Syllabus Dot Points~ (1 Viewer)

Finx

HSC
Incoming major idiot query.

If I were to study and remember all dotpoint answers for my science subjects, would it mean I'd do extremely well in the exams?

Currently, it seems that all I need to do is browse a couple of resources to answer each point in the syllabus (I'm mainly referring to chemistry here). It all seems kind of easy..

Anyway, discuss.

LordPc

HSC

If I were to study and remember all dotpoint answers for my science subjects, would it mean I'd do extremely well in the exams?

Currently, it seems that all I need to do is browse a couple of resources to answer each point in the syllabus (I'm mainly referring to chemistry here). It all seems kind of easy..

Anyway, discuss.
If you understand what you are doing with each dot point, then yes, you will do extremely well because the exams will likely give you unfamiliar approaches to the dot points. But if you understand each dot point, then you should easily be able to apply your knowledge to a slightly different situation quite easily

the hard part is that doing all the dot points can be tough. Not at the start, because it is quite easy, but when you get to the later topics like Acidic Environment and Chem Monitoring then you get quite a few dot points which are on the far right of the syllabus which means harder questions and more research to complete

So if your doing dot points then keep it up, your doing quite well and probably a lot more work than just about everyone in you class

Lordsion

HSC
Yeah, i still cant believe i got 90 for chem , like OMG my class was such a dud and we had the worse teacher but i did very good summaries, even still i was always crap on calculations etc .... like in the HSC i left all calcualtions with stupid wrong answers or blank cause i had no idea. But yeah, 90 is good, and i was number two in class and i beat the number one ranker by 5 HSC marks !!!!! so i must have floked his ass.

lol anyways ...

dp624

HSC

Anyway, discuss.
sounds about right
but you need to know when and where to apply them too

flowergrl

HSC
yes. memorise the long response ones (i.e. the 3+ marks ones) and you'll get 95+.

dp624

HSC
yes. memorise the long response ones (i.e. the 3+ marks ones) and you'll get 95+.
er, no way - maybe 90s, but not 95s for sure.
there's a lot of stuff you need to know other than just the raw material - how to apply it, what's neccesary, etc

Finx

HSC
So if your doing dot points then keep it up, your doing quite well and probably a lot more work than just about everyone in your class
I doubt it, I go to a selective school. Completing and making dot point summaries are pretty much compulsory =P

dp624 said:
you need to know when and where to apply them too
How should I practice this?

LordPc

HSC
I doubt it, I go to a selective school. Completing and making dot point summaries are pretty much compulsory =P

How should I practice this?
Well if you go to selective school then, as you said, should be doing these dot points regardless

You practice it by getting a few textbooks and doing the questions in each. they will be different and usually they will have a few quite abstract questions that will require you to think.

esstown

HSC
well as long as you don't 'rote learn' (at least for science subjects) and understand the dot points thoroughly then you should technically do well. They will always try and ask questions differently to make sure you aren't 'rote learning' :)

KarenCn

HSC
yeah theres a difference between rote learnign and true understanding

icecoffee

HSC
My notes were all orientated around the dot points and very useful as a 'check list'. Be warned though, it's a bitch learning the huge amount of theory that will pile up! Some dot points are simple but others require a whole heap of theory/calculations/formulas.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)