Tafe or Uni

• Tafe

Votes: 11 32.4%
  • Uni

Votes: 23 67.6%

• Total voters

Serg01

Hello fellow art students....

I am in a dilema... I have enrolled in Uni cources concerning art subjets... However I would prefer to go to a TAFE or an Institute.

Which one do you think is better??? My dream is to go to KvB however financially cannot support it... so I would want to go to Design Centre in Enmore...

I dont no, I fell that Tafe has a certan allure to it... also it seems more human... any opinions??

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
KvB usually give 50% off scholarships.. it's a bit of a dirty marketing trick, ask them about it.

If you wanna do art and do alot of practical work.. then i'd take a tafe/institute course if you wanna get a job university will teach you all the skills and more... my uncle who went to Kvb is a lead designer for a graphics company in sydney, he reckons the uni people usually seem to have a greater depth of knowledge/skills...

I got into billy blue (www.billyblue.com.au) however i think i'd rather go to COFA or something if i get the right uai :)

Serg01

OMG!!! Why was I just informed about BillyBlue now!!!. THank place looks soo cool.. damn.. I want to apply... hang on I WILL!!
is it good?

saladsurgery

kicking the cack
HSC
from what i've heard, billy blue is quite expensive. but ask about scholoarships etc, cos i'm sure there are a few of them.

tafe graphic design courses are apparently very hands on, very practical, without such a heavy theory side. there's a big focus on portfolio development and working on "real-world" type projects. personally i love theory too, which is why i think a university design course was better for me. but yes, tafe does have more of a human, down to earth feel to it. and i wouldn't worry about things like employability etc.

in fact, a lot of university design graduates do a short tafe course after they finish their degrees, to get a bit more practical/"real-world" grounding.

johnson

a lack of colour
HSC
yeah, what SS said.

i think the main difference is that TAFE is generally a more spoon-fed teaching style, whereas at university you are forced to do a lot of your own learning and research. from what i gather tafe teaches you specific skills and helps you develop them, but at university you have to develop your own skills in your own time

Serg01

When is the closing date to apply for Billy Blue?? I have ordered their applicaiton packed and looked on thier site, but it doesnt have a closing application date?? any rerason?

msh

HSC
tafe diplomas are BELOW uni degrees.
tafe teaches you the practical
uni teaches the practical and the theory.
after all we aren't technicians but a thinker.. so.. choose uni.

poppop

HSC
N/A
uni of course :)
tafe/private schools only teaches you the practical, uni teaches both the theory and the practical. obviously making it a better choice for those who can achieve the high marks :)

HSC
N/A
Errr correction-

You do learn Art History/Theory in TAFE Fine Arts courses. It's not ALL practical, but yes, there is a bigger emphasis on practical. But from uni to uni they also place more or less emphasis aswell.

poppop

HSC
N/A
i still would choose uni instead of tafe, as with the majority according to this poll..
as a bachelor's degree is a higher qualification than a tafe certificate/diplomas, in the same nature that a master's degree is a higher qualification then a bachelor's degree :)

ahen

Sexy Member
HSC
why did this thread suddenly get revived 3 years after that person's dilemma is over? i wonder what happened to them...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)