Telling the Truth - Related Texts (1 Viewer)

Nick_R

Master of my Domain
HSC
we're doing as ORM "Chaser" stuff, and also the recent BBC series "Absolute Power" with Stephen Fry (just shown on the ABC) - these are really great..
but a lot of ppl are underestimating the usefulness of what have become known "Busherisms" (yes, when George f's up wot he is saying) - so many of these have been taken out of context, especially on the internet and been used as Anti-Bush propaganda, even if tho for the purpose of comedy - I mean, we can't deny the Bush is a little dumb, which even he admits, but surely people arn't telling the absolute truth then they scold him in every aspect of his existance... you only have to go to youtube, type in "Bush", then you have a whole evening of entertainment b4 ur eyes

rory2481

HSC
pretty sure nobody in the state is doing "birthday letters", i need related material. i can use two of sylvia plaths poems but they are also poems so there's no variety. anyone know of something relevaant?

denise_

So fetch!
HSC
Ajyoung said:
does anyone have the image of lies by leunig?
i was googling for this but couldnt find it. If anyone is nice enough to scan it or has it on their computer please PM me. It would be greatly appreciated :)

shinji

Is in A State Of Trance
HSC
passion89 said:
I'm doing 'Outfoxed' and also one of the 17 billion Simpsons episodes that target the concept of truth.
my teacher was gonna do outfoxed, but decided against it. i watched part of it though; verrry intersting..!

im doing the syvla plath poems for The birthday letters..

im just wondering if i was able to use either of these 2 texts:
" Idlewild - Nick Sagan"
or
"One Shot - Lee Child"

iamsmall

HSC
hey...can someone tell me if the movie 'The truman show" can be used as a related text?

sedated_mind

HSC
it hasnt been mentioned yet but 'anchorman', and 'thank you for smoking' are good to use too

mrincredible

Superhero In Training
HSC
iamsmall said:
hey...can someone tell me if the movie 'The truman show" can be used as a related text?
its advised not to because its on the prescribed list for standard english and ur supposed to analyse the text yourself or some bs

Wakely

HSC
I got good marks using 'Liar Liar' and 'Goodbye Lennon', both movies

ane_st

HSC
I reckon the thing between Chanel 7 and 9 would be good for a related text

Last edited:

karoooh

HSC
I used the song 'Media' by John Butler Trio in an assessment and my trial and got marked down because it "didn't give me much to say" and it was "risky".

Has anyone used the song before as a s.s text? If so, how well did you go and what was your teacher's take on the text? Should I keep using it?

passion89

HSC
karoooh said:
I used the song 'Media' by John Butler Trio in an assessment and my trial and got marked down because it "didn't give me much to say" and it was "risky".

Has anyone used the song before as a s.s text? If so, how well did you go and what was your teacher's take on the text? Should I keep using it?

I used it as an additional text and it worked really well. You just have to approach it a more than superficial level. One of my friends used it as well and it was deemed a shallow interpretation. Because it is such an obvious criticism of the media, the song can be very easily taken by face value which is something that you need to be careful of.

Toby_18

HSC
passion89 said:
I used it as an additional text and it worked really well. You just have to approach it a more than superficial level. One of my friends used it as well and it was deemed a shallow interpretation. Because it is such an obvious criticism of the media, the song can be very easily taken by face value which is something that you need to be careful of.
Do you have any notes or suggestions on it at all. Any help would be very very greatly appreciated.

Panique

HSC
Nothing to report- May Herschel Clarke

Does this poem only go for 3 lines? Just making sure in case I somehow got screwed over for the rest of it...

Thanks.

crazycuri0scool

HSC
yup it only goes for three lines :)

i was thinking of doing 'attack on the ad man' for a related text. i thought it was pretty good. i showed the poem to a teacher and she said to find something more 'current affairs' related.

what do you guys think? :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)