[TENNIS] US Open - Men's Edition 2013 (1 Viewer)

Winner for this year?

• DJOKOVIC

Votes: 4 44.4%
  • NADAL

Votes: 3 33.3%
  • MURRAY

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • FERRER

• BERDYCH

• DEL POTRO

• FEDERER

Votes: 2 22.2%
  • GASQUET

• ISNER

• OTHER

• Total voters

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
Last slam of the year!!!!

Seedings

[1] Novak Djokovic [USO 2011 Champion] - USO performance trend = finalist for 3 consecutive years - Runner-up in 2010, Champion in 2011, Runner-up in 2012. However, worrying signs about recent form --> with Montreal semis loss against Nadal in 3 tight sets and a loss against John Isner in the CINCY-quarters.
[2] Rafael Nadal [USO 2010 Champion] - Immortal on hardcourts this year with a record of 15-0 on hardcourts. He won both the North American Summer hardcourt Masters 1000s [Montreal and Cincy] --> last time this was done - 2003 by Roddick and also by Rafter a few years before that. Roddick and Rafter both have completed the triple North American hardcourt tournament feat --> winning Montreal, Cincy and USO all in the same year. Can Rafa do it too?
[3] Andy Murray [USO 2012 Champion - DEFENDING CHAMPION] - Bad showings at both Montreal [losing to Gulbis early] and Cincy [lost to Berdych in straight sets in the quarters] this year in 2013 but it happened last year as well yet he still won the USO. Will he defend it?
[4] David Ferrer - 2 time semi-finalist at the USO. He is a hardworking person but will never win a slam (realistically) since talent and firepower are much more important if you want to win the greatest titles.
[5] Tomas Berdych - Upsetted Federer last year in the USO12 quarter-finals. He is a threat on hard-court when he's on god-mode with powerful flat-hitting.
[6] Juan Martin Del Potro [USO 2009 Champion] - If his laser forehand is ON, he can beat anybody. He has a chance to make a repeat of 2009.
[7] Roger Federer [5-time USO Champion 2004-2008] - Shocked to see him as the 7th seed? Yeah, it's been a shocking year for the GREATEST OF ALL TIME. Coming into the USO, he lost to Nadal in 3 tight sets in Cincy2013 quarter-finals.
[8] Richard Gasquet - He's seeded 8th since Tsonga pulled out. This guy won't pose too much of a threat at all (realistically).

POSSIBLE QUARTER-FINALS
Djokovic VS Del Potro --> this will be mouth-watering. In Wimbledon2013 semis, Novak got pushed to 5 by Delpo.
Murray VS Berdych --> same as the above. Berdych demolished Murray in their most recent encounter so yeah
Nadal VS Federer --> Nadal leads the H2H against Roger... 21-10 --> i.e. Roger is most likely going to lose the encounter [just like he did in 2013 Cincy quarter-finals]. He just has a mental block against Rafa.
Ferrer VS Gasquet --> Easy one for Ferrer [easiest opponent he could have hoped for]

DARK HORSES

Jerzy Janowicz - He was a Wimbledon2013 semi-finalist. He is in the weaker draw [the bracket where Gasquet and Ferrer awaits --> he can potentially beat these two] so a good run might happen. Potentially USO2013 semi-finalist?
John Isner - Big serving John consecutively defeated 3 top-10 opponents in CINCY2013 Masters 1000. Pushed Nadal to 2 tie-breaks. Can he make an impact?

PREDICTIONS
- It's too hard to predict the winners of Djokovic VS Del Potro and Murray VS Berdych since Delpo + Berdych are deadly when they are ON.
- Nadal, if he doesn't lose early, should beat Federer. Unless Federer conjures up 2006 god-mode, which is unrealistic at this stage, he's going to lose in the quarters again this year. Some walls are impossible to overcome and that might be the case when Roger faces Nadal on the big stage. Here's a fact --> Roger Federer has not beaten Rafael Nadal in a slam since 2007.
- Ferrer should make his 3rd semi-final at the USO.

