terrorist attack poll (1 Viewer)

what do you feel is the likelyhood of a terrorist attack in australia?

• very likely

Votes: 10 18.2%
  • possible

Votes: 20 36.4%
  • unlikely

Votes: 19 34.5%
  • impossible

Votes: 6 10.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
First it was Hitler, and now the terrorists. Poor poor Pols.

marlosian

HSC
wouldnt you agree that the australian government intends to play on the emotions of the people through fear of the so called threat of terrorism and the iraq war to supress our society and to gain power and control?

davin

HSC
N/A
care to explain the charges of supressing society and gaining power and control?

that, or how you can claim that there is no threat of terrorism to australia when australian citizens have already been the targets of terrorism?

also, its worth noting that the wording of the original question's choices really ruins any key insight as there's two questions. one is if its possible to attack australia or not, and the other is how likely it is (very likely or unlikly). one is just if it is possible to do so, the other is the likelyhood. the choices with the given question should've been more along the likes of "unavoidable" (theres a better word eluding me atm), "very likely", "somewhat likely", "unlikely", "highly unlikely"

Last edited:

absolution*

ymyum
HSC
Questions of probability are essentially meaningless when you have no control over the actors or conditions involved.

A more meaningful question would be, 'Are you scared of a terrorist attack occuring?'

My answer would be no.

HotShot

-_-
HSC
SashatheMan said:
i think it would happen, maybe not on a big scale, but something small.
small = robbery not terrorism big=terrorism

just cause australian citizens have been invovled in terrorism doesnt mean that terrosism will happen in australia. i personally think it is impossible simply cos our population is too low, and its not worth it.

u could kill thousands of people in indonesia, america etc. but in australia u might manage 100.

so for that reason i dont think terrorists are gonna waste time in australia.

davin

HSC
N/A
if a bomb goes off somewhere, even if its not effective, it might well have been an act of terrorism, but would be catagorised as small because it wasn't effective or on that large a scale. just one example.

HotShot

-_-
HSC
davin said:
if a bomb goes off somewhere, even if its not effective, it might well have been an act of terrorism, but would be catagorised as small because it wasn't effective or on that large a scale. just one example.
nah i was just joking around.

i hope nothing happens in Australia. if it does , i think it will have significant impact.

SashatheMan

StudyforEver
HSC
N/A
HotShot said:
small = robbery not terrorism big=terrorism

just cause australian citizens have been invovled in terrorism doesnt mean that terrosism will happen in australia. i personally think it is impossible simply cos our population is too low, and its not worth it.

u could kill thousands of people in indonesia, america etc. but in australia u might manage 100.

so for that reason i dont think terrorists are gonna waste time in australia.

how about, the morning rush train to central. Suicide bomber gets in the first carriage, gets packed into the middle of all the people, and then boom. The train goes of the tracks. all dead in the first few carriages

fleepbasding

HSC TUTOR
HSC
SashatheMan said:
how about, the morning rush train to central. Suicide bomber gets in the first carriage, gets packed into the middle of all the people, and then boom. The train goes of the tracks. all dead in the first few carriages
I contend that the quote in your sig is incorrectly attributed.

SashatheMan

StudyforEver
HSC
N/A
fleepbasding said:
I contend that the quote in your sig is incorrectly attributed.
even though, i dont really care who said it, i just like the quote, i would take up your challenge to prove me wrong. but show me the person who actually said it first .

fleepbasding

HSC TUTOR
HSC
SashatheMan said:
even though, i dont really care who said it, i just like the quote, i would take up your challenge to prove me wrong. but show me the person who actually said it first .
well, my impression is that it was said by someone named Stephen Roberts on the internet in 1995. That is what I've gathered from some preliminary googling.

EDIT: Oh, and I think it is a great quote to.

HotShot

-_-
HSC
SashatheMan said:
yeah but they could kill more people doing in that in india, they dont even need to wake up early. or in japan.

davin

HSC
N/A
HotShot said:
yeah but they could kill more people doing in that in india, they dont even need to wake up early. or in japan.
yeah, but there's not a motivation there.
india isn't stronly associated with the western world, and japan...japan would be tough just because they're so strict in their rules on foreigners. and again not a western power, really.

HotShot

-_-
HSC
davin said:
yeah, but there's not a motivation there.
india isn't stronly associated with the western world, and japan...japan would be tough just because they're so strict in their rules on foreigners. and again not a western power, really.
india = lol terrorism is everywhere there, southside =LTTE, northside u got the maoists, bondos, then u got extremist hindus, and then u have nice pakistan,.

its surrounded by terrorism. thats why india has the largest paramilitary force.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indian_Paramilitary_forces

so u make think they have no strong links with the western world, but they dont need to..

forget japan, there are highly dense populated countries, indonesia, pakistan, etc.

davin

HSC
N/A
ok, i should specify that my statement was based on terrorism from islamic terrorism...the sort of terrorism that is the greatest threat to us. india has different causes of terrorism, which seem to be predominantly those of independence. the terrorism the western world is facing, and what i'd argue is most relevant here, is not terrorism of that cause, now that the IRA and the Basques have both stopped using violence.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)