terms you need to know for sparta (1 Viewer)

were these terms useful to you?

• Total voters

sonia.carpenter

HSC
Ancient Sparta

I need to know and understand these words terms and their definitions:

A: Geography

• Laconia: defines the area of land surrounding Sparta – the villages, the Laconian plain etc. the area between the two mountain ranges – Taygetus to the west and Parnon to the east.
  • Messenia: the neighbouring state to Sparta (west, across the Taygetus ranges) that is made up of many green and fertile plains. It was conquered by the Spartans. The population became helots.
  • Mt Ithome: the largest mountain out of the mountain ranges in Messenia. It became a symbol of freedom to the helots and was a centre for their organised rebellions.
  • Tarentum: a city-state at the bottom Italy. The only city-state ever colonised by Sparta, not conquered. The population were cast out inferiors from Sparta; a result of a dispute to the reforms of the great Rhetra. No contact existed between the two.
  • Peloponnese: the entire section of land connected to mainland Greece by an isthmus. It contains several Greek city states that form the Peloponnesian league: and some others as well. Those that form the league are: Sparta, Corinth, Tegea, Mantinea, Gytheon, Patre, Elis, Troizen, Ochomenos and more.
  • Thermopylae: a Greek plain where the historically renowned battle between the Spartan army and the Persians was fought. There were only 300 Spartiate warriors but they were supported by numerous Periokei and helot hoplites.
  • Lakedaemon: another name that defines the same area as Laconia. The same area, between the Taygetus and Parnon ranges is the Lakedaemon.
  • Mt Taygetus: the mountain ranges that defined the border of Sparta and also protected it. Across these ranges to the west was the conquered city-state of Messenia. It is extremely difficult, even today, to cross the Taygetus ranges.
  • Eurotas: the river that nourished and made fertile the Laconian plain. It was the sole source of water for the Spartans and was constantly flowing due to water run-off from the two sets of snow-capped mountain ranges each side of Sparta. The areas around the Eurotas were used chiefly for agricultural purposes.:wave:

sonia.carpenter

HSC
more terms, this time human names!

B: Names (Human)

• Lycurgus (lycurgos, lykourgus, etc): the legendary? Lawgiver of Spartan history. It will never be defined whether he existed or not; and there is many theories surrounding the mystery of the lawgiver’s existence; whether he was a single individual or multiple; an ideal or demi-god; not even the Spartan’s truly knew. His name was chiefly used to instil fear and respect in the younger Spartan population. Many of the ways, ideal, morals, laws, systems and functions of Sparta were reformed by Lycurgus during the period of the second Messenian war. His reforms were accepted and adopted by Sparta because ‘he’ claimed that they were given to him by the god Apollos in the ‘oracle of Delphi.’ He wrote them down in what became known as ‘the great Rhetra.’
  • Dorian: defines the race of Greeks who were iron-age. (The founders who populated the Peloponnese were Dorian Greeks)
  • Leonidas: the great and probably most famous king of Sparta; mainly due to the fact that he led the Spartan army of 300 (as well and numerous Periokei and helots) into the fabled, fatal battle of Thermopylae. This amazing story of human courage and bravery has immortalised the image of the perfect Spartan king and army.
  • Zeus: Zeus of the Greeks must not be confused with the roman deity of the same name, however they perform the same function in both societies; the father of the gods. He is significant to the Spartans however chiefly as the father of their demi-god ancestors of their kings; Helen of Sparta, Herakles and the Discouri (Castor and Polydeuces or Pollux.) the two royal families of Sparta claim to be descendents of these four demi-gods. (Children of Zeus and various mortal women.):wave:

sonia.carpenter

HSC
this time it is terms with religious connections.

