[TENNIS] The 2014 Australian Open Thread (1 Viewer)

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
Re: [TENNIS] The Official 2014 Australian Open Thread

It all starts tomorrow guys!

Anyways, let's look at the starting events highlights on the men's side:

DOHA:
Champion - NADAL. Rafa faced some tricky challenges on the way to the title (some tight 3 setters) but ultimately came out on top. With high-intensity, a 2nd AO title looks very much possible. He'll need to be on his best form to survive until the finals where he'll most likely meet Novak Djokovic - the man who beat him in the epic 2012 AO finals clash.
Runner-up - MONFILS. I think this is an encouraging sign for him. I think he'll have a good year and hopefully, a good AO if he's injury-free.

BRISBANE:
CHAMPION - HEWITT. I hope he can make it to at least the 4th round of the AO and give Rafa a good fight. But he's been playing like a top 20 player for sure nowadays and if he's injury-free, he's a threat.
RUNNER-UP - FEDERER. An alright result but really, he should have won Brisbane. This could be negative signs for the AO but who knows? In 2012, he lost to Haas in the 250 Halle finals and ended up winning Wimbledon. An 18th slam title at the AO14? Maybe, but probably not?

SYDNEY:
CHAMPION - DEL POTRO. The man is living up to his rank and I expect a good AO run really from him. Good luck JUAN!
RUNNER-UP - TOMIC. Good luck against Nadal, no?

AAMI Classic:
CHAMPION - NISHIKORI. Good job on beating Berdych in the finals (after losing to him in the semis)! I'm hoping Kei goes far in the AO. Expecting him to reach the 4th round at the very least tbh.

I think Nadal and Delpo will be riding on a wave of momentum.

Marc26

HSC

I really wish that they would show whole matches with a lower camera perspective. I really love the low POV cameras which are behind the players and actually highlight the speed of the ball, its bounce, the players footwork and so on. It gives a realistic representation of what pro tennis is actually like rather than the overhead camera view which makes the game look a little slower and drab..

EDIT: As for matches that I look forward to:

Nadal v. Tomic --- Hoping Tomic gets crushed.
Raonic v. Dimitrov
Nadal v. Hewitt
Murray v. Isner
Delpo v. Raonic
Federer v. Tsonga
Nadal v. Delpo
Murray v. Federer/Tsonga
Djokovic v. Wawrinka

Last edited:

Recondit

ヽ(" `Д´)ノ
HSC
Apparently, Simon withdrew due to rolling ankle during Kooyong exo (will take 4-6 weeks). Wish a speedy recovery even though his tennis is boring.

As a seed, depending on how late Simon alerted officials will determine whether there is a reshuffle in seeds -- Benneteau may replace Monfils in draw and Monfils may replace Simon with LL Stephane Robert to enter. If it was too late Robert will directly replace Simon. Nothing confirmed yet.

Marc26

HSC

I hope Federer makes a solid semi run but it will be hard for him. Nadal should go deep into the AO with Djokovic. At this point in time - I'm going to say Nadal will win in 5 sets in the final.

Apparently, Simon withdrew due to rolling ankle during Kooyong exo (will take 4-6 weeks). Wish a speedy recovery even though his tennis is boring.

As a seed, depending on how late Simon alerted officials will determine whether there is a reshuffle in seeds -- Benneteau may replace Monfils in draw and Monfils may replace Simon with LL Stephane Robert to enter. If it was too late Robert will directly replace Simon. Nothing confirmed yet.
Oh god - remember last year in the Monfils v. Simon match. Pusher and pusher = trainwreck

Recondit

ヽ(" `Д´)ノ
HSC
Do my eyes deceive me? Hewitt/Rafter in AO doubles?

Dr Hu

HSC

I still believe in Federer. Age doesn't matter when you're a champion!

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad

I hope Federer makes a solid semi run but it will be hard for him. Nadal should go deep into the AO with Djokovic. At this point in time - I'm going to say Nadal will win in 5 sets in the final.

Oh god - remember last year in the Monfils v. Simon match. Pusher and pusher = trainwreck
If Federer makes it to the semi with this draw... I have hope in a strong 2014 campaign from him :haha:

I loved the Monfils vs Simon match because of the drama. Simon permanently serving 2nd serves from being exhausted :haha:

Marc26

HSC

Ugh tennis is quite average today.. No big names except for Novak tonight.

deloving

HSC

Not a huge tennis fan but will watch around Aus Open time. I hate Murray so I hope he gets out as soon as possible. Need more dark horses like Tsonga. Women's tennis is just boring. It's not athletic enough, although Williams could probably contest that. Oh and Tennis is way too long I watch for like 1-3 hours and I get bored.

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad

Stosur's slice has been really good today.

And her forehand returns on the opponent's 2nd serve has been really solid (not misfiring like she has done in the past).

HSC

Devo when Venus dropped out to Macarova.

photastic

HSC

Poor Roger, he has to beat Tsonga (4th), Murray (QF), Nadal (SF) and Djokovic (F) to win in it. Djokovic has a pretty breezy draw though :(

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad

Djokovic VS Lacko on now.

How many games can Lacko win? :haha:

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad

Recondit

ヽ(" `Д´)ノ
HSC
Lol at scoreline between Thompson and Janowicz

williamdaft

HSC

I still believe in Federer. Age doesn't matter when you're a champion!
Same, Federer's amazing.. still ain't giving up :)

OMGITzJustin

HSC
N/A

laters barty

gwilymprice

HSC

Do my eyes deceive me? Hewitt/Rafter in AO doubles?
I had a similar reaction when I first heard about this doubles combo, however should be a fun spectacle!

I'm flying down with my girlfriend on Thursday for a few days at the tennis and one night a Rod Laver! So keen, never been to a Slam or ATP event, although temperatures reaching low 40s later this week will be interesting! :)

dangerouss

cindy is such a bitch
HSC
Same, Federer's amazing.. still ain't giving up :)
Yep, saw him live last year ! Amazing! Even got his autograph during the AO :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk:

Preliminary HSC '14- Subjects: 2U Maths, Adv. English, Business Studies, Legal Studies,
Economics, Agriculture.

HSC '15- ATAR Goal: 90+

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)