-weight: normal; font-size: 7pt; line-height: normal; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal" times="" new=""> </span></span></span><span lang="EN-AU" style="font-size: 10pt; font-family: ">Step 1 – broad outline; scope and sequence</span></font></p><p class="MsoListParagraphCxSpMiddle" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt 36pt; text-indent: -18pt; line-height: normal; mso-add-space: auto; mso-list: l0 level1 lfo1"><font color="#000000"><span lang="EN-AU" style="font-size: 10pt; font-family: Symbol; mso-bidi-font-family: Symbol; mso-ansi-language: EN-AU; mso-fareast-font-family: Symbol; mso-bidi-font-weight: bold"><span style="mso-list: Ignore">·<span style="font-weight: normal; font-size: 7pt; line-height: normal; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal" times="" new=""> </span></span></span><span lang="EN-AU" style="font-size: 10pt; font-family: ">Step 2 – completion of ‘detail’ of curriculum</span></font></p><p class="MsoListParagraphCxSpLast" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt 36pt; line-height: normal; mso-add-space: auto"><span lang="EN-AU" style="font-size: 10pt; font-family: "><font color="#000000"> </font></span></p></td><td style="border-right: black 1pt solid; padding-right: 5.4pt; border-top: #ece9d8; padding-left: 5.4pt; padding-bottom: 0cm; border-left: #ece9d8; width: 77.95pt; padding-top: 0cm; border-bottom: black 1pt solid; background-color: transparent; mso-border-alt: solid black .5pt; mso-border-themecolor: text1; mso-border-left-alt: solid black .5pt; mso-border-left-themecolor: text1; mso-border-top-alt: solid black .5pt; mso-border-top-themecolor: text1; mso-border-bottom-themecolor: text1; mso-border-right-themecolor: text1" valign="top" width="104"><p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt; line-height: normal"><span lang="EN-AU" style="font-size: 10pt; font-family: "><font color="#000000">April – December 2009</font></span></p></td><td style="border-right: black 1pt solid; padding-right: 5.4pt; border-top: #ece9d8; padding-left: 5.4pt; padding-bottom: 0cm; border-left: #ece9d8; width: 91.8pt; padding-top: 0cm; border-bottom: black 1pt solid; background-color: transparent; mso-border-alt: solid black .5pt; mso-border-themecolor: text1; mso-border-left-alt: solid black .5pt; mso-border-left-themecolor: text1; mso-border-top-alt: solid black .5pt; mso-border-top-themecolor: text1; mso-border-bottom-themecolor: text1; mso-border-right-themecolor: text1" valign="top" width="122"><p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt; line-height: normal"><span lang="EN-AU" style="font-size: 10pt; font-family: "><font color="#000000">June, 2009 – January, 2010</font></span></p></td></tr><tr style="mso-yfti-irow: 3"><td style="border-right: black 1pt solid; padding-right: 5.4pt; border-top: #ece9d8; padding-left: 5.4pt; padding-bottom: 0cm; border-left: black 1pt solid; width: 137.7pt; padding-top: 0cm; border-bottom: black 1pt solid; background-color: transparent; mso-border-alt: solid black .5pt; mso-border-themecolor: text1; mso-border-top-alt: solid black .5pt; mso-border-top-themecolor: text1" valign="top" width="184"><p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt; line-height: normal"><span lang="EN-AU" style="font-size: 10pt; font-family: "><font color="#000000">Consultation</font></span></p></td><td style="border-right: black 1pt solid; padding-right: 5.4pt; border-top: #ece9d8; padding-left: 5.4pt; padding-bottom: 0cm; border-left: #ece9d8; width: 243.35pt; padding-top: 0cm; border-bottom: black 1pt solid; background-color: transparent; mso-border-alt: solid black .5pt; mso-border-themecolor: text1; mso-border-left-alt: solid black .5pt; mso-border-left-themecolor: text1; mso-border-top-alt: solid black .5pt; mso-border-top-themecolor: text1; mso-border-bottom-themecolor: text1; mso-border-right-themecolor: text1" valign="top" width="324"><p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt; line-height: normal"><span lang="EN-AU" style="font-size: 10pt; font-family: "><font color="#000000">National consultation on curriculum documents and trialing </font></span></p></td><td style="border-right: black 1pt solid; padding-right: 5.4pt; border-top: #ece9d8; padding-left: 5.4pt; padding-bottom: 0cm; border-left: #ece9d8; width: 77.95pt; padding-top: 0cm; border-bottom: black 1pt solid; background-color: transparent; mso-border-alt: solid black .5pt; mso-border-themecolor: text1; mso-border-left-alt: solid black .5pt; mso-border-left-themecolor: