• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

talk about a skills shortage (1 Viewer)

redruM

Breathe and Stop
HSC
volition said:
I was in a tute once watching a presentation, where one guy said "COE" instead of "CEO" how's that for mispronunciation :p (he did it consistently, not just once) maybe he was just nervous tho heh.

Anyway, what I wanted to ask was, supposedly goin to UNSW and doin comm is good, but what kind of grade average is 'competitive' to get into a Big4 accounting firm? and what would I be looking at to get into 2nd tier? just wondering how 'bad' the shortage is...
From what I have heard, they look for 60-65%+ as your average, work experience and extra-curricular. Obviously, the higher the better. :)

redruM

Breathe and Stop
HSC
mr_shittles said:
So I think its important to cut some of these international students a bit of flak because some of them try very hard to learn the language, customs and culture of Australia, and if we don't try to encourage them they'll lose interest and we'll lose good people.
For myself, and probably others, I think it is the ones that don't appreciate the "big picture" that tick everyone off. They are content to live in their own little world...

Tabris

HSC
some do try some dont do much trying at all

A chinese student sat next to me on the train and was underining words in the readers digest magazine..... others dont try very well like that of SIBT students

turtleface

HSC
Maybe most people just don't have time to try. Given the heavy workloads, its a bit difficult to try and learn a language so quickly as well as trying to integrate yourself into the community

:: ck ::

Actuarial Boy
HSC
Tabris said:
some do try some dont do much trying at all

A chinese student sat next to me on the train and was underining words in the readers digest magazine..... others dont try very well like that of SIBT students
um... generalising a lot there with the sibt thing...

remmeber if they're in sibt they've most likely just stepped off the plane at the beginning of the yr and entered a foreign country whcih speaks a different langauge.. i'd be quite shy if i was in that position

plz stop making generalisations... i can ask you the same question: "why dont u try and mix with the international students in SIBT"

im not saying all the international students ARENT ignorant, im just sick of it when ppl assume they are just because they have friends from their own country

Archimedes

HSC
There's definitely a huge skills shortage for accountants atm. My marks have not been spectacular (low credits) and I have no experience in any accounting or financial services firm, yet I was able to secure a grad job in a highly credentialled (I believe) mid tier chartered Accounting firm.

Furthermore, I know someone who says they know "3 or 4 accountants who can't find staff to work for them".

It's an enviable position to be in right now, as an Accounting graduate!

Conspirocy

HSC
re international students

okay in my business law tutes, I'm basically in a room with 20 international students and me. Maybe I've been unlucky, but I am the one who gets ignored in those tutes that I have had. They show up and more than likely know the answer to most of the questions being asked in the course. To say that they dont want to express it is incorrect. I've noticed that whenever they are forced to answer a question, they are very quick to answer. They obviously have a grasp of the english language to progress through uni.

This is annoying because they simply expect me to answer all the questions in the tutorial, because I'm the local student. They write down every point i say. This is frustrating, I get nothing from a tutorial with people who don't want to share their views on the content. I think it is very selfish, and for them to say they can't speak english is complete lie.

I've had tutorials where they co-ordinator set a rule where the only way to be marked present for a tute was to make a contribution to it. Another course, where answers were not posted online had a rule that the students run the tutorial, and it would not start unless they started to answer the problem question. I'm sorry, maybe some of them did not contribute because of their poor language skills, but surprise surprise that when marks were involved they all suddenly learnt how to speak english fluently.

I think the vast majority of international students don't make the effort, and as a result I don't have any time for them.

I mean on a social side of things, how many people have been invited to an international students birthday? Or even spend time on a break with an international student. I guess they don't have birthdays or take breaks.

Edit: Another point. If they missed a tutorial, or a lecture and want some notes, they somehow seem to be able to find the words to ask me. I think that's pretty interesting. Since I'm not slack I give it to them, but what a cop out.

Last edited:

kow_dude

HSC
On international students' own defense, some are genuinely shy and afraid to speak up. I've asked some international students why they are so quiet in class and many of them say they are embarassed as to what other people may think of them after trying to contribute. For instance, a friend of mine (who's an international student) says he does not like participating in class discussions because he thinks other people thinks he's stupid for not making sense or stating obvious things.

On the other note, i do agree that those international students that only keep their heads down, say nothing and write notes are very selfish. There's this asian bitch who often sits next to me and all she does is look at her book and write. She never smiles and never says hello to the tutor/classmates. I'm sure these type of people not only piss classmates but the tutor especially.

RTTTYTR

HSC
I have noticed local students as being just as shy so I dont think its fair to judge them for being so as it is a personality thing & not necessarily associated with race or nationality

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
So do you guys approve of the use of participation marks contributing to overall mark? Sure it might result in some pretty obvious things being said, but I noticed in my tutorials where everybody really gets into it and is quite interested, then everybody benefits.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)