syllabus dot pnt help plz (1 Viewer)

kim_

Hey i was wondering if any one could help me out with this syllabus dot point

process information from secondary sources to describe recent discoveries of elements

thanx any help would be appreciated

HSC

rnitya_25

Abhishek's Rani..
HSC
hsc.csu.edu.au:
The nineteen transuranic elements with the atomic numbers above 95 (Z between 96 and 116, leaving out undiscovered 113 and 115) require high-energy particle accelerators to be produced. Use an Internet search engine and recent references to find out how particle accelerators are used to discover new transuranic elements. To process the sources you find, assess their reliability by comparing the information provided. Look for consistency of information.

Abtari

HSC
rnitya_25 said:
hsc.csu.edu.au:
The nineteen transuranic elements with the atomic numbers above 95 (Z between 96 and 116, leaving out undiscovered 113 and 115) require high-energy particle accelerators to be produced. Use an Internet search engine and recent references to find out how particle accelerators are used to discover new transuranic elements. To process the sources you find, assess their reliability by comparing the information provided. Look for consistency of information.
i think the issue is describe recent discoveries of elements.. not how transuranic elements are made lol

im confused over this dotpoint too...couldnt find any info

currysauce

Actuary in the making
HSC
well i am using neptunium and americium

the 1940-1950's are recent enough for me

Pace_T

HSC
I've done element 110 and 111. Formerly known as ununnulium and ununnunium (spelling? LOL!)
I got all the information I needed from www.webelements.com (I think that's the link, or you can google it)

Abtari

HSC
as long as you describe when they were discovered, where and how, i think it doesn't matter which elements you choose. i would be cautious about 'recent' though. don't know how recent they want the elements to be... (could be within the last decade, or even last century... :confused: )

kim_

hey thanx guys that does help, coz lyk der so much things n u doont know what to put in and what to take out

Mannie

HSC
menty said:
Unonoctium-238 was discovered in 1999 in UC Berkeky in a particle accelerator by the bombardment of Kr-86 and Pb-208.
Wasn't this claim withdrawn after subsequent trials failed to produce results.

MrMe

Your Bestest Best Friend
HSC
i don't know which one but one of them ended up being a hoax

sushiii

HSC
currysauce said:
well i am using neptunium and americium

the 1940-1950's are recent enough for me
i couldnt find anything on americium could u help???

i hav the use of it in the industry; used to measure density and thickness, smoke detectors

but i cant find any benefits or problems of its use (connected with its properties) help plz?

unless u used it as a radio isotope in medical industry

Last edited:

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
benefit of AM241: it's an alpha emitter... so even a trace of smoke particulate will block the radiation and trigger the alarm

problem: all radiation has the potential to hurt.

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
xiao1985 said:
benefit of AM241: it's an alpha emitter... so even a trace of smoke particulate will block the radiation and trigger the alarm

problem: all radiation has the potential to hurt.
If you chucked a smoke alarm in space it'll go off regardless.

There's an ionization chamber in a smoke alarm.
Incoming gas molecules in the air are ionized at a constant rate by the alpha emitter Americium-241, and since those ionized molecules now contain a charge they can conduct electricity within the electric field of the ionizing chamber.

If this rate of ionization falls, noted by less charge carriers within the electric field then an alarm will be trigggered.

And yes radiation has the potential to hurt :eek: ... even at low energies ...

sushiii

HSC
heyy yerr thanks both of youu

that is useful info

lol i cant beleive i forgot that its harmful such an obovious problem lol

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)