C: Religious connections

• Apollo: Apollo is (was?) the god of chief importance to the Spartans. The sun god who determined day and night, good or bad harvest, whether or not they went to battle was one whom the Spartans worshipped with great many festivities, rituals and sacrifices. It was Apollo who was said to have decreed the reforms of Spartan society that were implemented by Lycurgus. Lycurgus was said to have been a prophet of Apollo and that was why the reforms to the Spartan way of life were adopted readily and with earnest.
  • Zeus: the Greek Zeus was the father of all gods and the father of the Spartans through his demi-god children Helen, Herakles, Castor and Polydeuces. He was of a great significance to Spartan society and religion, and readily worshipped by the Spartans. He was given two special names which also later became the names of the cults who followed him particularly; led by the kings. These names were Ouranios and Lakedaimonios.
  • Artemis: or, Artemis Orthea. The goddess of wisdom and the hunt, Artemis was believed to have watched especially over Sparta in times of war. She was worshipped in a special festival were it has been rumoured the young males of Sparta tested their endurance, and was known to be one of the most violent of festivals. It involved the boys running and snatching the holy cheeses from between the temple and the altar, put there for her honour. After being caught with the stolen cheeses they were whipped viciously. It is hard to know what really happened in this festival because the sources are from the period when the Romans developed this spectacle into a tourist attraction.
  • Orthia: another name for the goddess known as Artemis, Artemis Orthea, Artemis Orthia, or Orthia.
  • Hyakinthia: this was the most important festival to the Spartans. It was held at the ancient shrine of Amyclae, outside of Sparta. Possibly it was originally to worship the vegetation god, Hyakinthos who was killed when Apollo accidentally hit him with a discus. Cartiledge (modern historian of Sparta) believes it was a ritual for the dead and re-incarnation. It was also a festival to praise Apollo. Thus it was known for being a very peculiar festival to the Spartans religious activities.:wave:

sonia.carpenter

HSC
hey everyone viewing this thread, i hope it helps with something, but id just like to remind you that for all these terms i used the help of the textbook, so it might not be a good idea to quote me directly. please if you do use any info from my thread, answer the poll or give a quick reply and let me know what you think!
cool, thanx.

sonia.:wave:

X

xeuyrawp

sonia.carpenter said:
  • Zeus: Zeus of the Greeks must not be confused with the roman deity of the same name, however they perform the same function in both societies; the father of the gods.
Greek Zeus = Roman Jupiter. There is no Roman deity with the same name.

Bainesy

HSC
I think your list for Names is vastly incomplete. What about some spartan kings other than Leonidis? some historians?

and for the religious section, I do believe Paul Cartledge is the correct spelling of the Spartan Historian, not cartiledge

E

Empyrean444

sonia.carpenter said:
this time it is terms with religious connections.

C: Religious connections
  • Apollo: Apollo is (was?) the god of chief importance to the Spartans. The sun god who determined day and night, good or bad harvest, whether or not they went to battle was one whom the Spartans worshipped with great many festivities, rituals and sacrifices. It was Apollo who was said to have decreed the reforms of Spartan society that were implemented by Lycurgus. Lycurgus was said to have been a prophet of Apollo and that was why the reforms to the Spartan way of life were adopted readily and with earnest.
"Was" is the correct term here, not "is" (you should always speak in past tense, unless referring to mod. historian or possibly an excerpt from an ancient written source). Apollo was also the god (I think...) of the arts/music etc - think back to Spartan poets (ie Alkman, Tyrtaois (not sure on spelling) etc)

• Zeus: the Greek Zeus was the father of all gods and the father of the Spartans through his demi-god children Helen, Herakles, Castor and Polydeuces. He was of a great significance to Spartan society and religion, and readily worshipped by the Spartans. He was given two special names which also later became the names of the cults who followed him particularly; led by the kings. These names were Ouranios and Lakedaimonios.
He was not the father of all the gods. It is more important to mention that he was the king/ruler of the gods.

• Artemis: or, Artemis Orthea. The goddess of wisdom and the hunt, Artemis was believed to have watched especially over Sparta in times of war. She was worshipped in a special festival were it has been rumoured the young males of Sparta tested their endurance, and was known to be one of the most violent of festivals. It involved the boys running and snatching the holy cheeses from between the temple and the altar, put there for her honour. After being caught with the stolen cheeses they were whipped viciously. It is hard to know what really happened in this festival because the sources are from the period when the Romans developed this spectacle into a tourist attraction.
Artemis Orthia/Orthea was not the goddess of wisdom. She was the goddess of nature, fertility (I believe) and possibly (memory not too good) Of child birth - at the very least I think she was associated with it, even if not its highest patron. The actual goddess of Wisdom (whom may also be possibly worth a mention) is Pallas Athena. I also think it was Athena, not Artemis, who would have watched over Sp. in times of war, as she was also a goddess of war.

I think we can safely say that it wasn't 'rumoured' that the boys tested their endurance. We can be pretty certain that they Did!

