technology for prevention of blindness from catacts (1 Viewer)

IronyHigh

I need to find two, and so far I've just found different types of surgery, one old and on new, do they count as two different technologies?

Also, what are the implications of the technologies?

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
A copy and paste from my notes about implications:

The implications for society of these technologies are that less people become unnecessarily blind, and have improved vision. It gives people more independence and improves their quality of life. In developing countries, cataract surgery carried out by groups such as the Fred Hollows Foundation has massive implications for these communities. Regaining sight in these countries increases an individual’s lifespan, and means that they can be more independent and active. Society can benefit from older people’s experiences and knowledge and can spend less time and money looking after those with cataract blindness.

I think the two different types of surgeries are what they are looking for. If you read the dot point:
process and analyse information from secondary sources to describe cataracts and the technology that can be used to prevent blindness from cataracts and discuss the implications of this technology for society
It actualy says "technology" not "technologies" so that implies that you don't need another one on top of the types of surgery.

kow_dude

HSC
braindrainedAsh said:
It actualy says "technology" not "technologies" so that implies that you don't need another one on top of the types of surgery.
I was just about to say that. I think we only need to study one surgical procedure looking at the technologies involved.

flipsyde

Shutup!...that's why
HSC
hey guys I really need help with this question and its also hard to understand can you help me

by reference to the work of the Fred Hollows Foundation discuss the implications of this technology for society

can anyone help me?
thanx

babydoll_

wat
HSC
N/A
technology - GLASSES! the simplest one, but everyone forgets
and laser eye surgery

Fred Hollows gives free (or reduced cost) surgery for cataracts in 3rd world countries. When these people are blind, they can't work and therefore society is impacted because there is one less worker. it all adds up. if there is a cheap alternative, then these people can regain their eyesight and become useful members of society again. does that make sense? i wrote something along those lines for my assignment and i got 5/5

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
I thought glasses and laser surgery were only used for myopia and hyperopia:confused:

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
withoutaface said:
I thought glasses and laser surgery were only used for myopia and hyperopia:confused:
i think glasses as in sunnies, which prevent the strong uv from messing with the fibres in ur cataracts...

btw, @ babydoll_ and ashlee: u gals rock!!! =D i LOVE ur notes =D

babydoll_

wat
HSC
N/A
withoutaface said:
glasses can be used in the early stages of cataract formation to allow the patient better vision

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)