Teaching in uni anyone ? (1 Viewer)

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Re: Teaching anyone ?

chewy123 said:
Bachelor of education combined with art is my ninth preference. I actually really want to be a teacher, but my impression is that there is littler incentive (i.e. people don't appreciate your hard work) and the pay is appalling.
True, true, true. Some people at my school have got no respect for teachers! Some of us in my acceleration maths class are saying that they will get over 100K as a fresh graduate once they get into mining engineering or whatever and bag out teachers' pay! wth...I really cannot imagine myself being in the teacher's shoes at that time...

I think teachers deserve more respect and pay for what they do. And to be honest I reckon they should get a lot of bonuses based on their performances...even though it is VERY difficult to measure...

Anyway, teaching needs to be promoted as a top quality professional job (aka bloody awesome white-collar job with 100k pay for those who are really experienced teachers). But that's just my view...

Kirsty Xx

That's the price we pay
HSC

Kirsty Xx said:
I want to do a Dip Ed at the end of my course... which should be in 2012 :)
Mine is like back-up plan. Say if the job prospects with my qualifications are small at the time of graduating or I can't find the job I want, I have the Dip Ed to fall back on. I also love the idea of being able to teach what I enjoy learning and experiencing myself. Plus if I need a new direction in my life, I have various career paths and qualifications at my fingertips.

runnable

HSC

lyounamu said:
Anyway, teaching needs to be promoted as a top quality professional job (aka bloody awesome white-collar job with 100k pay for those who are really experienced teachers). But that's just my view...
Yep but we still can't deny the fact that they are high school teachers. Lecturers and professors at UNIVERSITY level (still teachers) do get paid that much, sometimes more.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A

runnable said:
Yep but we still can't deny the fact that they are high school teachers. Lecturers and professors at UNIVERSITY level (still teachers) do get paid that much, sometimes more.
Yeah, true.

Iruka

HSC
N/A
To get 100K at uni you would have to be an associate professor or higher. That won't happen until 15 or 20 years of work as a lecturer.

The pay for a level A academic (i.e., starting pay) is almost as bad as a teacher's, but without any job stability - most of them are on post-doctoral fellowships that only run 2 or 3 years. When you consider that you need honours + PhD to do this, it is also a pretty crappy career path.

HSC
I agree with so many of these posts, teachers truly don't get the respect they deserve. I reckon why that's why so many have turned out being 'mean' or 'unhelpful' teachers: because they believe that we won't be grateful for it afterwards.

I remember one ancient yr 12 class when this kid was seriously pissing the teacher off. This lady was the nice, polite motherly types and she was steadily getting more aggravated. When she finally snapped, she said something along the lines of.. 'I didn't work through five years of uni to teach immature students like you!'

And that depressed me, because isn't that true. You'd think a senior would grow out of the disrupting phase. Imagine having to teach year 8 and 9 buggers all morning and come to a senior class, only to have someone making your life hell all over again?

So I guess if you do this job, you'll have to become thick skinned and be willing to give way more than recieve. Something 'our generation' supposedly dosen't like the idea of.

I still have B Arts/Education as a first preference...and i'm hoping by the time i've graduated i've grown enough skin not to be upset when a student mocks my ability/profession or I work my butt of and at the end of the day no one cares.

My main incentive for doing B arts/education isnt really the teaching option afterwards to be honest, its just that this combined degree really does combine the two things i'm most interested in - arts and education (not teaching!)

Hey, there might be the off chance where this degree could lead me somewhere exciting - you never know!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)