Telecommunications Engineering (1 Viewer)

tooheyz

- kmart supervisor -
HSC
pete! congrats man!
hahaha hey man if ur doing it at uts, my cousin is there :)

icystwolf

Hi people I'm Jimmy,

I'm in UNSW, entering 4th yr telecommunications engineering. It's funny I've never seen this site at my time when doing the HSC...anyways.

I'm currently holding the EE&T mentoring program.

The mentoring program is just there to help you adapt into the engineering study environment. When I started first year, I found it really hard to adapt, and in some sense I wished I had someone to help me out.....

It's just small things like, "the difference between an art student studing and an engineering student studing is....an engineer does real homework, and comes out with a real job"....

In first year, my first session, I got smacked hard, because I listened to an arts student's advice on how to study....

To get into the mentoring program, you can register online, which isn't available yet, but soon.....

For the time being, send me a private message and I'll give you my email address in that.....

On O-week, if you do join the mentoring program, you'll see me giving a talk. And say hi!:)

icystwolf

The IT industry is picking up again, but the influx of enrolement courses don't correspond to the market.

Which is a real tragedy. This year, IT programs, the numbers enrolling have dropped significantly in all universities, but at the same time, the industry are starting to get desperate in pulling in engineers.

Don't worry too much, this cycle goes up and down every 6yrs....I think.

freaking_out

Saddam's new life
HSC
Originally posted by icystwolf
The IT industry is picking up again, but the influx of enrolement courses don't correspond to the market.

Which is a real tragedy. This year, IT programs, the numbers enrolling have dropped significantly in all universities, but at the same time, the industry are starting to get desperate in pulling in engineers.

Don't worry too much, this cycle goes up and down every 6yrs....I think.
is IT industry and telecommunication industry the same?

icystwolf

Originally posted by freaking_out
is IT industry and telecommunication industry the same?
the telecommunications industry is a subset of the IT industry.

that is,
IT includes computing, programing, electronics implementation, computer technology, networking, telecommunications....etc

So IT is a broader term for Technology, and telecommunications is just part of IT.

The only thing I can say is, don't drop out. Heaps of people drop out of engineering, because they believe it's hard...it's only hard for the first two years..... after that, you graduate with a good career....etc............

freaking_out

Saddam's new life
HSC
...The only thing I can say is, don't drop out. Heaps of people drop out of engineering, because they believe it's hard...it's only hard for the first two years..... after that, you graduate with a good career....etc............
yeah, i'll try my best. :cold:

icystwolf

To give you a hint, each university, even at the best university in the world, has a downside to it which can easily be fixed...so it's sometime good to ask the people who are doing the course in that university, what are the downfalls of the program...and measure up what you believe is most important.

UAI's don't really mean any thing these days.....it doesn't mean you can get into a best university......all it means is, You've made it in here!

As a UNSW student, I hated UNSW for the first two years, but I'm really enjoying it now....I think it's well worth it....

freaking_out

Saddam's new life
HSC
To give you a hint, each university, even at the best university in the world, has a downside to it which can easily be fixed...so it's sometime good to ask the people who are doing the course in that university, what are the downfalls of the program...and measure up what you believe is most important.

UAI's don't really mean any thing these days.....it doesn't mean you can get into a best university......all it means is, You've made it in here!

As a UNSW student, I hated UNSW for the first two years, but I'm really enjoying it now....I think it's well worth it....
so what are the downfalls in the course that ur doing?

icystwolf

lack of first year support.....thats all about to be changed, because I'm co-ordinating the mentoring program.

The mentoring program will help all first year students adapt into uni. Making sure, what I experienced in first year doesn't happen again to the new first year students.....

freaking_out

Saddam's new life
HSC
lack of first year support.....thats all about to be changed, because I'm co-ordinating the mentoring program.

The mentoring program will help all first year students adapt into uni. Making sure, what I experienced in first year doesn't happen again to the new first year students.....
well what sorta things are u gonna point out to the first year students? :D

icystwolf

well, if you really want to know, then you'd have to come to unsw. I have trade secrets....:)

I've been working on the mentoring program for months.....so a one line answer wouldn't work at all...and in anycase, I've got a meeting now....:)

Have fun in uni....:) :) :)

freaking_out

Saddam's new life
HSC
well, if you really want to know, then you'd have to come to unsw. I have trade secrets....:)

I've been working on the mentoring program for months.....so a one line answer wouldn't work at all...and in anycase, I've got a meeting now....:)

Have fun in uni....:) :) :)

'tis ok...i guess i'll just use these forums to get my advice. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)