technology and evolutionary relationships (1 Viewer)

vivacious

use available evidence to analyse, using a named example, how advances in technology have changed scientific thinking about evolutionary relationships

anyone have any example for me to use? i cant find them

tempco

HSC
DNA hybridisation... They separate DNA strands of two species by heating them, and mix them together. They then see the degree of base pairing. The more pairing, the closer the evolutionary relationship. The example that I'm using is of humans and primates. They closeness of their relationship was revealed through this technology. Specifically, the sequence of bases coding for haemoglobin has no differences between chimpanzees and humans, and I think 2 differences between gorillas and humans.

Rosem

HSC
N/A
i am not sure but this is wat i fink, so excuse me if i am wrong

Evidence = palaeontology, biogeography, biochemistry..etc
Example, biochemistry where developement of DNA hybridisation help to better understand evolutionary relationship between species

tempco

HSC
Originally posted by Rosem
i am not sure but this is wat i fink, so excuse me if i am wrong

Evidence = palaeontology, biogeography, biochemistry..etc
Example, biochemistry where developement of DNA hybridisation help to better understand evolutionary relationship between species
That's one of the first dot points in the Blueprint of Life section of the syllabus. The dot point vivacious is refering to is a different one.

But biochemistry is basically what I'm refering to. The actual technology is DNA hybridisation, while the example I used is human/primate relationships.

hehe.. got it there before you! :p

Rosem

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by NekkidSerpent
That's one of the first dot points in the Blueprint of Life section of the syllabus. The dot point vivacious is refering to is a different one.
those dot point are linked

tempco

HSC
Well, I guess you could say they're overlapping, so yeh.. it's all good. Amino acid sequencing is also part of biochemistry, so it would be better to specifically state either amino acid sequencing or DNA hybridisation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)