'Talent and drive, but no money? Forget uni' (The Age) (1 Viewer)

X

xeuyrawp

wikiwiki said:
i'm going into academia, dick.

all i mean was if the benefits are greater than the costs.

i meant people doing an arts degree then deciding they love building.
There's really no argument for not having a try for uni if the person isn't sure. A person could easily get a taste for uni and drop out before census date.

Who gives a shit if someone does an arts degree then decides they love building... Seriously.

flamearrows

come on die young
HSC
wikiwiki said:
Well i'm going to be frank: My parents are paying for my degree and cover all of my living expenses ( I stay at home). I don't need to work thanks to their generosity.

[...]

We need to reform our educational culture as well as the system and we need to look at America.
Amazing that someone who is getting everything paid for them is of such an opinon. America's system is geared towards those who achieve so brilliantly that they can achieve a scholarship, and those who can afford it. I'm probably not the former, and I'm certainly not the latter. I'll take HECS, but being able to live is something else entirely. To live in sydney costs somewhere around $13k minimum. Does my father put his hand in his pocket and pull out $13k? Yeah, I can work, but the level of work required to generate that sort of money makes university and academic achievement almost impossible.

As for government grants, have you heard of the working poor? Think failing the asset/means test just barely, therefore missing out and yet still not being able to afford it.

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
playboy2njoy said:
Those people, HAVE all the opportunities. Lets get a few things straight however. The government isnt going to fund creation of University in the middle of nowhere just so a few people can study. If being an academic is what they want to do, moving to the city centre is a viable option. There are a number of allowances that can be obtained from centrelink, and nevertheless, many universities offer distance education, so its not that much of a biggie.

This has been the first year that I have applied myself to my studies. I wont be obtaining austudy next year, rather, ILL BE WORKING while I complete my degree. It seems like a novel concept to those of you who think that the government 'has' to provide all. You have enough. If you dont like the low-level of opportunities in your rural town, thats what you have a major/representative for.

Im not going to specifically single out anyone, but if you have shown excellence in your studies, the government WILL do all it can to help you relocate here. This is a pointless topic, most of your are simply humanities university students, always protesting about something or other. Lets get a few things straight. In South America, NO student is lent monies for his University Degree. So how do they consistantly produce the worlds leading engineers and lawyers? By showing their students that HARD WORK is the way to go. The government doesnt offer any concessions for study, like Australia does. If you dont like study, then you get off your ass and work. Its simple. And the reason why Argentina has a ratio of 3:7 bull-collar to white-collar workers respectively is because it instills a psyche of hard work into students at a young age.

All of the persons who are complaining have a luxury that many university students in South America do not have. The Internet. How would you live without the internet? How would you study? WE have it ALOT easier than anyone else. I'm undecided on who I will vote for next year, in my opinion, Labor and Liberal are both shit. They will always do something to piss people off. But considering our position in the world, and the opportunities presented to us, we are not lagging behind in anything.
Sorry but this doesn't make much sense.

First of all, the comparison with South America... South America is a continent for starters, is what you are saying true across all countries of South America, I'm just curious. Also, most parts of South America are not very developed countries. Australia needs an educated population in order to be globally competitive amongst first world nations. Comparing Australia to South America is like saying people in Australia have it better than people in Uganda. It's not really a valid comparison. Our universities are being sucked dry of funding by the government, it may not be too long before we are lagging behind.

Also I don't think Australia is really lacking in the hard work ethos... don't we have the longest working hours a week in the world on average?

Also, there is university education available for a lot cheaper prices for nationals than Australia overseas, like in Germany and other European nations. So we don't have it ALOT easier than "anyone" else. There are other systems out there.

I haven't seen many people here protesting about HECS, most people seem to be able to live with that... I can't see I'm keen about it being increased because it does create a mental class barrier for university study. But I think maybe there should be more clear information about what HECS is about for people earlier in the schooling so they don't disregard uni as an option simply because they think it is too expensive without understanding the system.

Now I don't know if you read my last post, but Centrelink does not really work effectively. I have said this a billion times on this board, because people don't understand what it takes to qualify. If you are not independent from your parents (i.e. haven't earnt more than $18000 in 18 months) your parent's assets can be taken in to account and can exclude you from recieving the payment. For example, your parents may have a low income, but may have assets such as a farm or small business which would mean you can't get the allowance even if they don't have much of an income to afford to help you get to uni. Also, people say defer for a year and work, but as I have previously explained but nobody has appeared to read, it is extremely difficult to find employment in regional areas. Hence if you are from a rural/regional area, its extremely hard to find enough work to become "independent" for youth allowance purposes. Also, it is difficult for people who have to move to attend a regional uni because they can't find part time work while they are studying- especially in uni towns where there is a huge student population and not many student jobs.

Also on the whinge to the mayor of your rural town thing, mayors and govt reps can't pull jobs out of nowhere, that doesn't really make any sense either.

