Syllabus development (1 Viewer)

HSC
N/A
Meetings

• There was one on General Maths which I did not attend held at MANSW Head Office at 1:30pm – 4:30pm, May 24, 2008, Kent Road Public School Hall. Cnr Kent and Herring Roads Eastwood. As far as I know, nothing has been published from this meeting.
  • There was one today which I attended at the IEU Head Office at 4:30pm-5:30pm 176-182 Day St, Sydney. Several submissions are currently in circulation via email and will be made publicly available soon.
  • There is another one on the Calculus courses I intend to go to at MANSW Head Office at 1:30pm – 4:30pm, June 14, 2008, Kent Road Public School Hall. Cnr Kent and Herring Roads Eastwood.

Last edited:
HSC
N/A
me121 said:
How come they don't teach Linear Algebra?
I put that in my <a href="http://www4.tpgi.com.au/nanahcub/submission.pdf">first submission</a> for the review of the current syllabus. I since wrote a <a href="http://www.angelfire.com/ab7/fourunit/response-extract.pdf">second submission</a> for the writing briefs. For the draft syllabus, I'll post up my third submission soon.

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
me121 said:
How come they don't teach Linear Algebra?

Then again, they can't teach everything..
Speaking of Linear Algebra, they should teach how to use Gaussian Elimination to solve all kinds of simultaneous equations in the form of matrices but it will take a fair bit of time to teach though.

Speaking of which, I suggest implicit differentiation.

x2 + y2 = 1
d/dx(x2) + d/dx(y2) = d/dx(1)

2x + 2y.dy/dx = 0

dy/dx = - 2x / 2y

= - x / y

How did I get 2y.dy/dx ?
Let g(y) = y2, therefore the chain rule gives.
d/dx(y2) = dg/dx = dg/dy . dy/dx = 2y.dy/dx

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
buchanan said:
- If the formal proof of d/dx(sin x) = cos x isn't proved using first principles then I really wonder how it works.

- In fact Riemann sums could be an alternative to the Trapezoidal and Simpson's rule.

- The more formal treatments should be implemented, I never saw those terms before first-year mathematics in university as listed in PMA3.

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
In your submission, you seem to really dislike the Probability and Statistics topics...

I personally would welcome the introduction of more statistics and retention of probability. They could equip students better for uni, not just in mathematics but also in other science courses such as Physics, Chemistry, Biology, Psychology, Pharmacy, Medicine etc, as well as commerce fields such as Actuary, Accounting, Finance, Economics etc which is a common path that many students take after the HSC.

It's a shame that Conics has to go, but something has to be bumped out to make room for differential equations...

Just to add, I find it somewhat amusing that the English department wants a reduction in the standards for the HSC English courses because it is too difficult with too much jargon and too few people are getting in the top bands, yet it's quite the opposite in the Mathematics department lol...

Last edited:

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
Trebla said:
In your submission, you seem to really dislike the Probability and Statistics topics...

I personally would welcome the introduction of more statistics and retention of probability. They could equip students better for uni, not just in mathematics but also in other science courses such as Physics, Chemistry, Biology, Psychology, Pharmacy, Medicine etc, as well as commerce fields such as Actuary, Accounting, Finance, Economics etc which is a common path that many students take after the HSC.

It's a shame that Conics has to go, but something has to be bumped out to make room for differential equations...

Just to add, I find it somewhat amusing that the English department wants a reduction in the standards for the HSC English courses because it is too difficult with too much jargon and too few people are getting in the top bands, yet it's quite the opposite in the Mathematics department lol...
My head teacher told me that universities have been complaining because even though the mathematically brilliant students who did 2-Unit and above and well in the HSC, they have very little knowledge of statistics required in business subjects.
I guess statistics can be a change of pace after all this algebra and calculus I have to go through, but I don't like probability.

Conics is a slight hassle in university.
If Energy and momentum and the i, j and k notation was in the Ext. 2 syllabus and I knew I was going to do Engineering I would be more likely to attempt Ext. 2

tywebb

dangerman
HSC
N/A
bill pender was present at the ieu and mansw meetings and said that

- professional mathematics teachers will not allow amateurs at the board of studies tell them what to do in the classroom

- the draft syllabuses were very poorly written by amateurs

- we should not accept a new syllabus if it is not an improvement on the current one

me121

Premium Member
HSC
tywebb said:
bill pender was present at the ieu and mansw meetings and said that

- professional mathematics teachers will not allow amateurs at the board of studies tell them what to do in the classroom

- the draft syllabuses were very poorly written by amateurs

- we should not accept a new syllabus if it is not an improvement on the current one
why doesn't the board commission professional mathematics teachers to write the syllabus? and why do they always seem to dumb down syllabuses?

Affinity

HSC
collective myopia and politics drives any process.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)