I also think you should rephrase your description to say that the "boys were scourged/whipped/lashed/flagellated while they stole the cheeses - kind of like a "running of the gauntlet"

• Orthia: another name for the goddess known as Artemis, Artemis Orthea, Artemis Orthia, or Orthia.
  • Hyakinthia: this was the most important festival to the Spartans. It was held at the ancient shrine of Amyclae, outside of Sparta. Possibly it was originally to worship the vegetation god, Hyakinthos who was killed when Apollo accidentally hit him with a discus. Cartiledge (modern historian of Sparta) believes it was a ritual for the dead and re-incarnation. It was also a festival to praise Apollo. Thus it was known for being a very peculiar festival to the Spartans religious activities.:wave:
Hyakinthos was the son of a Spartan king - he was not a god before he was killed, and was certainly not a patron of anything (though he may have been deified, as, for example, Helen and Menelaus were. Even this, though, doesn't make him a god).

That should clear up some errors here (I can't be 100% on my accuracy, as this is all from memory).

Just one final note, as you would realise, these lists are not nearly extensive enough to cover all the terms needed for Sparta (ie govt, army, more on festivals, helots/perioikoi etc).

Last edited by a moderator:

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
Empyrean444 said:
Artemis Orthia/Orthea was not the goddess of wisdom. She was the goddess of nature, fertility (I believe) and possibly (memory not too good) Of child birth - at the very least I think she was associated with it, even if not its highest patron. The actual goddess of Wisdom (whom may also be possibly worth a mention) is Pallas Athena. I also think it was Athena, not Artemis, who would have watched over Sp. in times of war, as she was also a goddess of war.
uh... Athena was the patron goddess of Athens, i seriously doubt she would have been turned to in times of war, why would Sparta worship their enemies patron goddess? (depending on the time period of course)

Keep in mind different deities are worshiped differently for different things over a variety of cultures, these things are not set in stone, Artemis particularly had different roles in Sparta than what she had in Athens.

Last edited:
E

Empyrean444

-may-cat- said:
uh... Athena was the patron goddess of Athens, i seriously doubt she would have been turned to in times of war, why would Sparta worship their enemies patron goddess? (depending on the time period of course)

Keep in mind different deities are worshiped differently for different things over a variety of cultures, these things are not set in stone, Artemis particularly had different roles in Sparta than what she had in Athens.
I can understand your logic, but nonetheless must demur. Athena was a cardinal goddess of both wisdom and war. She is the patron of both of these before she is the patron of Athens, and hence I see no reason why this would discourage the Spartans from worshipping her.

Its true that cultures aren't set in stone, but I think the point still stands that Artemis was not the goddess of wisdom.

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
Empyrean444 said:
I can understand your logic, but nonetheless must demur. Athena was a cardinal goddess of both wisdom and war. She is the patron of both of these before she is the patron of Athens, and hence I see no reason why this would discourage the Spartans from worshipping her.

Its true that cultures aren't set in stone, but I think the point still stands that Artemis was not the goddess of wisdom.
Give evidence Athena's different forms are structured so, please

Galladrim

HSC
Give evidence Athena's different forms are structured so, please
Ah, the inner historian beckons, and I simply cannot resist it's call. Let me show you:

Athena was the goddess or protector of towns and cities, and so naturally almost every city would have a dedication to here in one form or another.

The temple of Athena Alea was built in Tegea for the worship of Athena:

http://www.goddess-athena.org/Museum/Temples/Tegea.htm

"This sanctuary had been respected from early days by all the Peloponnesians, and afforded peculiar safety to its suppliants" (Pausanias, Description of Greece iii.5.6)

Now Tegea is just north of Sparta, if you look on the map here.

http://www.summagallicana.it/lessico/a/Anite Tegea.jpg

But, if you want really conclusive evidence, in Sparta itself, well then...