text1; mso-border-top-alt: solid black .5pt; mso-border-top-themecolor: text1; mso-border-bottom-themecolor: text1; mso-border-right-themecolor: text1" valign="top" width="104"><p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt; line-height: normal"><span lang="EN-AU" style="font-size: 10pt; font-family: "><font color="#000000">January – April, 2010</font></span></p></td><td style="border-right: black 1pt solid; padding-right: 5.4pt; border-top: #ece9d8; padding-left: 5.4pt; padding-bottom: 0cm; border-left: #ece9d8; width: 91.8pt; padding-top: 0cm; border-bottom: black 1pt solid; background-color: transparent; mso-border-alt: solid black .5pt; mso-border-themecolor: text1; mso-border-left-alt: solid black .5pt; mso-border-left-themecolor: text1; mso-border-top-alt: solid black .5pt; mso-border-top-themecolor: text1; mso-border-bottom-themecolor: text1; mso-border-right-themecolor: text1" valign="top" width="122"><p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt; line-height: normal"><span lang="EN-AU" style="font-size: 10pt; font-family: "><font color="#000000">March – June, 2010</font></span></p><p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt; line-height: normal"><span lang="EN-AU" style="font-size: 10pt; font-family: "><font color="#000000"> </font></span></p></td></tr><tr style="mso-yfti-irow: 4; mso-yfti-lastrow: yes"><td style="border-right: black 1pt solid; padding-right: 5.4pt; border-top: #ece9d8; padding-left: 5.4pt; padding-bottom: 0cm; border-left: black 1pt solid; width: 137.7pt; padding-top: 0cm; border-bottom: black 1pt solid; background-color: transparent; mso-border-alt: solid black .5pt; mso-border-themecolor: text1; mso-border-top-alt: solid black .5pt; mso-border-top-themecolor: text1" valign="top" width="184"><p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt; line-height: normal"><span lang="EN-AU" style="font-size: 10pt; font-family: "><font color="#000000">Publication</font></span></p></td><td style="border-right: black 1pt solid; padding-right: 5.4pt; border-top: #ece9d8; padding-left: 5.4pt; padding-bottom: 0cm; border-left: #ece9d8; width: 243.35pt; padding-top: 0cm; border-bottom: black 1pt solid; background-color: transparent; mso-border-alt: solid black .5pt; mso-border-themecolor: text1; mso-border-left-alt: solid black .5pt; mso-border-left-themecolor: text1; mso-border-top-alt: solid black .5pt; mso-border-top-themecolor: text1; mso-border-bottom-themecolor: text1; mso-border-right-themecolor: text1" valign="top" width="324"><p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt; line-height: normal"><span lang="EN-AU" style="font-size: 10pt; font-family: "><font color="#000000">Publication of national curriculum documents in print and digital format</font></span></p></td><td style="border-right: black 1pt solid; padding-right: 5.4pt; border-top: #ece9d8; padding-left: 5.4pt; padding-bottom: 0cm; border-left: #ece9d8; width: 77.95pt; padding-top: 0cm; border-bottom: black 1pt solid; background-color: transparent; mso-border-alt: solid black .5pt; mso-border-themecolor: text1; mso-border-left-alt: solid black .5pt; mso-border-left-themecolor: text1; mso-border-top-alt: solid black .5pt; mso-border-top-themecolor: text1; mso-border-bottom-themecolor: text1; mso-border-right-themecolor: text1" valign="top" width="104"><p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt; line-height: normal"><span lang="EN-AU" style="font-size: 10pt; font-family: "><font color="#000000">June – July, 2010</font></span></p></td><td style="border-right: black 1pt solid; padding-right: 5.4pt; border-top: #ece9d8; padding-left: 5.4pt; padding-bottom: 0cm; border-left: #ece9d8; width: 91.8pt; padding-top: 0cm; border-bottom: black 1pt solid; background-color: transparent; mso-border-alt: solid black .5pt; mso-border-themecolor: text1; mso-border-left-alt: solid black .5pt; mso-border-left-themecolor: text1; mso-border-top-alt: solid black .5pt; mso-border-top-themecolor: text1; mso-border-bottom-themecolor: text1; mso-border-right-themecolor: text1" valign="top" width="122"><p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt; line-height: normal"><span lang="EN-AU" style="font-size: 10pt; font-family: "><font color="#000000">July – September, 2010</font></span></p><p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt; line-height: normal"><span lang="EN-AU" style="font-size: 10pt; font-family: "><font color="#000000"> </font></span></p></td></tr></tbody></table></p></div>
</div>
<br style="clear:both;" />
</div>

