Technique? (1 Viewer)

may22

HSC
Great Expectations: "I was too cowardly to do what I knew to be right, as I had been too cowardly to avoid doing what I knew to be wrong"

Run hard@thehsc

HSC
Seems like a case of epistrophe or antithesis? Idk tbh since I have not studied the text, but that is how it seems to me. Correct me if I am wrong pls

Last edited:

Ksalu

>:))
HSC
I think it might be antithesis? Antithesis iirc is when opposites in a statement is used to create a contrasting effect. In this case, I think the opposites are do/avoid and right/wrong. If antithesis does not work, contrast might work?

epistrophe iirc is when there is a repetition of words at the end of a sentence. For example, “see no evil, hear no evil, speak no evil”

pls correct me if I am wrong as I am writing this past midnight.

Hopefully this helps. Wish you all the best!

Last edited:

may22

HSC
Thanks guys, I was leaning to antithesis because that was what I initially thought as well :)

jks22

HSC
I think it might be antithesis? Antithesis iirc is when opposites in a statement is used to create a contrasting effect. In this case, I think the opposites are do/avoid and right/wrong. If antithesis does not work, contrast might work?

epistrophe iirc is when there is a repetition of words at the end of a sentence. For example, “see no evil, hear no evil, speak no evil”

pls correct me if I am wrong as I am writing this past midnight.

Hopefully this helps. Wish you all the best!
Yeah I think it would be antithesis (where there is a thesis in the first half of the sentence and the second half of the sentence disproves the initial thesis)

Some examples are: It’s not that I loved Caesar less, I loved Rome more.’ (Julius Caesar) or ‘To be or not to be.’ (Hamlet)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)