CULT IN LAKEDAIMONIA (SOUTHERN GREECE)

I.I) AKROPOLIS OF SPARTA Chief City of Lakedaimonia

Pausanias, Description of Greece 3. 17. 2 - 4 :
"There are, however, hills in the city [of Sparta], and the highest of them they call the citadel. Here is built a sanctuary of Athena, who is called both Polioukhos (City-protecting) and Khalkioikon (Lady of the Bronze House). The building of the sanctuary was begun, they say, by [the mythical king] Tyndareus. On his death his children were desirous of making a second attempt to complete the building, and the resources they intended to use were the spoils of Aphidna. They too left it unfinished, and it was many years afterwards that the Lakedaemonians made of bronze both the temple and the image of Athena. The builder was Gitiadas, a native of Sparta, who also composed Dorian lyrics, including a hymn to the goddess. On the bronze are wrought in relief many of the labours of Herakles and many of the voluntary exploits he successfully carried out, besides the rape of the daughters of Leukippos and other achievements of the sons of Tyndareus. There is also Hephaistos releasing his mother from the fetters ... There are also represented nymphs bestowing upon Perseus, who is starting on his enterprise against Medousa in Libya, a cap and the shoes by which he was to be carried through the air. There are also wrought the birth of Athena, Amphitrite, and Poseidon, the largest figures, and those which I thought the best worth seeing. There is here another sanctuary of Athena; her surname is Ergane (the Worker)."

Pausanias, Description of Greece 3. 17. 7 :
"By the side of the altar of [Athena] Khalkioikon (the Lady of the Bronze House) stand two statues of [the historical Spartan] Pausanias, the general at Plataia . . . Pausanias was detected in his treachery [against his own country], and was the only suppliant of Khalkioikon (the Lady of the Bronze House) [Athena] who failed to win security, solely because he had been unable to wipe away a defilement of bloodshed."

Pausanias, Description of Greece 4. 15. 5 :
"It was the view of [the historical Messenian leader] Aristomenes that any man would be ready to die in battle if he had first done deeds worthy of record, but that it was his own especial task at the very beginning of the war to prove that he had struck terror into the Lakedaimonians and that he would be more terrible to them for the future. With this purpose he came by night to Lakedaimon and fixed on the temple of Athena Khalkioikon (of the Brazen House) a shield inscribed `The Gift of Aristomenes to the Goddess, taken from Spartans.'"

Pausanias, Description of Greece 10. 5. 11 :
"The Lakedaimonians still possess a sanctuary of Athena of the Bronze House."

Pseudo-Plutarch, Greek and Roman Parallel Stories 10 (trans. Babbitt) (Greek historian C2nd A.D.) :
"Pausanias, the [historical] Spartan general, accepted five hundred talents of gold from Xerxes and intended to betray Sparta. But when he was detected, Agesilaüs, his father, helped to pursue him to the temple of Athena Khalkioikos (of the Brazen House); the father walled up the doors of the shrine with bricks and killed his son by starvation. So says Khrysermos in the second book of his Histories."

Aelian, Historical Miscellany 9. 49 (trans. Wilson) (Greek rhetorician C2nd to 3rd A.D.) :
"Pausanias the Spartan . . . was in the temple of Khalikioikis (the Goddess of the Bronze House), struggling against hunger and on the point of death." [N.B. This temple of Athena was the main building in the city centre at Sparta, and a place of refuge for suppliants.]

Suidas s.v. Khalkioikos (trans. Suda On Line) (Byzantine Greek lexicon C10th A.D.) :
"Khalkioikos (of the Bronze House) : Athena in Sparta. The term arose either because she has a bronze house; or because it is a solid one; or because exiles from Khalkis in Euboia founded it."

I.II) LOWER CITY OF SPARTA Chief City of Lakedaimonia

Pausanias, Description of Greece 3. 11. 9 (trans. Jones) (Greek travelogue C2nd A.D.) :
"On their market-place the Spartans have images . . . of Zeus Agoraios (of the Market-place), another of Athena Agoraia (of the Market-place)."

Pausanias, Description of Greece 3. 11. 11 :
"[In Sparta] besides the old Courts of the Ephors . . . there is also [a statue of] Zeus Xenios (Hospitable) and Athena Xenia (Hospitable)."

Pausanias, Description of Greece 3. 12. 5 :
"[On the Aphetid road in Sparta] is a precinct of Poseidon of Tainaron . . . and near by an image of Athena, which is said to have been dedicated by the colonists who left for Tarenton in Italia."

Pausanias, Description of Greece 3. 12. 4 :
"On the opposite side of the office of the Bidiaians [in Sparta, Lakedaimonia] is a sanctuary of Athena. Odysseus is said to have set up the image and to have named it Keleuthea (Lady of the Road), when he had beaten the suitors of Penelope in the foot-race. Of Keleuthea he set up sanctuaries, three in number, at some distance from each other."

