Taking Notes in Uni (1 Viewer)

lpodnano

5eva alone
HSC
- Laptops/Macs/Netbooks or writing on paper/books/notebooks?

passionxmusic

HSC
N/A
Write on lecture notes.
Agreed! Write extra notes to the dot points already given on your lecture notes (you should always print them out) ~ its way easier to transfer everything onto a document as part of your study notes in the end. =P

AussieVesti

Retired Account
HSC
From what I've seen over the past two years, paper is the preferred choice. This is of course depending on what units you choose to do in uni. If you do very "wordy" units, laptops may suffice but of course that is provided you can concentrates. If you do based around science, engineering and maths, it may be difficult to compose notes using a keyboard and mouse compared to a pen and paper.

This isn't really an issue to consider prior to going to university. You'll have plenty of time you decide which you think is best.

passionxmusic

HSC
N/A
Entirely up to you. You're the one referring back to it at the end of the day when studying for the finals. If you think its easier to combine study notes on the laptop then go ahead but if paper is the way (which is actually better because you remember what you write as it sinks in and all that jazz your lecturers will tell you on O-Day) then go ahead. But you should attempt to print out lecture/tutorial notes and make notes from them because some lecturers speed through.

AussieVesti

Retired Account
HSC
I think I've told this story on BoS before but it can't hurt to tell it again.

During my Integral Calculus & Modelling lectures last year, there were these two guys who brought along their laptop and played Mario Kart 64 with an emulator every Friday. They even mapped wireless PS3 controllers to use while playing. Needless to say, I didn't learn very much on those Fridays as my eyes kept diverting away from the lecturer to see how they were progressing. Of course this wasn't just me being distracted - a brief glance around the room proved where the real attention was being focused upon.

Thanks guys! :haha:

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
Bringing a laptop to a lecture is really bad, I brought it in once and all I did was play Tekken and Street Fighter with my mate and had no clue about what the lecture was about.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Bringing a laptop to a lecture is really bad, I brought it in once and all I did was play Tekken and Street Fighter with my mate and had no clue about what the lecture was about.
I did the same once and Lolsmith and I just browsed BoS for the 50 minutes... =(

passionxmusic

HSC
N/A
Played Amnesia in the lecture plus trolled a few classmates... good times as for what happened in the lecture... I think they were talking about the different managerial theories. So yeah laptop isn't the best option for people who get distracted very easily.

Isho

Banned
HSC
N/A
Played Amnesia in the lecture plus trolled a few classmates... good times as for what happened in the lecture... I think they were talking about the different managerial theories. So yeah laptop isn't the best option for people who get distracted very easily.
Let's not speak of that horrible day lol.

passionxmusic

HSC
N/A
Let's not speak of that horrible day lol.
More like let us not forget how we trolled Ruby during an Economics lecture. LOLOL the guy behind her got so scared. Pfft don't worry our Amnesia days are forgotten... sort of.

muhahahahahaha

HSC
- Laptops/Macs/Netbooks or writing on paper/books/notebooks?
personally, i think its best to use pen and paper for note taking...a lot of the people at my uni that take a laptop with them into the lecture theatre just go on facebook for the whole two hours :/

passionxmusic

HSC
N/A
personally, i think its best to use pen and paper for note taking...a lot of the people at my uni that take a laptop with them into the lecture theatre just go on facebook for the whole two hours :/
Most of the time we take advantage of the situation and try to download as much as we can or use youtube and ocassionally we look up at the slides now and then.

kfnmpah

HSC
Easy as pie.Print off lecture slides so there are 2 to a page.Bring lecture slides, pen and highlighter to lecture.Write extra info on lecture slides with pen and highlight important shit with highlighter.???Profit.

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
Easy as pie.Print off lecture slides so there are 2 to a page.Bring lecture slides, pen and highlighter to lecture.Write extra info on lecture slides with pen and highlight important shit with highlighter.???Profit.
People go to the lectures...?

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
I print three to a page with the lines on the side - double sided. Always double sided!

Mature Lamb

wats goin on
HSC
Uni Grad
Just bought a stylus for my iPad. I'll be trialing that for a few weeks at the beginning of the semester.

Mature Lamb

wats goin on
HSC
Uni Grad
Using a stylus. I've tested so far on some of my old lecture notes, it's actually great.

dest

HSC
Don't go to uni brah - go work in a mine for a year and come back with 150k

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)