Sylvia Plath - Ariel (After the Bomb) (1 Viewer)

Nightsarah

HSC
I'm starting Plath's poetry next term. Has anyone studied her yet? How did you find it? Any good resources you'd like to share? Any help would be appreciated!
According to my teacher, highschools that teach Sylvia Plath have higher suicide rates. Uh-oh.

jet

Banned
HSC
Well, we haven't had a suicide yet. We have had a rampage though.......lol.

Plath was good - very intense.
Get the youtube videos of her reading some of the poems. Very helpful and insightful.

It's not that hard for her. Very clear link to the topic. The hardest poem would either be words or fever 103 as they are more metaphorical towards the topic. Poetry is easier for the anxiety part of the topic i guess. Paradigms aren;t as evident in plath's as much as other texts.

gekoh

HSC
Plath was really difficult for me. I loved it, but it didnt quite love me back. Seeing yourself on the pages for Lady Laz and Fever 103 wasn't the.... most pleasant experience. If you are affected, distance yourself. My teacher offered to change the texts for me but i did my best to get through. Just... distance yourself.

s-t-l

HSC
Sylvia Plath is very very good, but at times she is a little self-obsessed: "I am a pure acetylene virgin".. and I know that's just a result of her sickness.
I haven't really understood 'Words' as much as the others, but there is just so much to work with for this topic..
So enjoy it and yes i definitely recommend watching her reading it on youtube - you kind of get an idea of the voice and personality she represents, also you can see the sarcastic tone and whenever you read the poem again, that's all you can think of..

s-t-l

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)