Pausanias, Description of Greece 3. 15. 6 :
"As you go from the Course [in Sparta] towards the east, there is a path on the right, with a sanctuary of Athena called Axiopoinos (Just Requital or Avenging). For when Herakles, in avenging himself on Hippokoon and his sons, had inflicted upon them a just requital for their treatment of his relative, he founded a sanctuary of Athena, and surnamed her Axiopoinos because the ancients used to call vengeance poinai. There is another sanctuary of Athena on another road from the Course. It was dedicated, they say, by Theras son of Autesion son of Tisamenos son of Thersandros, when he was leading a colony to the island now called Thera after him."

Pausanias, Description of Greece 3. 18. 2 :
"As you go towards what is called the Alpion [in Sparta] is a temple of Athena Ophthalmitis (Goddess of the Eye). They say that [the historical leader] Lykourgus dedicated it when one of his eyes had been struck out by Alkandros, because the laws he had made happened not to find favour with Alkandros. Having fled to this place he was saved by the Lakedaemonians from losing his remaining eye, and so he made this temple of Athena Ophthalmitis."

II) Near SPARTA Chief City of Lakedaimonia

Pausanias, Description of Greece 3. 20. 8 :
"On the road from Sparta to Arkadia there stands in the open an image of Athena surnamed Pareia (Healer)."

III) AMYKLAI Town in Lakedaimonia

Pausanias, Description of Greece 3. 13. 6 :
"Not far from Karneos [in Amyklai, Lakedaimonia] is what is called . . . the starting-place of the race run by the suitors of Penelope. There is a place having its porticoes in the form of a square, where of old stuff used to be sold to the people. By this is an altar of Zeus Amboulios (Counsellor) and of Athena Amboulia (Counsellor), also of the Dioskouroi, likewise surnamed Amboulioi (Counsellors)."

Pausanias, Description of Greece 3. 19. 7 :
"Another road from the city [of Amyklai, Lakedaimonia] leads to Therapne, and on this road is a wooden image of Athena Alea."

IV) KYTHION Village in Lakedaimonia

Pausanias, Description of Greece 3. 21. 9 :
"On the citadel [of Kythion, Lakedaimonia] have been built a temple and image of Athena."

V) AKRIAI Village in Lakedaimonia

Pausanias, Description of Greece 3. 22. 9 :
"On the citadel [of Akriai, Lakedaimonia] is also a sanctuary of Athena, surnamed Kyparissia (Cypress Goddess). At the foot of the citadel are the ruins of a city called the City of the Parakyparissian (Those who live beside the Cypress Goddess) Akhaians."

VI) ONOGNATHOS Promontory in Lakedaimonia

Pausanias, Description of Greece 3. 22. 10 :
"Two hundred stades from Asopos [in Lakedaimonia] there juts out into the sea a headland, which they call Onognathos (Jaw of an Ass). Here is a sanctuary of Athena, having neither image nor roof. Agamemnon is said to have made it."

VII) EPIDAUROS LIMERA Village in Lakedaimonia

Pausanias, Description of Greece 3. 23. 10 :
"In Epidaurus Limera [in Lakedaimonia] is . . . a temple of Athena on the acropolis."

VIII) BRASIAI Village in Lakedaimonia

Pausanias, Description of Greece 3. 24. 5 :
"There is a small promontory at Brasiai [in Lakedaimonia], which projects gently into the sea; on it stand bronze figures, not more than a foot high [of the Korybantes] . . . and a statue of Athena makes a fourth."

IX) LAS Village in Lakedaimonia

Pausanias, Description of Greece 3. 24. 7 :
"Among the ruins [of Las, Lakedaimonia] is a temple of Athena named Asia, made, it is said, by Polydeukes and Kastor on their return home from Kolkhis; for the Kolkhians had a shrine of Athena Asia. I know that the sons of Tyndareus took part in Jason's expedition. As to the Kolkhians honoring Athena Asia, I give what I heard from the Lakedaimonians."

X) HIPPOLA Village in Lakedaimonia

Pausanias, Description of Greece 3. 25. 9 :
"The ruins of a city Hippola [in Lakedaimonia]; among them is a sanctuary of Athena Hippolaitis."

XI) LEUKTRA Town in Lakedaimonia

Pausanias, Description of Greece 3. 26. 5 :
"On the acropolis [of Leuktra, Lakedaimonia] is a sanctuary and image of Athena."

Hope that's conclusive enough :lol:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)