(from http://www.ncb.org.au/our_work/curriculum_development_process.html )

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Draft timelines for writing the national curriculum are set out below.

<TABLE class=MsoTableGrid style="BORDER-RIGHT: medium none; BORDER-TOP: medium none; BORDER-LEFT: medium none; BORDER-BOTTOM: medium none; BORDER-COLLAPSE: collapse; mso-border-alt: solid black .5pt; mso-border-themecolor: text1; mso-yfti-tbllook: 1184; mso-padding-alt: 0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 border=1><TBODY><TR style="mso-yfti-irow: 0; mso-yfti-firstrow: yes"><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: black 1pt solid; PADDING-RIGHT: 5.4pt; BORDER-TOP: black 1pt solid; PADDING-LEFT: 5.4pt; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0cm; BORDER-LEFT: black 1pt solid; WIDTH: 137.7pt; PADDING-TOP: 0cm; BORDER-BOTTOM: black 1pt solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; mso-border-alt: solid black .5pt; mso-border-themecolor: text1" vAlign=top width=184>Stage
</TD><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: black 1pt solid; PADDING-RIGHT: 5.4pt; BORDER-TOP: black 1pt solid; PADDING-LEFT: 5.4pt; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0cm; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; WIDTH: 243.35pt; PADDING-TOP: 0cm; BORDER-BOTTOM: black 1pt solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; mso-border-alt: solid black .5pt; mso-border-themecolor: text1; mso-border-left-alt: solid black .5pt; mso-border-left-themecolor: text1" vAlign=top width=324>Activity
</TD><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: black 1pt solid; PADDING-RIGHT: 5.4pt; BORDER-TOP: black 1pt solid; PADDING-LEFT: 5.4pt; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0cm; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; WIDTH: 77.95pt; PADDING-TOP: 0cm; BORDER-BOTTOM: black 1pt solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; mso-border-alt: solid black .5pt; mso-border-themecolor: text1; mso-border-left-alt: solid black .5pt; mso-border-left-themecolor: text1" vAlign=top width=104>
Timelines
K - 10
</TD><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: black 1pt solid; PADDING-RIGHT: 5.4pt; BORDER-TOP: black 1pt solid; PADDING-LEFT: 5.4pt; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0cm; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; WIDTH: 91.8pt; PADDING-TOP: 0cm; BORDER-BOTTOM: black 1pt solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; mso-border-alt: solid black .5pt; mso-border-themecolor: text1; mso-border-left-alt: solid black .5pt; mso-border-left-themecolor: text1" vAlign=top width=122>
Timelines
Senior years (11/12)
</TD></TR><TR style="mso-yfti-irow: 1"><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: black 1pt solid; PADDING-RIGHT: 5.4pt; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; PADDING-LEFT: 5.4pt; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0cm; BORDER-LEFT: black 1pt solid; WIDTH: 137.7pt; PADDING-TOP: 0cm; BORDER-BOTTOM: black 1pt solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; mso-border-alt: solid black .5pt; mso-border-themecolor: text1; mso-border-top-alt: solid black .5pt; mso-border-top-themecolor: text1" vAlign=top width=184>Curriculum Framing
</TD><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: black 1pt solid; PADDING-RIGHT: 5.4pt; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; PADDING-LEFT: 5.4pt; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0cm; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; WIDTH: 243.35pt; PADDING-TOP: 0cm; BORDER-BOTTOM: black 1pt solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; mso-border-alt: solid black .5pt; mso-border-themecolor: text1; mso-border-left-alt: solid black .5pt; mso-border-left-themecolor: text1; mso-border-top-alt: solid black .5pt; mso-border-top-themecolor: text1; mso-border-bottom-themecolor: text1; mso-border-right-themecolor: text1" vAlign=top width=324>Confirmation of directions for writing curriculum for the learning areas of English, mathematics, the sciences and history

