Talented Students Program?? (1 Viewer)

romanticismstudent

HSC
I've gotten emails regarding the TSP at USYD, however I am wondering how applicable it is to studying the Psychology arts stream, considering the nature of the program as seeming very scientifically rigorous (I couldn't attend the info day luncheon to find out). It seems like hardcore experiments which doesn't entirely fit with arts Psychology. Any ideas?

HSC
Congrats on your awesome results and entrance into TSP. I'm a current TSP student, so hopefully my experience will be helpful. TSP is mainly a way for undergrad students to get into research, but it isn't necessarily scientifically rigorous. It's extremely flexible and really revolves around what sort of topics you want to have fun with. e.g. Last year I did research in Physiology, but my major is in Computer Science. Don't think hardcore library research or even lab based experiments with chemicals or whatnot. It could be you simply developing an idea or learning more about something.

You should get an invite to the TSP Showcase which runs in Semester 1. It's a group work research project which will really give you a better idea of what TSP is about. There's a range of topics. Last year, there was a Psychology group which looked at 3D perception. I'd encourage you to do this if you can.

Another huge advantage of the TSP is it lets you be more flexible with your degree. I know some B Psych students who were allowed to take third year psych units in second year (along with second year units).

afaik, there's no difference between the arts and science streams for psychology units, just what other units you'd be taking alongside. TSP will give you the research experience/ edge if you want to pursue Honours or are interested in clinical psychology.

romanticismstudent

HSC
Congrats on your awesome results and entrance into TSP. I'm a current TSP student, so hopefully my experience will be helpful. TSP is mainly a way for undergrad students to get into research, but it isn't necessarily scientifically rigorous. It's extremely flexible and really revolves around what sort of topics you want to have fun with. e.g. Last year I did research in Physiology, but my major is in Computer Science. Don't think hardcore library research or even lab based experiments with chemicals or whatnot. It could be you simply developing an idea or learning more about something.

You should get an invite to the TSP Showcase which runs in Semester 1. It's a group work research project which will really give you a better idea of what TSP is about. There's a range of topics. Last year, there was a Psychology group which looked at 3D perception. I'd encourage you to do this if you can.

Another huge advantage of the TSP is it lets you be more flexible with your degree. I know some B Psych students who were allowed to take third year psych units in second year (along with second year units).

afaik, there's no difference between the arts and science streams for psychology units, just what other units you'd be taking alongside. TSP will give you the research experience/ edge if you want to pursue Honours or are interested in clinical psychology.
Thank you so much for your opinion, I'll definitely look into it! Would you be able to tell me when you are able to sign up or enrol for it? I'm not quite sure what the process is.

Rythen

HSC
Hi Romanticstudent,

This question is right up my alley. :) I'm a current B Psych student who has done TSP units in first and second year. And if I am correct, I was one of the students that was involved in the 3D project last year that falseenthusiasm mentioned. Falseenthusiasm is absolutely correct about the flexibility of taking 3rd year courses in 2nd year (I took 3rd year advanced stats this year, so I am 100% sure of that). However, I am in the science stream.

You will get an invitation as long as you have made the requirements (which I am sure you have, if they sent you any information). Even if you do not, as long as you are close, I would highly advise sending the TSP supervisor for psychology an email. I am not sure who it is this year, as I believe the supervisor has changed.

I am not sure about the art aspect. It is true that it is scientific, but psychology is taught within that framework, so I don't think it'd hurt to at least try the TSP project out. For 1st year, only a project is offered (maybe changed this year?) - this is a group presentation. You will be guided by a 3rd year, so you don't have to worry too much. It's also quite fun and you'll enjoy it (and you will learn how psychology really works, not the mind-reading mumbo jumbo that you often get from TV and media).

The process of enrolling is quite simple for psychology. You go to TSP psychology supervisor, fill out a form, go to faculty of science to get it enrolled and you are done! But first, wait for the email for TSP invitation.

And falseenthusiasm is correct. TSP will not affect your progress in BPSych - treat it as an elective. Of course, it is (usually) advantageous to get more experience in research as it will most definitely help your Honours year, h/w it will not affect your later studies in psychology, if you decide to pursue them. Though you have to be careful with your subject selection, if you are in the arts stream - that means you need to have a arts major alongside psychology (which is a science major). It probably means you have to overload the TSP unit on top of your semester courses - check that out! Though I am sure if you are invited to the TSP, you should be able to do a 3cp project ontop of usual 24cp load (I did this in my 1st semester 1st year, overloaded TSP project).

If you have any questions, feel free to ask!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)