Target UAI 95+... Importance of being ranked 1st? (1 Viewer)

apollo

My ranks ATM:

Adv English - 1st
Economics - 1st
Modern History - 2nd (by 3%)
Ancient History - 2nd (by 2%)
Geography - 2nd (by 10%

I want 95+, but i'm under the assumption that my subjects scale poorly. How crucial do you think it is for me to get to rank 1 in Modern & Ancient Histories? And Geography? Obviously I should be trying anyway, but do you think it'd be the make/break of a 98+ UAI??

Thanks.

Rahul

Dead Member
'they' probably need to know ur school(or their position in the state) and ur assessment marks so far!

from my perspective, nice marks :)
i am not sure but the further u come first by, the better ur moderated assessment mark will be, i think.
obviously the hsc exam will have HUGE bearing on ur uai. get some band 6's and u are in with a good chance.

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
It would be more important for you to improve in geography; you're further behind.

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
Give us more information, and we'll be more helpful.

Additional information like:
* School (and it's rank ... out of the schools in the state - SMH?!)
* The number of students per subject
* The percentage of students with 90+, 95+ last year from your school

sugaryblue

Living on deficit
HSC
Originally posted by Lazarus
It would be more important for you to improve in geography; you're further behind.
Lazarus, do they actually place such a strong emphasis on ranking?

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
They place a stronger emphasis on rank than they do on Raw Marks sent by the school.

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Originally posted by apollo
I want 95+, but i'm under the assumption that my subjects scale poorly. How crucial do you think it is for me to get to rank 1 in Modern & Ancient Histories? And Geography? Obviously I should be trying anyway, but do you think it'd be the make/break of a 98+ UAI??
Getting ranked 1st/2nd is only half the job though. To come first and get an HSC mark of 60 will be pointless to your cause (im not saying this will happen, I'm just pointing out that rank isnt the only crucial thing)

And what Laz said about picking up Geog. because ur 'further behind' relates to the case of relative difference between assessment marks, because if ur far behind, the distribution of moderated assessment marks will reflect this (you'll get a lower moderated assesment mark if u were ranked 2nd 10% behind than if u were ranked 2nd only 1% behind)

apollo

Thanks for your replies everyone. What you're saying Minai seems to indicate that coming 1st isn't essential, if the borderline is as small as it as in Modern & Ancient History (2-3%). It's probably worth my while doing what Laz said I guess, and getting my Geography mark up.

I'm at Ultimo TAFE... Each year a handful of students will get 90+, but a majority get average - 50 through to 80. I don't think we're ranked by the SMH cos we're not considered a school, and the HSC is a small part of TAFE.

I have done the HSC before though, and I'd like to point out that the teachers at TAFE push us far harder than at school - assessments have (generally) been more complicated and required more work.

Advanced English - 1/26 (88%)
Ancient History - 2/35 (96%)
Modern History - 2/19 (95%)
Economics - 1/5 (80%)
Geography - 3/16 (84%)

I'm lifting my game in Economics, Geography and English. Particularly Eco, but it's hard - our teacher pushes us so fucking hard it's not funny... That's why it's such a small class - people couldn't hack it. Following this, I'll tune up Geography big time too.

Next Friday I enter hermit mode. The long haul of study, trials, study, HSC begins... By the end of it, I'll probably be pale skinned, unshaven and smelly. Oh well :)

Thanks for your help guys, I really appreciate it :D

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)