</TD><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: black 1pt solid; PADDING-RIGHT: 5.4pt; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; PADDING-LEFT: 5.4pt; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0cm; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; WIDTH: 77.95pt; PADDING-TOP: 0cm; BORDER-BOTTOM: black 1pt solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; mso-border-alt: solid black .5pt; mso-border-themecolor: text1; mso-border-left-alt: solid black .5pt; mso-border-left-themecolor: text1; mso-border-top-alt: solid black .5pt; mso-border-top-themecolor: text1; mso-border-bottom-themecolor: text1; mso-border-right-themecolor: text1" vAlign=top width=104>April, 2009
</TD><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: black 1pt solid; PADDING-RIGHT: 5.4pt; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; PADDING-LEFT: 5.4pt; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0cm; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; WIDTH: 91.8pt; PADDING-TOP: 0cm; BORDER-BOTTOM: black 1pt solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; mso-border-alt: solid black .5pt; mso-border-themecolor: text1; mso-border-left-alt: solid black .5pt; mso-border-left-themecolor: text1; mso-border-top-alt: solid black .5pt; mso-border-top-themecolor: text1; mso-border-bottom-themecolor: text1; mso-border-right-themecolor: text1" vAlign=top width=122>April, 2009
</TD></TR><TR style="mso-yfti-irow: 2"><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: black 1pt solid; PADDING-RIGHT: 5.4pt; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; PADDING-LEFT: 5.4pt; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0cm; BORDER-LEFT: black 1pt solid; WIDTH: 137.7pt; PADDING-TOP: 0cm; BORDER-BOTTOM: black 1pt solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; mso-border-alt: solid black .5pt; mso-border-themecolor: text1; mso-border-top-alt: solid black .5pt; mso-border-top-themecolor: text1" vAlign=top width=184>Curriculum Development
</TD><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: black 1pt solid; PADDING-RIGHT: 5.4pt; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; PADDING-LEFT: 5.4pt; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0cm; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; WIDTH: 243.35pt; PADDING-TOP: 0cm; BORDER-BOTTOM: black 1pt solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; mso-border-alt: solid black .5pt; mso-border-themecolor: text1; mso-border-left-alt: solid black .5pt; mso-border-left-themecolor: text1; mso-border-top-alt: solid black .5pt; mso-border-top-themecolor: text1; mso-border-bottom-themecolor: text1; mso-border-right-themecolor: text1" vAlign=top width=324>2 step process for development of curriculum documents
· Step 1 – broad outline; scope and sequence
· Step 2 – completion of ‘detail’ of curriculum

