syssition vs syssitia (1 Viewer)

DepressedPenguino

HSC
I know syssition is the word for a spartan mess club but is syssitia the plural of syssition or does it mean the common meals that spartiates eat within their syssition?

I am a bit confused now

HSC
they're the same thing
syssition- singular; syssitia- plural
depends on the context/ sentence you are putting it in
e.g: each Spartan attended a syssition vs sysstia were compulsory for Spartan citizenship

DepressedPenguino

HSC
Lol I just found out that syssitia refers to the communal meals that spartiates eat in their messes aka. Syssitia LOL..

DepressedPenguino

HSC
Um wait you used the same word
its singular and plural form
(from hsc online)
I know for sure that: syssition (singular)= a mess club.

What I just found out:

The word 'syssitia' is a plural of syssition. So, "multiple syssitia (aka. Multiple mess clubs)

However, according to antiquity 3 textbooks and 2 other documents that received from my teacher, the word syssitia also refers to the communal meals that spartiates share within the syssition that they belong to.

That is why I'm confused lol.

superberlicious

HSC
I know for sure that: syssition (singular)= a mess club.

What I just found out:

The word 'syssitia' is a plural of syssition. So, "multiple syssitia (aka. Multiple mess clubs)

However, according to antiquity 3 textbooks and 2 other documents that received from my teacher, the word syssitia also refers to the communal meals that spartiates share within the syssition that they belong to.

That is why I'm confused lol.
Syssitia was the communal meals of around 15 spartans, and it is acceptable to use either terms. e.g. spartan men each had to make a contribution to the syssitia monthly.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)