Also, if you want to hear about some of the other shortcomings of student income support, go and read the findings of the senate inquiry in to the issue earlier this year which was initiated by the democrats. There are submissions from heaps of groups highlighting the problems- not just from the student associations, but from a wide range of community groups. For example, I don't know if many people have heard this but the amount of money you are allowed to earn on youth allowance without losing any of the payment has not increased since 1992... even though the GST was introduced and raised everything by 10%. Also, people who recieve the dole recieve more money than students, and their payments are indexed differently so they raise by more than youth allowance/austudy each year. Also people on Austudy don't recieve any rent assistance.

You capitalize the part about you working as if the people who are on the opposing side of this argument are bums who bludge off the government or something, and this is not true. Most uni students do work part time or more than part time to pay for their study. I worked 45 hours a week for a two month period earlier this year, last year I worked 36 hours a week for three months and I usually work 15-25 hours a week, so I know what working is, it is not a "novel" concept to me. I think that many people on the opposing side of this argument just don't see the huge costs students face when they have to move away to study. I am fully self supporting and have been since I moved away to uni, so I know what the costs are because I paid them out of my own pocket. But I was fortunate to have a supportive family behind me that would bail me out if things ever went to shit financially. My family also own a business, so I was guaranteed work as soon as I finished the HSC to save. I also came to the city with a decent set of job skills which has made finding work as easy as pie. Not everybody has these opportunities. I also think there are many people on here who would have no idea what being really poor is (not that I have experience of it either, but I can empathize with people, I have seen it). The costs compound even more when more than one child wants to go away to study.

Also, "most of us are simply humanities students"..... I was dux of my school and had to get 96.5 to get in to my "simple" humanities course... a higher mark than it takes to get in to most engineering or science courses. So don't hold my degree against me, because it won't work. And also, I don't know what government you are talking about but I know a lot of people that did well in their studies and the government didn't provide any help in relocating people.

You need to understand how the system works before you can pass judgment on it. You don't seem to have much of a clue about what the government does and does not provide.

erawamai

Retired. Gone fishing.
HSC
wikiwiki said:
i'm going into academia, dick.
...and you know this already after not even completing a full year of uni?

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
braindrainedAsh said:
If nobody was rural, then Australia's economy would suffer. I get so sick of hearing city people slag off at country people... fuck, a major part of our economy relies on agricultural exports... people live there for a reason, but they don't recieve decent services.
Totally irrelevant.

has anyone read any of the latham diaries?
This in itself speaks volumes, but I won't go there :rolleyes:

The funny thing is you say that living in a rural area is a person's family's fault. Yet you are condeming the individual to that life, and hence it is not a choice.
Yes, it is no one else's fault except the parents/family. NOT the governments....you are basically saying that the government has a responsiblilty to 'rescue' every rural child.

Also as anyone who has tried to qualify for it knows, it is an extremely arduous process and so many things can make you ineligible... not to personally attack anyone on here, but since finishing school there has not been a single week where I would have only worked 10 hours. I have no problem working 20 hours while at uni... 25 hours.... 30 hours.... but when it gets to 45, that is when it starts to suck.
Im sure you'll be suprised (and perhaps pissed) that Ms 12 indeed qualifies for youth allowance as an independant...I earnt $27 000 in my first 18 months out of school. I attended uni fulltime and worked 42 hours per week for about a year. Not anywhere special, in the same retail job I currently have. However, I am better off working my 10 hours per week than recieving youth allowance. And I am of the strong belief that I should leave to money for the people who genuinely need it.

And I'm sorry, but maybe we should have to state whether or not we live at home or had to move to study, how much we bludge off our parents for our education because I am pretty sure that a clear pattern would begin to emerge with the opinions here.
Firstly, I resent the word 'bludge', people should not be labelled lazy just because they were fortunate to be born into a family that is hard-working and can live comfortably. I think I can pretty much say that my dad earns more than more most people's parents here (he was a BRW-er last year), but he is not paying anything toward my education--dad was brought up in a time where hard work was valued above everything, and NOTHING was handed to them. He is a big believer that we have to pave our own paths and work for ourselves. The only thing my dad provides me with is a home, and I acknowledge that many people my age are paying significant rent to live in Sydney, in that way I am lucky. HOWEVER, I pay for everything else (usually even food as well), all on my so-called 'bludgy' 10 hours per week.

It seems like a lot of people on here have formed very judgemental opinions without much understanding of the different situations.
I KNOW what hard work is, and it never hurt anyone. For the third time, welcome to the real world, watch your step.