</TD><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: black 1pt solid; PADDING-RIGHT: 5.4pt; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; PADDING-LEFT: 5.4pt; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0cm; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; WIDTH: 77.95pt; PADDING-TOP: 0cm; BORDER-BOTTOM: black 1pt solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; mso-border-alt: solid black .5pt; mso-border-themecolor: text1; mso-border-left-alt: solid black .5pt; mso-border-left-themecolor: text1; mso-border-top-alt: solid black .5pt; mso-border-top-themecolor: text1; mso-border-bottom-themecolor: text1; mso-border-right-themecolor: text1" vAlign=top width=104>April – December 2009
</TD><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: black 1pt solid; PADDING-RIGHT: 5.4pt; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; PADDING-LEFT: 5.4pt; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0cm; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; WIDTH: 91.8pt; PADDING-TOP: 0cm; BORDER-BOTTOM: black 1pt solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; mso-border-alt: solid black .5pt; mso-border-themecolor: text1; mso-border-left-alt: solid black .5pt; mso-border-left-themecolor: text1; mso-border-top-alt: solid black .5pt; mso-border-top-themecolor: text1; mso-border-bottom-themecolor: text1; mso-border-right-themecolor: text1" vAlign=top width=122>June, 2009 – January, 2010
</TD></TR><TR style="mso-yfti-irow: 3"><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: black 1pt solid; PADDING-RIGHT: 5.4pt; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; PADDING-LEFT: 5.4pt; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0cm; BORDER-LEFT: black 1pt solid; WIDTH: 137.7pt; PADDING-TOP: 0cm; BORDER-BOTTOM: black 1pt solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; mso-border-alt: solid black .5pt; mso-border-themecolor: text1; mso-border-top-alt: solid black .5pt; mso-border-top-themecolor: text1" vAlign=top width=184>Consultation
</TD><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: black 1pt solid; PADDING-RIGHT: 5.4pt; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; PADDING-LEFT: 5.4pt; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0cm; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; WIDTH: 243.35pt; PADDING-TOP: 0cm; BORDER-BOTTOM: black 1pt solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; mso-border-alt: solid black .5pt; mso-border-themecolor: text1; mso-border-left-alt: solid black .5pt; mso-border-left-themecolor: text1; mso-border-top-alt: solid black .5pt; mso-border-top-themecolor: text1; mso-border-bottom-themecolor: text1; mso-border-right-themecolor: text1" vAlign=top width=324>National consultation on curriculum documents and trialing
</TD><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: black 1pt solid; PADDING-RIGHT: 5.4pt; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; PADDING-LEFT: 5.4pt; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0cm; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; WIDTH: 77.95pt; PADDING-TOP: 0cm; BORDER-BOTTOM: black 1pt solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; mso-border-alt: solid black .5pt; mso-border-themecolor: text1; mso-border-left-alt: solid black .5pt; mso-border-left-themecolor: text1; mso-border-top-alt: solid black .5pt; mso-border-top-themecolor: text1; mso-border-bottom-themecolor: text1; mso-border-right-themecolor: text1" vAlign=top width=104>January – April, 2010
</TD><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: black 1pt solid; PADDING-RIGHT: 5.4pt; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; PADDING-LEFT: 5.4pt; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0cm; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; WIDTH: 91.8pt; PADDING-TOP: 0cm; BORDER-BOTTOM: black 1pt solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; mso-border-alt: solid black .5pt; mso-border-themecolor: text1; mso-border-left-alt: solid black .5pt; mso-border-left-themecolor: text1; mso-border-top-alt: solid black .5pt; mso-border-top-themecolor: text1; mso-border-bottom-themecolor: text1; mso-border-right-themecolor: text1" vAlign=top width=122>March – June, 2010

</TD></TR><TR style="mso-yfti-irow: 4; mso-yfti-lastrow: yes"><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: black 1pt solid; PADDING-RIGHT: 5.4pt; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; PADDING-LEFT: 5.4pt; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0cm; BORDER-LEFT: black 1pt solid; WIDTH: 137.7pt; PADDING-TOP: 0cm; BORDER-BOTTOM: black 1pt solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; mso-border-alt: solid black .5pt; mso-border-themecolor: text1; mso-border-top-alt: solid black .5pt; mso-border-top-themecolor: text1" vAlign=top width=184>Publication
</TD><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: black 1pt solid; PADDING-RIGHT: 5.4pt; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; PADDING-LEFT: 5.4pt; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0cm; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; WIDTH: 243.35pt; PADDING-TOP: 0cm; BORDER-BOTTOM: black 1pt solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; mso-border-alt: solid black .5pt; mso-border-themecolor: text1; mso-border-left-alt: solid black .5pt; mso-border-left-themecolor: text1; mso-border-top-alt: solid black .5pt; mso-border-top-themecolor: text1; mso-border-bottom-themecolor: text1; mso-border-right-themecolor: text1" vAlign=top width=324>Publication of national curriculum documents in print and digital format
</TD><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: black 1pt solid; PADDING-RIGHT: 5.4pt; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; PADDING-LEFT: 5.4pt; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0cm; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; WIDTH: 77.95pt; PADDING-TOP: 0cm; BORDER-BOTTOM: black 1pt solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; mso-border-alt: solid black .5pt; mso-border-themecolor: text1; mso-border-left-alt: solid black .5pt; mso-border-left-themecolor: text1; mso-border-top-alt: solid black .5pt; mso-border-top-themecolor: text1; mso-border-bottom-themecolor: text1; mso-border-right-themecolor: text1" vAlign=top width=104>June – July, 2010
</TD><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: black 1pt solid; PADDING-RIGHT: 5.4pt; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; PADDING-LEFT: 5.4pt; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0cm; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; WIDTH: 91.8pt; PADDING-TOP: 0cm; BORDER-BOTTOM: black 1pt solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; mso-border-alt: solid black .5pt; mso-border-themecolor: text1; mso-border-left-alt: solid black .5pt; mso-border-left-themecolor: text1; mso-border-top-alt: solid black .5pt; mso-border-top-themecolor: text1; mso-border-bottom-themecolor: text1; mso-border-right-themecolor: text1" vAlign=top width=122>July – September, 2010

