Chevalier

FutureGazer
HSC
what techniques are these phrases

"the sun swallowed up in the far hillside"

"i could feel the chill of death"

are they personification?

thankyou
Personification (though thats a technique seldom used in exams now its pretty basic,) Visual Imagery (conjures up a powerful visual image of the sun engulfing the sky)

Kat92

HSC
Never heard of it, I'd say its sensual imagery cause it is associated with the senses
Sensual imagery is the name governing all of the imagery such as aural, auditory, tactile, etc. Each of the imagery underneath the governing title relates back to parts of the human body. They are heavily dealt with when it comes to analysing poetry.

There is a site designed for HSC students that clearly explains it. Just do a google search and I am sure that you'll find it.

omnipotent

HSC
hijacking this thread to avoid making a new one and cloggin up forum.

can you guys help me identify a technique in :
"the beauty of the dream vanished, and breathless horror and disgust filled my heart"

Thanks

Slowness

HSC
hijacking this thread to avoid making a new one and cloggin up forum.

can you guys help me identify a technique in :
"the beauty of the dream vanished, and breathless horror and disgust filled my heart"

Thanks
I would say Personification for the first bit and metaphor for the last bit.
Negative Connotations with 'horror' and 'disgust'.

I think you maaaay be able to go emotional language with the reference to 'heart' but i wouldn't do it

Kat92

HSC
This is from Chapter 5 of Frankenstein where Vicotr is starting to use galvanism. So I would agree with @ slowness by making the connection to personification for the first bit of how the beauty of the dream vanished. It could also be linked back to an intepretation that once the creature is alive through the process of galvanism that beauty is within the eye of the beholder and ups and goes (vanishes) when Victor sees what he has created.

And yes the end bit is certainly a metaphor with negative connotative language.

It's probably best if you get your teacher to explain the first bit of the quote as it is not a typical example of personification.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)