EDIT:

Also, "most of us are simply humanities students"..... I was dux of my school and had to get 96.5 to get in to my "simple" humanities course... a higher mark than it takes to get in to most engineering or science courses. So don't hold my degree against me, because it won't work.
Just while Im picking your argument apart.....you should know by now that UAI is not an indicator of the intensity of a course, but of the amount of places available and its popularity. Surely you can't go saying that a humanities degree is more demanding or harder than an engineering degree or science degree :rolleyes:

Last edited:

erawamai

Retired. Gone fishing.
HSC
Ms 12 said:
Firstly, I resent the word 'bludge', people should not be labelled lazy just because they were fortunate to be born into a family that is hard-working and can live comfortably.
Everything else in your post is fine ms 12 but you shouldn't assume that hardworking means financially comfortable. Many people work long hours in physically intensive and menial jobs and are not financially comfortable.

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
erawamai said:
Everything else in your post is fine ms 12 but you shouldn't assume that hardworking means financially comfortable. Many people work long hours in physically intensive and menial jobs and are not financially comfortable.
Not really what I meant, but I concur. Hard work is not always commensurate with remuneration, but just as people who aren't so financially stable don't like to be labelled bludgers, people who are very financially well off don't like people to assume that the money was just handed to them, or that they came from money to begin with.

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
Hey I just want to apologize about the misuse of the word "bludge", Ms 12, because I didn't think about the implication, it was a throwaway word... I understand people who are well off usually have to work pretty damn hard for that too, and I didn't mean to imply that wasn't the case. And I also respect that you choose not to take y.a. because you feel you don't need it. I'm not getting it for a while now because, well, I have financial goals, so I am just working a lot again.

Also some of these posts have been rather emotionally charged due to some circumstances with a friend I have been very worried about due to the emotional toll of youth unemployment... not to mention that equitable access to education is something that I really feel strongly about. In terms of education, my public schooling got me where I want to be today, but even at my old school through my brother I can see that some of the standards are starting to decline due to old staff retiring and largely incapable teachers, or teachers who are not trained in the subject they are teaching, taking over. I just think education is really important, and access to it shouldn't be determined by socio economic status. The current situation in Australia isn't too horrible, it definately has it's flaws, but the main problem I see is the path that it is heading down. If the coalition government stays in for much longer I have big concerns about the future for university and public education because of the government's agenda in these areas. And reading the latham diaries (and before you insert your eye rolls again, I am well aware it is far from an authoratative text, we do learn how to deconstruct texts comprehensively in humanities courses) makes me concerned that federal labor doesn't have a chance in hell in being elected in to power for some time. Hence my strong concerns.

I never said the government had to rescue every rural kid. But I don't think people's opportunities to be involved in higher education should be decided by their postcode. Education can help break poverty cycles in both city/suburban/rural populations, so I think by making the system less financially accessible we are really doing a disservice to society.

And yes, I know UAI is not an indicator of course difficulty, but I get really sick of people disregarding humanities students as actually having thinking, working brains.

E.g. comments by playboy such as "people like you base your opinions on what you read in the news"... "The problem I see with "humanities" students is that all the eye-opening you guys do turns you all into idealists and radicals. In survive in this world, you need to be a realist" are all based simply on what I study rather than what I am trying to say.

I would consider myself to be moderate left, and not a radical in any sense of the word. Maybe I seem "radical" in comparison to the staunch conservatism that is rampant in contemporary Australia, but in terms of economic theory I am not one of those "down with capitalism" people, heck, my parents are in business that is how we survived. But there are some things that I believe should be the responsibility of the state, and I think accessible quality education is one of those things. It's no more radical really than people who support the war on Iraq supporting the government spending money on the military.

But the one perception that I think is wrong is this idea that work is free and plentiful etc. Youth unemployment, particularly in the outer burbs and regional and rural areas is high. I have posted about this previously but nobody has really addressed it. And trust me, going out and asking shopkeepers doesn't work if they have no jobs to offer, or there isn't much money in the town, friends have done it week after week after week sometimes and not had luck for many months. For someone looking for an entry level position, and this is including casual to full time, you would be lucky to see one or two come up a week in Albury, and there would be many people looking for those sorts of jobs, especially the students in town. I mean, anyone can find themselves hard on their luck, we almost lost our family business a couple of times because of downturns in the local economy, big food franchises coming to town who we couldn't possibly compete with on price etc. We were lucky a couple of times that things turned around just before we lost it all. I'm not saying I have it hard now, despite people implying that I am... I am quite fine with working to pay for uni etc because I like my independence. I am not saying I am poor, and as I have said I have a family who would back me up no matter what, but I can empathize with those that really are doing it very tough. But if we had lost our business I would hate to think about how hard this would be right now financially. Some people don't have any family support (either emotional or financial) and that makes it tough. They may be having trouble finding work, they may be down on their luck... maybe they worked hard all their life to save up money and then something major happened and they lost it (we know a family that lost their business and had to declare bankruptcy, it was heartbreaking. They lost every single thing they had worked their whole life for, and they had worked damn hard).

Shit happens and sometimes life sucks. But I think the "life sucks" excuse as for why people with talent and drive can't afford to go to uni is not a good enough excuse.

Of all the things our tax money gets spent on surely health and education are extremely important.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)