• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Talking to guys (1 Viewer)

Blue Suede

a bedroom philosopher
HSC
Ummm I've always operated with the philosophy that people are people...so it doesn't make a difference if I'm talking to a guy or a girl.

Striking up conversation is all about reading people to know what will make interesting dialogue with them. I find striking up conversation by commenting on something or asking a question about something, way less forced than immediately introducing yourself from the get go. Find a commonality, discuss it, and then do the whole name intro thing.

So if it's a music camp, and it's all musos, I think talking about music stuff, like what people play and stuff or stuff to do with the excursion is an easy icebreaker if you are stuck!
Go up to them, say 'Hi, is this (something)?' even if you know the answer. When they say yes, continue with 'So are you a muso too?' (yes) 'What do you play?' etc. Hopefully that will get them asking you the same questions back, then after a few exchanges, something like 'Hey, I didn't catch your name btw, I'm BLAH'. Bam, friend. And much more natural than rocking up and just asking for their name.

WeaselPowa

HSC
Once a term, all of us Music students get to go on an excursion after school and there are all these REALLY attractive guys from other schools there... but the problem is, I'm terrible with talking to guys and it doesn't help that I've got my friend, who's nice but acts awkward in public, around. Should I try and approach people there? I'm really shy in some situations, and not good at approaching people. How do I talk to these guys confidently without my awkward friend getting in the way? (I've already learned from past experiences that a "hi, do you play Pokemon?" won't cut it :p)
Fuck yeah I do.

Leffife

A lover is a best friend
HSC
N/A
Nah, I'm Australian, but you were right on the wanting to talk to Asian guys thing... I just find them better-looking and more interesting than Anglo guys, plus I take a serious interest in their culture and have several Asian friends. Sorry if you think I should stick to my own kind... I can't help it :p
Since you will be most likely talking to an asian guy then from what I know mainly (not all cases), it's always great to talk about maths and video games. Most asians tend to love those kind of things, so it wont be a risky approach. Oh also add food to that list.

Dan895

HSC
Uni Grad
Since you will be most likely talking to an asian guy then from what I know mainly (not all cases), it's always great to talk about maths and video games. Most asians tend to love those kind of things, so it wont be a risky approach. Oh also add food to that list.
Adding to this the OP might actually have a chance to use one of the mathematics pick-up lines. Seriously OP do not pass up this opportunity you'd be queen of the BoS maths forum :)

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
also anime/hentai

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)