Talented students program 2005 (1 Viewer)

KeypadSDM

B4nn3d
HSC
TSP is boring, I hated it.

That being said, I've still got 1/2 of my science major out of the way in first year with an average of 84.5

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
xiao1985 said:
@saul: i thought u needed a HD average??? o_O
btw, plz dun insult the first bsci stuff ='( if that was true, then i was doin full crab for the past yr...

which is untrue aprt from stat + acct >=)
i knwo i nkow...

but yeh... i heard u dont' even have to do any thign if u dont' watn to ... but then, u'd just be wastin away the precious space which could be provided to ther pplz =S
You need a HD average to get in.

If you are in you only need an 80 average to stay in.

Templar

P vs NP
HSC
Let's see

Keypad:"TSP is boring, I hated it."

Keypad:"Advanced engineering is boring"

Keypad's a hard person to keep interested.

lucyinthehole

acmilan said:
Haha yeh i decided to contact them for specifics. In general:

Entry to the Talented Student Program is by invitation from the
Dean. Invitations to participate in the TSP are made each year for
that year. The following guidelines apply generally, although
Departments may have additional (and more stringent)
requirements for entry to the activities they offer in the program:
• to be considered for the program in their first year, students
should normally have a UAI (or equivalent) of 98.8 or higher
and a result in band 6 in at least one HSC science subject area
and/or a mark of 95 or better in HSC Mathematics Extension
2. The Dean may consider slight variations to these
requirements where a student has demonstrated exceptional
performance in scientific study (eg, at the level of
membership of a team which represents Australia in an
International Science or Mathematics Olympiad).
• to be considered for the program in their second and third
years, students should normally have WAMs 85 or over and a
high distinction grade in an appropriate Science subject area.
Intermediate level entry to TSP is available only to students
who have been enrolled full-time in units of study totaling at
least 48 credit points.
Students who feel that they satisfy these criteria, but who not
received an invitation to participate in the TSP that year, should
contact the Dean.

hey, thanks for actually bothering to get the info, i was wondering about that myself. well, missed out on first year entry then, but that's good anyway. i have no idea what area of science i wanna go into anyway, so planning my own program would be hell. i think i'll try for 2nd year though.

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
For anyone that has been offered in previous year: Do you get notified that you are eligible before you get offered the course or when the enrolment pack comes?

Super Pig

Full time Bludger
HSC
acmilan said:
For anyone that has been offered in previous year: Do you get notified that you are eligible before you get offered the course or when the enrolment pack comes?
I think you'll get an invitation letter separate from everything else after you get your normal course offer. On that letter you get to put down three subject preferences, and they will assign you a mentor in one of those areas. And you work from there. There is a TSP briefing session at the begining of the year.

It is cool to be in the TSP, which attracts >100 top students each year (How many ppl in the whole state get a UAI of 98.8+, just over 1000?). Even if you don't do anything at all during the whole year, you'll get a line saying "invited to participate in the TSP" in your official academic record. It is there to cater for ppl who want to take advantage of it. No obligation at all (although most ppl put a hell lot of effort in once they decide to do something).

Each subject area has its own TSP structure. Furthermore, you can design your own project as long as you can find a lecturer to supervise you. There are several threads on this last year, and I am sure there are ppl on this forum who has done or is doing TSP stuff. Depending on what you do, it can be great fun and rewarding (e.g. you get to do stuff that you wouldn't be able to do until 3rd/4th year or even beyond).

thaoroxy2001

Bored member
HSC
WFT? everyone is confusing me....what is the cut-off for 2005?....I called the science faculty office she said 98.8 for sure, yet in the 2005 booklet it said 99.....and other ppl are posting saying that they checked and it's 99 and 98.8....WHA!!

Super Pig

Full time Bludger
HSC
thaoroxy2001 said:
WFT? everyone is confusing me....what is the cut-off for 2005?....I called the science faculty office she said 98.8 for sure, yet in the 2005 booklet it said 99.....and other ppl are posting saying that they checked and it's 99 and 98.8....WHA!!
It doesn't matter too much I suppose. 99 could well be a round-off of 98.8. If you don't get an invitation, go and speak to the faculty office ppl and they'll probably add your name in. Individual subjects may have alternative entry criteria as well. For example in Physics, I remember that they admit ppl with UAI 98+ and Physics 94+ or something like that. So don't worry, just go and show your initiative.

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
yeh think so.... u need to be enrollin in a b sci or a b medsci (not too sure, check with department) to be eligible to be considered for tsp...

Super Pig

Full time Bludger
HSC
It's for top students enrolled in any degree under the faculty of science, including all combined/double degrees.

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
If you're enrolled in another faculty but doing subjects in science faculty you could ask for permission to do the TSP according to what I read

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)