• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Telstra Stadium interview - anyone else go? (2 Viewers)

Trogie

HSC
Just wondering if anyone else went to the interviews held at Telstra Stadium today? If so, what were your thoughts?

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
I got invited to go to that interview, but I already have several jobs now..... plus it's a bit of a pain to travel to Olympic Park. I reckon it would be an alright job though, I worked a little bit at the superdome through the hospitality agency that I work for and it was alright.

Trogie

HSC
It was alright getting there today, train from central to olympic park in 15 mins. My bro used to work at the superdome, what did you do there exactly?

today was like their big 'recruitment drive' day, I applied for the position ages months ago.

Trogie

HSC
s.m.i.t.h said:
what type of work was it for?
can u still apply?
The sheet I was given said:

Turnstile attendants
Information
Access Control
Queue Management
Radio Controller
Non-event day functions
Logistics/Grounds/Asset Services support

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
Yeah it's only easy getting there at the moment because of the easter show.... normally to get their you have to catch a train from central to lidcombe, then catch the olympic sprint train.... it takes a minimum of 50 mins from central usually.

Trogie

HSC
yeh you're right, but i'm so poor at the moment and I need work. I was suprised by the pay rate, 21.65 and hour, not too shabby.

Trogie

HSC
braindrainedAsh said:
Woah that is surprisingly decent.... but will you get many shifts there?
lol "suprisingly decent," shifts would be pretty sporadic as you only work when there are league, union, cricket events on. I'm hoping to get another interview somewhere else soon so that if I get the job at the stadium it can sort of complement the other job.

How much do you earn wherever you're working now?

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
Trogie said:
lol "suprisingly decent," shifts would be pretty sporadic as you only work when there are league, union, cricket events on. I'm hoping to get another interview somewhere else soon so that if I get the job at the stadium it can sort of complement the other job.

How much do you earn wherever you're working now?

Ummmm I currently have three jobs. None of them have stellar pay rates, unlike a job I had last year which had excellent pay.

Job no 1 only pays me $13.70 per hour..... so shitty pay..... but I have set shifts (its part time essentially instead of casual) and it's such a boring job that I can do my uni readings while at work, so that's the only reason I am there, it's so easy that it would be pointless to quit. It is very easy money.

Job no 2 is for a casual hospitality agency so the pay varies depending on the venue I am working at and the job I am doing at that particular event/or for that client.... so say I am working as a catering assistant for Eurest, I get paid $16.50 per hour.... but working as a waiter or barista somewhere else I might get paid more, up to like $20 bucks an hour.... plus we get paid penalty rates on the weekend and stuff so it's alright.

Job no 3 I just got today and haven't started working at yet.... but basically I will be a checkout chick at coles, so I think it is something like $15 bucks an hour or something for someone my age.

But last year at Cirque du Soleil I got paid really really good money so it is hard to go back to dodgy pay lol.

Trogie

HSC
Seems like quite a colourful work history.

How did you get into the whole hospitality agency thing? because i was interested in trying out for a barista or wait-staff job but i don't know how to get into it or what it costs etc.

I worked at Coles last year, it was alright & i got to like it after a while and didn't really wanna leave.

lol Cirque du Soleil? How do i get a gig like that?

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
I have an extremely colorful work history lol.... that isn't even my history, that is just the jobs that I have now!!! I chop and change jobs all the time.

For me it was easy to get in to hospitality because my parents own a restaurant.... maybe do a coffee making course and your RSA, then look for jobs that don't require any previous experience. You can work your way up from there.

Cirque du Soleil was just one of those right place right time things..... saw the ad on seek, sent resume, interviews were the next day and they really needed f and b people..... voila, I got the job and it was a great job, so much fun!

theone123

blue essence
HSC
Trogie said:
yeh you're right, but i'm so poor at the moment and I need work. I was suprised by the pay rate, 21.65 and hour, not too shabby.
that rate will cover for any expense where you go :uhhuh:

theone123

blue essence
HSC
braindrainedAsh said:
Ummmm I currently have three jobs. None of them have stellar pay rates, unlike a job I had last year which had excellent pay.

Job no 1 only pays me $13.70 per hour..... so shitty pay..... but I have set shifts (its part time essentially instead of casual) and it's such a boring job that I can do my uni readings while at work, so that's the only reason I am there, it's so easy that it would be pointless to quit. It is very easy money.

Job no 2 is for a casual hospitality agency so the pay varies depending on the venue I am working at and the job I am doing at that particular event/or for that client.... so say I am working as a catering assistant for Eurest, I get paid $16.50 per hour.... but working as a waiter or barista somewhere else I might get paid more, up to like $20 bucks an hour.... plus we get paid penalty rates on the weekend and stuff so it's alright.

Job no 3 I just got today and haven't started working at yet.... but basically I will be a checkout chick at coles, so I think it is something like $15 bucks an hour or something for someone my age.

But last year at Cirque du Soleil I got paid really really good money so it is hard to go back to dodgy pay lol.
hmm how are you going to manage your studies if any :D

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
theone123 said:
hmm how are you going to manage your studies if any :D
It will be a delicate balancing act lol.... but basically I won't work for the hospitality agency during semester, only during holidays..... it is really casual so you just tell them when you are available and they try and find shifts for you.

Trogie

HSC
braindrainedAsh said:
Hey, you reckon you can tell me which place you work? or dont ya want anyone to know?

thanks

SashatheMan

StudyforEver
HSC
N/A
braindrainedAsh said:
It will be a delicate balancing act lol.... but basically I won't work for the hospitality agency during semester, only during holidays..... it is really casual so you just tell them when you are available and they try and find shifts for you.
so are u stinking rich? or just stinky from all the dirty work

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
I am not stinking rich that is why I am working so much.... I moved to the city from the country to go to uni, and I support myself entirely. That is expensive, even while being stingy. Plus I have savings goals etc.

Plus the jobs are fine.... people who are job snobs always whinge about why they are unemployed. I have never had a problem finding work because I have a vast range of experience for someone my age, from hospitality, to retail.

Job No 1 is Harvey Norman for whoever asked.

Trogie

HSC
braindrainedAsh said:
I am not stinking rich that is why I am working so much.... I moved to the city from the country to go to uni, and I support myself entirely. That is expensive, even while being stingy. Plus I have savings goals etc.

Plus the jobs are fine.... people who are job snobs always whinge about why they are unemployed. I have never had a problem finding work because I have a vast range of experience for someone my age, from hospitality, to retail.

Job No 1 is Harvey Norman for whoever asked.
support yourself entirely?... how do you manage? like what are your living arrangements? which suburb are you in at the moment?

Good on ya...i dont think I could move so far away from home without missing it too much, and the less said about my ability to save money, the better.

Julz_05

HSC
I Went To The Interview And Am Goin To The Training

hey trogie...
i went to the interview the other week.. i got the job and now i have to go to the training sessions... did u get it

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)