Teacher's effort V Student's effort (1 Viewer)

bored of sc

HSC
Both are important but which do you think is more important - the school's/teacher's effort or the student's effort??

Really, think about it...

x.Exhaust.x

Retired Member
HSC
EbonyTW said:
It's on both sides of the spectrum,

You can try as hard as possible to do your very best but if your class is behind in the curriculum it is incredibly hard to catch up and you miss out on so much that you would otherwise have known despite personal study.

But then again I have teachers that I do not get along with but do incredibly well with because their lack of teaching skills makes me realize how much harder I truly have to work to keep ahead, either way you try your best and sometimes the man gets you down.
Qft, really good point. It's on both sides, but your own effort (student) is important, because if the teacher is behind and you put in the hard yards by doing past papers and learning extra, you get the good marks by stepping ahead.

michael1990

HSC
Would have to say both parts.

Teachers need to make the effort for the students.

But also the student has to want to learn. Which means they need to put effort in as well.

But overall would have to say Teacher, as a teacher could make you want to put the effort in, and they can also make you think who cares, they have quite a big influence.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
I'd say students is more important. I've seen people at Sydney Boys fail abysmally in their HSC (60 ish UAI), whereas, I've seen Birrong Boys fluorish (99.5+). In my opinion, all the resources and best teachers, tutors and mentors in the world won't help a student if he/she doesn't want to learn.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
In my opinion, it is definitely student's effort that drives him/her to perform well in exams. During my year 10, 5 out of 7 teachers were like the worst teachers that you could get for that subject, but I managed to top in those subjects by own effort.

Therefore, I really think that it is students' effort that is more significant. However, having good teachers is very beneficial as well.

Aplus

HSC
N/A
Having a good teacher means nothing if the student doesn't put the effort in to learn.

HSC
ultimately the student has to take responsibility for their own learning.

Last edited:

Sarah182

Herpes Member
HSC
I think both are important but I cannot learn without having a good teacher.

It does come down to the teacher that they provide a platform for the student to do well and from there the student has to take that opportunity.

flickade4

HSC
having a teacher that puts effort into your learning is likely to result in the student putting effort into the subject.
in year 11 i had our different teachers for english the first teacher ha bipolar disorder, the second fled the country and went to america, the third stayed for 6 weeks and left again and then we got a new teacher who has lasted the longest, our yr 11 exam results were hideous as there was no teacher effort and as a result no student effort, they need to balance each other out!

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
flickade4 said:
having a teacher that puts effort into your learning is likely to result in the student putting effort into the subject.
in year 11 i had our different teachers for english the first teacher ha bipolar disorder, the second fled the country and went to america, the third stayed for 6 weeks and left again and then we got a new teacher who has lasted the longest, our yr 11 exam results were hideous as there was no teacher effort and as a result no student effort, they need to balance each other out!
But if the students had put the effort in and really wanted to learn, they would've photocopied notes from people in other classes, got a tutor, made a complaint to the Head of English - whatever. In the end, what it comes down to is student attitude.

Aplus

HSC
N/A
The sudent definitely needs to put the effort in. You can't expect teachers to 'spoon feed' you. Take some responsibility for your own learning and actually do some independent learning.

law

HSC
N/A
Though I do agree with you Aerath in saying that the student determines their own results based on their determination to do well/ proactive attitude, flickade4 does have a point. At my school there are some brilliant teachers, however (like in all schools) there are some that treat there job as a necessity to make money and never really engage/ interact with their students. It is up to the student to work around this (even though some shouldn't have to because their parents are already paying enough in fees) however with the stress of senior school, the added pressure of doing the job that your teacher should be doing can become unbearable. It is 1% inspiration, 99% perspiration for the student (yes, I recognise that's cliche) but balance is essential as working in excess just because your teacher is terrible/ lazy will eventually lead to the student burning out.

flickade4

HSC
Aerath said:
But if the students had put the effort in and really wanted to learn, they would've photocopied notes from people in other classes, got a tutor, made a complaint to the Head of English - whatever. In the end, what it comes down to is student attitude.
the teacher that fled the country was our head english teacher, there was only one advance english class
we come from a school of 280 people and a town of 3000 it isnt as simple as getting a tutor or asking other classes we didnt have that luxury!

Aplus

HSC
N/A
Why the hell would he flee the country? Escaping criminal conviction? Tax evasion? Fraud? Domestic violence? Family problem overseas?

HSC
In my school there is a business studies teacher who is really strict but according to her class she is the best teacher in the world. She plays games as a way of making notes, makes the notes stick into your head and never moves on until every student understands the topic, even if it takes out most of her lunchtimes.

The amazing thing is that she makes the students want to do well, they feel that if they don't do well then they let her down so they reallllyyy try hard.

This class is in yr 11 now and have only had one or two assessments so far i think, and nobody in her class got under 80% so far.

isnt that amazing?...so i guess if you really want to do well then you try hard and do well, when you have a teacher who knows how to motivate and teach, then thats such a real bonus...now i wish i did business studies lol.

Don't people think that teachers should be more like that...she reminds me of that famous teacher Ron Clark. I need a teacher like that.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
There are some subjects where you really need teachers despite the fact that students are their own motivators.

Subjects such as English and Mathematics, you really need teachers' help or tutors' help. If you don't understand the concepts, you are screwed. It is hard to study subject like that by yourself.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
crissgoes2skool said:
Don't people think that teachers should be more like that...she reminds me of that famous teacher Ron Clark. I need a teacher like that.
Well said, and I completely agree. I would like teachers who would make me love that subject or make me study that subject. Last year commerce is a good example. I was never good at commerce but the teacher that I had was absolutely awesome. He was fun, taught us a lot of stuff and made me like that subject. In the end, my rank increased from 41 to the top rank.

abalia

HSC
Although often students can have the best teachers and be no better off unless they put in effort themselves, a good teacher can make all the difference. I;ve had first-hand experience of bad teaching in Year 10 and the impact it had on my marks and performance, no matter how hard I tried - I went from a top student to an average student with no confidence, and that was reflected in my marks. I'm still working to recover from it. The issue is that, if you have a bad teacher, you have to devote so much time to teaching yourself what you would normally have known that you miss things, there are things you don't have the resources to learn, and so on. I find bad teaching has a huge impact in English - this teacher I had in Year 10 had us do basically no homework or writing practice the whole year. And those analytical skills are really important. So in that case, I'd blame the teacher, not the student.

Continuum

I'm squishy
HSC
I reckon that both the students and the teachers need to play their respective roles in the learning process.

I have to disagree with statements that imply that the student effort is significantly more important than that of the teacher, I just think that's pretty naive. I'm not saying that students taking responsibility for their own education is bad or anything, I just think that those people are shying away from the obvious fact that the teachers are the basis of the student's learning. How are you meant to learn effectively when your doorway to the subject is a complete idiot or makes no effort at all? Textbooks or photocopied notes? Would that not imply that you could learn a subject completely by yourself? Why not just leave school then? Be my guest if you want to prove me wrong.

As a sidenote, I do count tutors as teachers because they are exactly that - they teach.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)