Tax (1 Viewer)

kow_dude

HSC
Hello,

I have a tax question for those of you who are:

• Attending Full time Uni
  • Employed
  • Use Public transport to/from work

... Do you buy train tickets at the concession rate or full rate? CityRail's requirement for concession rate use includes:

"For full time NSW/ACT students attending University, TAFE or Private College who are 16 years and over and school students 19 years and over. Must be enrolled for a minimum of 9 weeks; attending day classes; but not engaged in business or employment..."

So do you buy train tickets at adult rates (even though you are eligible for concession tickets) and claim them back from tax returns?

Thanks guys

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
Buy them concession because its cheaper and they have no way of knowing about your employment also I believe the caveat is you can be either full time student and eligible or a full time employee and not.

eg if you work part-time its OK.

My money is with milk the concessions as much as you can.

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Unfortunately you cannot claim transport costs to and from your place of work as tax deductions (ie, petrol, public transport etc). You can only claim transport costs if they were "incidental and relevant" to the performance of your job (ie, you are courier, or a pizza delivery driver)

Scanorama

HSC
pottsy44 said:
fuck CityRail's requirements i pay for concession.
Amen to that. As long as you are a full time student, you are eligible for concession fares. The ticket is expansive enough as it is.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)