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

(from Curriculum development process and timelines | National Curriculum Board )

Ah, okay. So the latest it can be implemented is 2011?

HSC
N/A
Ah, okay. So the latest it can be implemented is 2011?
That would be the earliest, not the latest - and that's only if they breach the 1 year rule.

Since publication is due for Jul. - Sept. 2010, and since NSW schools require syllabuses to be in schools at least 1 year prior to implementation, it is more likely to be 2012 at the earliest. This is what was alluded to in the meeting when they said "it is unknown when the National Curriculum will be implemented, especially in stage 6".

Last edited:

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
That would be the earliest, not the latest - and that's only if they breach the 1 year rule.

Since publication is due for Jul. - Sept. 2010, and since NSW schools require syllabuses to be in schools at least 1 year prior to implementation, it is more likely to be 2012 at the earliest. This is what was alluded to in the meeting when they said "it is unknown when the National Curriculum will be implemented, especially in stage 6".
lol sorry. I meant earliest haha

HSC
N/A
teacher reps on the Board of Studies said:
The current syllabuses were not reviewed in 1996 as others were and are therefore dated; the new syllabuses are ready and teachers want them – especially new courses.
I don't necessarily agree with these teacher reps.

Are the current courses dated? Many would say not.

Do teachers really want the new courses? Again, many would say not.

HSC
N/A
An elementary proof of the probabiity integral is available this month from the American Mathematical Monthly (see attached.)

Although 4 unit students can understand it, many from other states won't be able to understand it.

ACARA are creating a mess. They are deliberately keeping everything as vague as possible. Also, they are often contradicting themselves. It's becoming a farce.

The BOS said their syllabus is to be implemented in 2010. Now they are saying to use the old syllabus in 2010.

ACARA are saying theirs is for implementation in 2011. But with a 1-year-in-schools-first rule, coupled with the fact the national syllabus won't be ready till the middle of 2010, it is clear it won't be implemented in 2011.

Some have suggested this farce has gone on long enough and have said a new syllabus from the BOS or ACARA will never be implemented.

All we are getting is constant vagueness, contradictions and delays.

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
Wow that is an awesome proof! :) I had always thought that it can only be done through double integrals...

HSC
N/A
And of course there is nothing new in ACARA's <a href="http://www.acara.edu.au/verve/_resources/ACARA_Senior_Secondary_Years_Curriculum_Position_Paper_v06.pdf">Senior Secondary Years Curriculum Position Paper</a> released on August 20, 2009 (except for the call for submissions, due September 30).

Feel free however to publish any submissions you make.

I have heard that some people are making submissions and nevertheless don't want them published. If the National Curriculum is to be determined in part by such submissions we need them ALL to be published.

Last edited:
HSC
N/A
it's a shame it'll be gone.
chingyloke was referring to conics in another thread, but this comment can be generalised.

How about the detail?

In a national curriculum, detail will be gone.

ACARA are just a political bureaucracy. Their curriculum documents will be a vacuum full of empty platitudes. Teachers will take one look at them and throw them in the bin. They will never look at them again.

If teachers don't take curriculum documents seriously, what hope does a student have?

HSC
N/A
I have sent in <a href="http://users.tpg.com.au/nanahcub/submission5.pdf">my submission</a> for the <a href="http://www.acara.edu.au/verve/_resources/ACARA_Senior_Secondary_Years_Curriculum_Position_Paper_v06.pdf">National Curriculum in the Senior Secondary Years Position Paper</a> today.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)