But anyways, I'm going to make my finalists prediction at random:
Champion - Novak Djokovic
Runner-up - Rafael Nadal

Personal favourite - Roger Federer [hoping that Nadal loses early so Roger has a chance to improve his run - last year, he only made it to the quarters]

Who are your favourites? What are your predictions?

Discuss.

Last edited:

Marc26

HSC
Roger has never played Rafa at the USO though. So there is always a chance, even though the hopes for Roger are slim.

I personally think Rafa will win the USO - he's playing ridiculously good tennis at the moment. Only lost 3 times in total. Won heaps of tournaments.

BTW if you followed Roger's performance from Wimbledon to Gstaad and that other tournament he played, plus Cincy, you notice that he changed racquets and had a back injury (still does i think). However, his performance v. Nadal was exceptional even though he lost.

simplyinsanity

HSC
I personally think Rafa will win the USO - he's playing ridiculously good tennis at the moment. Only lost 3 times in total. Won heaps of tournaments.

Agreed. :D

I think the final will be Nadal d Djokovic. After all, if things go wrong, Nadal can hit Djokovic in the face again! :p (with a ball, obviously)

FBJ

HSC
N/A
Rafa in great form this year wining Indian Wells, Montreal, Cincinatti. I think he will win as he has shown he can fully match Novak on the hard courts. (he beat Novak in Montreal semi)

no longer like '11 where he kept losing to djokovic, he is now playing more aggressively

Marc26

HSC
Yes, his new game plan of playing ultra aggressive on the fast hard courts has proven to be very successful.
He can hit his lines better than most and that will be enough against the likes of Djokovic - as we have seen.
Not only are his ground strokes impeccable, his serve is one of trickiest to anticipate.
When he played Isner in Cincy, he would serve a 110mph slice down the middle or out wide on break points. Even with Isner's huge reach, he struggled and this left him very open to winners from Nadal's end.
As a lefty, serving can be very fun :D I know because I do it all day.

Rafa is the most solid player on tour at the moment.
Also he has a winning record against the top 30. Hard to argue against that.

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
Rafa is indeed in great form.

Any calls for upsets?

Any earlier round matches that you guys look forward to?

I mean there's many good players out there besides the top 8 seeds.

E.g. Isner, Haas, Jerzy Janowicz, Dimitrov, etc.

Recondit

ヽ(" `Д´)ノ
HSC
I think the tall guys ie. Delpotro, Isner and Janowicz have a good chance to go deep in the draw in this us open edition

FBJ

HSC
N/A
Davydenko may beat rafa, has won the last 6 h/c matches against him, gonna be a tough match

simplyinsanity

HSC
Davydenko may beat rafa, has won the last 6 h/c matches against him, gonna be a tough match
Not since 2011 and 2 of those were indoor matches. But I agree, it should be an interesting match :)

shved

HSC
Bold prediction: Federer will lose before quarters.

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
Bold prediction: Federer will lose before quarters.
Well, nowadays you never know what Roger can pull off.

He can beat anybody on a good day yet lose to a nobody on a bad day.

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
Yeah Hewitt had a chance to serve out the second set and now has break points up 4-3 in fourth set on Delpos serve
Its 2 sets all.

Hewitt does a masterclass TB.

Winning 7-2 after winning the first 6 points of it.

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
So Hewitt gives Delpo a breadstick in the 5th set.

Possible quarter finals --> Hewitt vs Djokovic now?

kewon

HSC
i doubt he can get there.. at this stage in his career hewitt tends to pull off occasional upsets but nothing consistent

Marc26

HSC
Lleyton Hewitttttttttt

So happy for him! Lol'd at all the hardcore Delpo fanatics

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
Lleyton Hewitttttttttt

So happy for him! Lol'd at all the hardcore Delpo fanatics

:')

His first top 10 at the USO in years since the time he beat Sampras to win the USO in 2001.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)